MiniTorque.com banner
381 - 396 of 396 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,451 Posts
was that at VW? Only place I'd be letting it go imo, and one with their own shop on site too. In fact insist on it, they can't refuse really.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #382 ·
was that at VW? Only place I'd be letting it go imo, and one with their own shop on site too. In fact insist on it, they can't refuse really.
Yeah that was VW bodyshop did the whole claim through them/enterprise and avoided my insurers due to it being completely non fault.

No chance it was going anywhere else.

Did the same when the BM got hit but a drunk motor cyclist.

Got the unsurprising news a couple of days ago that it’s a total loss.

So have lined up a replacement for once the payout is sorted. Going Volvo (and not white as they seem to be bad luck for us!) this time though as couldn’t find the same spec Tiguan so would only resent it if we got another.

Had one as a hire car previously and loved it.

Mini is driving awesome got to have a bit more of a play with the diff and absolutely love it, can’t wait to go full beans on track!

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
Been on holiday for two weeks, still waiting for the pay out on the family wagon but will be picking up our new car on Saturday.

Was driving a 130bhp diesel outlander whilst on holiday, jumping back into the Mini yesterday felt like a rocket ship haha

Have booked Snetterton for August and I also booked September there at the start of the year so hoping to be able to put in some quick tidy laps by then given I would have done it 3 times back to back haha

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #384 ·
Nothing huge to report, got the new family car and the insurance pay out sorted so glad that saga is over.

The mini is looking a bit rough where it’s not been cleaned for ages.

Got a ‘sport’ aerial for my birthday so no more dodgem style antenna. And the radio still works which is a bonus as when ever I’ve gone to short aerials in the past reception has been awful.

There’s a mini being broken near me, a few bits I fancied but couldn’t justify them as they’re not necessities.

It did have a pro alloy intercooler on it though which has always been the one I preferred. Ended up going airtec as it came up for a good price, this was also a good price so the plan is to test them against each other when I go to Snetterton in August.

Will get the pro fitted beforehand due to it being trickier then swap to the airtec in the afternoon session. Whichever performs the best stays, the loser will be sold.

As Shaun mentioned in Alan’s thread the pro alloy is surprising light compared to rivals so will be interesting to see how it fares.

I don’t have anything to do data logging so will just be glancing at values on the ultra gauge at various points to check IAT’s and how they recover.

A previous owner has added the weather strips to aid sealing to the bonnet but I’ll see if they’re required or not.

Also got a nearly new 1320 bypass valve.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 · (Edited)
Got the intercoolers swapped over today, wasn’t too bad a job took a while as I was being cautious not to snap the charge pipe getting the horn and BPV off the studs.

Then removed the studs and refitted everything, again being cautious not to damage the charge pipe, it’s all back together and no boost leaks thus far which is good!

Tried using the stock scoop diverter to help funnel the air to the cooler like the airtec does but I’ll need to play with it slightly as the bottom lip touches the cooler.

@Alan16ac / @CarsOrBikes , did you use the diverter or do it without?

Some pics to compare the coolers and before and after:

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,451 Posts
what does the lump of an airtec weigh?

I think I left the bonnet diverter stock

Reactions: Fro-dizzle

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #387 · (Edited)
what does the lump of an airtec weigh?

I think I left the bonnet diverter stock
thanks, that’s what I’m going for, had to remove the sponge so far as it blocks the extra rows at the rear, and some to the right hopefully get it finished tomorrow.

I forgot to weigh it, will weigh that and the standard one tomorrow.

there’s an M7 direct flow cooler on eBay I’m tempted to get to test too run the risk of being stuck with it 😂

·
Premium Member
6,451 Posts
pretty sure the sponge on Alan's sits on the IC's diverter, certainly two of the three sides iirc, will have another look when it's here for something soon

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 ·
Got out for a drive this evening, either the cooler is losing less boost or the 1320 bypass valve is helping hold boost better.

12.8 psi with the pro alloy and new BPV.
11.9psi with the airtec and old BPV

not fair to compare temperature performance as it’s 6 degrees colder than when I last drove it with the sorted so we’ll see on the 16th.

Got to push the quaife a bit tonight, what a piece of kit! Cornering has improved massively, itching to push it properly on track.

·
Premium Member
6,451 Posts
Got out for a drive this evening, either the cooler is losing less boost or the 1320 bypass valve is helping hold boost better.

12.8 psi with the pro alloy and new BPV.
11.9psi with the airtec and old BPV

not fair to compare temperature performance as it’s 6 degrees colder than when I last drove it with the sorted so we’ll see on the 16th.

Got to push the quaife a bit tonight, what a piece of kit! Cornering has improved massively, itching to push it properly on track.
so are you planning to swap the BPV's?

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #395 · (Edited)
so are you planning to swap the BPV's?
Will use the 1320 BPV when I put the Airtec back on for the afternoon session at Snetteron, that way it's only the intercooler that is the difference between the two set ups and will see what boost figures come out on the day.

IAT will be a bit crude with me checking temps at various points in track as I don't have the full access but should give me an idea which is better.

AEM AFR/Lambda gauge also arrived today so will be trying to get that fitted into the air vent to the left of the steering wheel before hand too. Just need to work out how to get the wire into the vent ducting. That was more a piece of mine purchasing given I do at least a few days a year now.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
AFR Gauge fitted and also swapped the ultra gauge holder for a shorter version as it was obscured slightly by the steering wheel.

Want to colour the ring on the oil temp gauge at some point.

Also finished swapping the pads and discs over to my track set ahead of next week.

Just need to change the brake fluid and give it some kind of bath!

381 - 396 of 396 Posts