MiniTorque.com banner
361 - 380 of 396 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #361 ·
Few bits done today, the car was trolling me though so didn’t get as far as I could have.

Got the slave back into its bracket and checked the pedal, feels good, lighter than before but not overly so.

Gear stick goes into all gears nicely.

All wiring has been rerouted to the correct locations and most of it plugged back in except ECU.
Noticed some sheath damage to injector 4’s wiring so need to fix that.

Oil cooler, thermostatand the two hoses near the thermostat are reconnected.

Driveshafts are back in. (Trolling number 1 - Intermediate bearing bracket top bolt was a PITA)

Ball joints and track rod ends are back in the hub.
EVAP, Fuel line and brake booster reconnected.

Made a start on the manifold bolts (Trolling number 2) but it’s not lining up perfectly for some reason spent a lot of time here trying to get them all to play ball but I may need to release the centre plate under the car to give me some movement.

So it’s getting there. whilst the wheels are off I’ll change the front brakes back to road pads and discs. Will also drop the struts slightly to adjust the camber plates to give a bit more negative up front. Think it’s about -1.5 atm so will have a stab at getting it around -2.

Hoping to finish for Sunday so I can take it for a spin but time will be limited over the next few days so we’ll see.

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,451 Posts
looks like you'll be done imminently, good effort and it'll feel great with an ATB, probably better knowing you did it yourself,

weather was good yesterday so decided to do similar to mine, fitted one of the boxes with just a final drive conversion and Quaife that's for sale anyway yet I want to be able to demo it in something, so made a late call,

started just after 11 and tools cleaned and away by 20:15, slowed a bit by parts deliveries coming and having to dig out and clean up a different flywheel, and alternator/s etc, fortunately only rained in last 15 mins or so.

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle registration plate
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Mode of transport
Car Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive lighting
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Reactions: Fro-dizzle

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,451 Posts
best to disconnect the mani from below and prioritise the joint to the head always imo.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #364 ·
That’s good going especially if being disturbed.

bet you also did it blindfolded and one hand behind your back 😂

Think I’ll probably finish around 13/14 hours.

Would have loved to spend more time with it out and give things a proper clean up but can’t have it off the road too long at the mo.

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
935 Posts
You legend Gev! Look forward to seeing it all back together and more importantly how it is all quaiffed up! All the best matey!

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #366 · (Edited)
Was quite a busy weekend along with our eldest not napping properly so only managed to get manifold lined up.

I slackened off the bolts off to the cat back to enable me to get all the head bolts in nice and easily.

Then today over lunch I got the rest of the engine bay bits back in and connected as well as repairing the sheathing on the wiring for injector 4.

Rain has stopped play though so have the following left to do:

Swap discs and pads to my road set.
Check torque for ball joints, track rod ends & lower engine mount.
Drop the struts slightly to add more negative camber.
Slide clips back onto oil cooler pipes
Wheels on and drop it
Rad pack/front panel
Intercooler
Gearbox oil
Engine oil
Coolant and bleeding
Run it up and make sure all good
Crash tubes & Bar
Front bumper
Test drive!

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #367 ·
Had a productive lunch break:

Discs and pads swapped
Front camber maxed out (think this will be around -2)
Oil cooler pipe clips
Ball joints and track rod ends torqued
Gearbox oil
Engine oil
Rad pack/front panel

The end is nigh with just the following to do:

Intercooler
Coolant
Run it up and make sure all good
Crash tubes and bar
Front bumper
drive drive drive!

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #368 ·
Igor, it’s alive!

Added some coolant and the intercooler after work yesterday and fired her up, started first time which was a huge relief.

Idled nicely and no funny noises so got the wheels, crash bars & panel back on.

Will get the coolant bled today and also the front bumper on.

Only error I’ve noticed is I’ve mixed one of the thermostat housing 10mm’s up with another bolt. So will swap that over today too.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #370 ·
All done and ready for a test drive

Have driven it forward and back just to check clutch etc. all feels good.

Clutch is nice and light, seems to bite better which could be due to rear main leaking before but may be because it’s slightly lower and not as heavy.

No chatter from the bearing either which is good.

Itching to test drive it now but might have to be tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Thankfully not!

Majority I put back where they go after removing the parts they were holding. Anything I couldn't do that with I made the most of the yoghurt pots I have accumulated and had a different pot for each area to keep things together.
Nice one.

You certainly do need to keep parts you've removed in groups together. It's harder to remember where things came from than you think. Some of those fixings are very similar, but not the same.

I have a large tray with compartments that i use, plus strategic laying out of parts on the garage floor.

Organisation is key.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
Due to a drunk driver smashing into the family wagon whilst it was parked outside in the early hours of the morning on Thursday and having to sort that out. I have only just had the chance to take the mini for a spin today.

Touch and go as to whether it’s fixable as it’s pushed through to the inside so much that the bonnet release handle has no movement in it and is wedged against the door card. Only had it 3 months.

But on to the mini…took it out to get some fuel and have a quick drive to make sure everything was as expected.

Drives really nice now with the lighter pedal, bite seems to be in a good place too so don’t think I need to bleed the slave which is good!

Will take some getting used to as it was very heavy before.

Camber has definitely made a difference to the handling and even though I haven’t managed to push it too much yet but the quaife is flipping insane! Has made it feel a lot more point and shoot, looking forward to getting it back on track and pushing it properly.

Needs tracking doing next as the camber change and disturbing the rod ends has put it out quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
6,451 Posts
it'll be toeing in more now

you'll find yourself exploring just how early you can get your foot back in during turns ;O)

if that 'a' pillar has gone it'll need a pull, these days I'd be surprised if they choose to do it? Especially with suspension damage likely, fortunate that you guys weren't in it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Due to a drunk driver smashing into the family wagon whilst it was parked outside in the early hours of the morning on Thursday and having to sort that out. I have only just had the chance to take the mini for a spin today.

Touch and go as to whether it’s fixable as it’s pushed through to the inside so much that the bonnet release handle has no movement in it and is wedged against the door card. Only had it 3 months.
Glad none of you were injured that’s the main thing
Unfortunately with how insurers work, it could well be written off, dependence on age, mileage etc
I’d estimate £5k there without seeing the amount of internal damage to the A post, suspension and inner wing

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #377 ·
it'll be toeing in more now

you'll find yourself exploring just how early you can get your foot back in during turns ;O)

if that 'a' pillar has gone it'll need a pull, these days I'd be surprised if they choose to do it? Especially with suspension damage likely, fortunate that you guys weren't in it.
I’ve somehow managed to get both sides toeing out haha probably how I’ve put the ends back in to the carrier. Worth taking them out to try and get them straighter?

definitely looking forward to that, will try and get back on track in July.

A Pillar definitely gone as door is kinked upand slightly out where it meets the rear door and the roof.

I’d be surprised if they fix it also, expecting it to be a write off.

Glad none of you were injured that’s the main thing
Unfortunately with how insurers work, it could well be written off, dependence on age, mileage etc
I’d estimate £5k there without seeing the amount of internal damage to the A post, suspension and inner wing
Add two Passenger side wheels and potential suspension issues that side too as the impact pushed it up onto the kerb.

Im thinking well in excess of £10k so expecting to not see it again tbh.

Have shortlisted a couple of replacements unlikely to be another Tiguan as I can’t find the same spec and it would bug me to have to have the same car but lower spec.

As you both say main thing is we’re all ok, cars can be replaced at the end of the day 👍🏽

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
935 Posts
(y)

But on to the mini…took it out to get some fuel and have a quick drive to make sure everything was as expected.

Drives really nice now with the lighter pedal, bite seems to be in a good place too so don’t think I need to bleed the slave which is good!

Will take some getting used to as it was very heavy before.

Camber has definitely made a difference to the handling and even though I haven’t managed to push it too much yet but the quaife is flipping insane! Has made it feel a lot more point and shoot, looking forward to getting it back on track and pushing it properly.

Needs tracking doing next as the camber change and disturbing the rod ends has put it out quite a bit.
Ah jesus man, glad no one was hurt....interested to see what will replace it(y)

·
Registered
2005 R53
272 Posts
Damn hope it gets sorted in an 'acceptable' way - not a nice experience I'm sure :oops:

Really glad the R53 is up and running and the diff has a noticeable effect! I'm only on the factory one and I think the Quaife is a long way of an improvement on that from what I've read.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #380 ·
£16k estimate and 4 full pages of works/new parts. Claims handler reckons it will be fixed but I think he’s being daft 😂

Had to leave alignment place yesterday, despite booking the car wasn’t anywhere near to going on the ramp after waiting 30 mins.

Will try again somewhere else tomorrow then hopefully get in a good drive.

361 - 380 of 396 Posts