MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re-fitted the interior bits:

Just the front cup holders to paint when the extra paint arrives. Then the door cards to finish at a later date due to being plastic welded in, thought about masking it and spraying but might be a recipe for overspray carnage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Car progress has slowed down a bit due to a new arrival being a project of her own.

Got some time in on the car today though and fitted the passenger side recaro.

Heater elements are on the way with which I’ll get the Recaros heated by adding the thermistor from the standard heated seats to the aftermarket elements then wire everything up to the standard plugs. Have a few months to finish this though as isn’t really needed until autumn/winter.

Next step will be wheels and brakes, I like the style of the crown wheels but I also want 4pots and won’t get them in there. So am going for the R112 wheels.

As I’ll be refurbish anyway I’m planning on building up a set from odds and ends then will get them refurbed.

Pics of both seats fitted:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
514 Posts
Seats look awesome buddy, one thing from a Corsa VXR I do really like!!!

Have you been able to retain the side airbags on those, also guess the seat still moves fine on the runners and the height adjustment works?

Would love some recaros in mine but I'll never stretch to a set of genuine Mini ones, might keep an eye out for a set of these (y) (y)

Hope all's going well with the new arrival, my youngest is two now but still very much au fait with sleepless nights and stinky nappies :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
514 Posts
.....oh and I bloody love R112's.....bloody difficult to find used (I've had a look!).

TBH another (cheaper) approach might be to get the crown's painted black/dark anthracite or similar and just go with R56 S brakes with a decent disc/pad combo. Night and day over the stock brakes by all account. I'm doing this once my front discs and pads are shot (y)

Mod A Mini sell new TRW calipers, carriers and HEL lines as a package for just over 200 quid, can have them painted too if you like. Just discs and pads to get then.

I'd like some budwegs as well but I personally couldn't bring myself to change out the wheels just to have them over the R56 option...but entirely a personal thing bud

·
Premium Member
4,867 Posts
the 316mm kit though will make a significant difference again to the 294's which already are a very significant change to stock size, plus they're a fixed caliper, opposed pistons, I'm not so sure about a few stories of overheating calipers, plenty of these are used on track or all out race cars, differing pads, or fluid, use, condition, as with anything at a higher level of performance especially using non standard parts, the need for inspection/maintenance/service is greater, it's little use ignoring it and whinging later that there is a melted dust cover or other advanced symptom as some do.

·
Registered
514 Posts
For sure if tracking it a lot then the 4 pots probably make sense, probably a bit overkill for the road tho unless you are running big power. The Mini isn't a big heavy car, the stock brakes are a bit cack but it doesn't need much to make it far better. TBF I don't doubt fresh stock brakes with decent aftermarket discs and pads are a fair bit better than entirely stock.

Had a similar issue with my old Forester S Turbo....the OE brakes weren't in terrible shape but wooden as hell and didn't inspire much confidence in something that as a 180ish bhp turbo 4wd wagon was pretty capable. I ended up putting Black Diamond grooved OE size discs and Predator pads on all round and it was a revelation. TBF I think it already had pretty good 2 pot front brakes on it anyway but the discs and pads were night and day.

All boils down to personal preference and willingness to spend doesn't it (y)

·
Registered
2007 Mini Cooper S R56
623 Posts
Nice to see these seats in place. Lovely looking interior.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G960F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Seats look awesome buddy, one thing from a Corsa VXR I do really like!!!

Have you been able to retain the side airbags on those, also guess the seat still moves fine on the runners and the height adjustment works?

Would love some recaros in mine but I'll never stretch to a set of genuine Mini ones, might keep an eye out for a set of these (y) (y)

Hope all's going well with the new arrival, my youngest is two now but still very much au fait with sleepless nights and stinky nappies :ROFLMAO:
Cheers!

I've read that it might be possible to wire them up, but depends on the resistance, I've disabled them using NCS Expert for now. So essentially it's the same as if it had the R53 Sparcos in as they didn't come with airbags either.

Genuine R56 Recaro's ones go for crazy money, these were around a quarter of the price and had already been adapted to fit an R56 so could bolt them straight in (needed the pretensioner & bolt from the R53 seats. Granted the bolsters aren't as aggressive but still a huge improvement over standard particularly when going around corners.

There is forward/back adjustment, limited slightly with regards to how far back you can go as it get's a little tight, if over 6 ft it may be an issue but i'm 5'10/5'11 and can find a good position.

If anyone needs any bits from the standard seats let me know, as once I've stripped out the heated seat loom i'll be scrapping them.

.....oh and I bloody love R112's.....bloody difficult to find used (I've had a look!).

TBH another (cheaper) approach might be to get the crown's painted black/dark anthracite or similar and just go with R56 S brakes with a decent disc/pad combo. Night and day over the stock brakes by all account. I'm doing this once my front discs and pads are shot (y)

Mod A Mini sell new TRW calipers, carriers and HEL lines as a package for just over 200 quid, can have them painted too if you like. Just discs and pads to get then.

I'd like some budwegs as well but I personally couldn't bring myself to change out the wheels just to have them over the R56 option...but entirely a personal thing bud
Been throwing offers around on single wheels on ebay that are without tyres and need a refurb, got 3 on the way just need to find one more that doesn't have a tyre and is around what I want to pay. And then make a final decision on what colour to go, found pics of a BRG with aero kit and black R112's which looks amazing and I think has swayed me

There are a couple of full sets on ebay but are going for more than is looking like i'll make a set for and again there would be marks etc anyway.

Will sell my s spokes pretty cheap to recoup some change. Found out they are supposedly the heaviest 17" wheel at 11.4kg each, R112's are around a kg less, and your bullets are 9.4kg.

It's mod a mini where I saw the Budwegs initially. Once brakes and suspension are sorted plans are to go for some decent power along with some track fun in the future and have no plans to ever sell up so pretty set now on going 4pot in the first instance.

Will get all of the hard brake lines replaced at the same time due to age. Am I best going for standard lines or are there better alternatives that aren't full on race car spec?

Nice to see these seats in place. Lovely looking interior.

Thanks Vaios, and thanks again for coming back on my heated seat query.

·
Registered
2007 Mini Cooper S R56
623 Posts
Oh and some extra info for the wiring. On my r56 they were a direct connection, no need for ncs tweeking or resistors. So if the Jcw fit without resistors then you are good to go on your r53.

·
Registered
2007 Mini Cooper S R56
623 Posts
FYI, I sold my recaro CS seats to a friend for his mini and he had a terrible accident. I verify 100% that the airbags went off and to my relief my friend was saved. So they are tested and working as they should if connected properly.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I might be swayed by some Corsa VXR seats at some point, they do look great and particularly if the airbags can be retained b very cool indeed.

I need to have a look at INPA and NCS Expert at some point (y) (y)

Fair shout on the brakes if doing track work I guess the 4 pots make more sense....expect the R56S brakes would more than put up with the punishment with choice pads, discs and fluid but budwegs will no doubt be better still.

I don't think I'll ever do anything wheel wise but if I did I think I could seriously be swayed by 16" R90's.....my understanding is that most half sensible brake options fit underneath despite the relative lack of inches...and could probably run a decent size non RFT tyre on it still (215 50, maybe 45 section)...thinking still grippy, but the slight increase in side wall might help the ride...expect a 45 will look a bit underwheeled.....also the R90 design is lovely and no worries about the titanium bolts as it doesn't have them. I was surprised as these wheels only run just over 100 quid a wheel new so probably for 7/800 quid would see you in new wheels and tyres.....part of me wonders whether I might have been better off putting the money spent on my Bullet face refurbs into that instead but oh well
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
514 Posts
....and there's me saying I've spent enough on it of late....
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Damn, I am totally jealous of those seats... I may have to try to find a pair. Looking amazing so far, will be following this one!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
FYI, I sold my recaro CS seats to a friend for his mini and he had a terrible accident. I verify 100% that the airbags went off and to my relief my friend was saved. So they are tested and working as they should if connected properly.

Great to hear, I'll do some more digging and if all looks well, i'll wire them up at the same time I do the heated seat elements, thanks!

....and there's me saying I've spent enough on it of late....
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Haha they always find a way back into your heart! R90's are very nice wheels indeed, would be an excellent choice if you do end up changing.

Damn, I am totally jealous of those seats... I may have to try to find a pair. Looking amazing so far, will be following this one!
I have a fantastic deal for you, seats for the challenger, has to be a no brainer...?

Small Update:

3 of the wheels have arrived today still on the hunt for a 4th, there are some single ones about but not what i want to pay.
Just so happened that a used Budweg kit came up on the bay yesterday that looked in great condition so have taken a punt and made a big saving on buying new so that's nailed on the brake route I am taking.
Downside is that there is no longer a wheel refurb budget so they may need to wait a month or so, but that gives me extra time to find one more wheel for what I am willing to pay.

·
Premium Member
4,867 Posts
are all the rims OEM? Rep's exist for R112's I know, just a thought. BMW part numbers on the originals for silver or black, and other numbers for whatever ;O)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
That is a good shout.

I have a feeling that two of them could be given the price I got them for, and I noticed in the pics they don’t have the small number near one of the bolt holes which looks to be the sign of a genuine one. Providing the quality is good and they aren’t stupidly heavy then it doesn’t bother me too much. I’ve run replica wheels in the past and haven’t had issues. I’ll just make sure they are on the same axle.

Havenhad the chance to open them yet, hopefully get them into the garage later and have a quick look.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts