MiniTorque.com banner
341 - 360 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
2005 R53
247 Posts
Good progress!! Do take a lot of care over the slave cylinder bolt - the casting isn't that strong and I broke the lug off mine trying to drill out a sheared bolt. Hopefully it comes out ok. You can get a bracket if it does break but it's 60-70 quid you probably don't want to add to the pile!

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #342 ·
Was scared of snap it when trying to loosen the bolt. Will go mega easy on it and hope for the best. Would rather the money go towards a track day haha

Slave bolts were £15 for the pair, mental!

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #344 ·
Bit more progress today, oil cooler and oil filter housing gaskets changed and a quick clean.

Will do a better clean of the engine and box when it’s out of the garage just before it goes back in.

Then started working on getting the box off. One of the selector bracket bolts chewed but not enough to stop it coming out. Doubt it will torque back up though and it’s a 10 day wait from BM as needs to come from Germany.

Will use the old slave bolt for now and put it in the most accessible place until I can replace it.

Then it was just the bell housing bolts. Most were fine but a couple were stupidly tight!

I also forgot to remove the lower one whilst it was in the car so had to lift the engine back up to get it out.

Box off and definitely signs of rear main leak. But that’s it for today, will look at clutch and flywheel removal then rear main change and new clutch tomorrow.

Still on the standard one it seems, wonder how much material is left.

Need to work out how I’m going to remove the ring gear from the standard diff as I don’t have a vice.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #345 ·
Didn’t spend too much time on it today as got carried away with the decent weather.

Clutch (110k miles and 6 track days) and flywheel are off . Clutch had no signs of slipping or anything so was still going strong.

Gearbox housing bolts have been freed and buzzed out with my electric socket.

Definitely wouldn’t tackle this job again without an impact driver though, would have made the flywheel bolts far easier and probably make light work of the ring gear.

Depending how much time I get tomorrow I want to change the rear main seal, get clutch and flywheel back on and hopefully loosen the ring gear bolts.

May start on the ring gear first as that’s the last thing that could trip me up and delay things now.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #346 ·
Bit more done today, rear main seal, cleaned flywheel and refitted. New clutch fitted.

Have also managed to split the gearbox housing, so just the ring gear to try and sort.

Think the vice I have is too small and no impact tools so a bit stumped how I’ll get it off at the mo, may need to run it to a garage or engineering place or try to hire an impact gun.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #349 ·
Really good progress! Hopefully the ring gear will just fall off by itself - I know in the mod mini video it does but not sure how common that is.
will be going in the oven if not 😂

The place I have hired the crane form has an impact wrench which should be up to the job of getting the bolts out so will give them a call in the morning. 🤞🏽

Good work but it’s hard going ! I need to update my thread soon as I’ve finished the engine refresh and putting it back in at weekend.
Nice one, look forward to seeing the update!

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #352 ·
Thanks Keith, plan to get one in the future, after this job there won't be anything big to do for a while. Will buy one when I fit the R56 arms and JCW rear brakes which wil likely be end of this year or start of next.

Got a Hilti one here from the hire company, just waiting for the 15mm impact socket to arrive and we'll see what it's got!

Can clean the bay or the bellhousing in the mean time.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #353 ·
Hallelujah! Managed to get the ring gear off and onto the quaife with permanent thread lock.

Amazon delivery was later than usual today so the socket didn’t arrive until we’ll into the afternoon.

Cleaned up the bell housing, could have done a bit more but started running out of brake cleaner!

The diff ready to meet it’s maker!

Ring gear off, impact wrench made light work of it. Few taps of the hammer with some wood and off it came.

Ring gear on and sealant ready for the case to go back together.

New release bearing, old one was all over the shop.

Gearbox back together!

Ran out of time to get the box back on the engine so that’s tomorrows job as well as hopefully getting it hung so the crane can go back.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #354 ·
Box and engine back together, used the engine crane to take the weight of the box to make it easier to guide on.

Engine hanging back in the bay haven’t been able to clean as much as I wanted. Waiting on some more brake cleaner and will do a bit more.

Will start reconnecting everything starting from the rear.

·
Registered
2005 R53
247 Posts
Great progress! At this stage I had to take the engine back out about 3 times, the final time because I'd got the coolant pipes to the oil cooler in such a place that they'd never go back where they were meant to go! I can't remember why the others, I think one was for the gear linkage cables.

I bet you can't wait to get out and drive it!

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #357 ·
Great progress! At this stage I had to take the engine back out about 3 times, the final time because I'd got the coolant pipes to the oil cooler in such a place that they'd never go back where they were meant to go! I can't remember why the others, I think one was for the gear linkage cables.

I bet you can't wait to get out and drive it!
Will check those shortly! Oil cooler pipes should be fine, will be sure the check the linkage cables.

I was out when they came to collect the crane so I have it until tomorrow.

Can't wait to hear it run again, nervous is an understatement 😂

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,316 Posts
6 reverse gears and one forward kind of nervous? 😂 :unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #359 ·
Weather is slowing me down at the moment, managed to get the shift cables on the other day and oil cooler pipes look to be in good shape.

Will attach the slave back to it's bracket and see how it feels.

Then need to get the wiring routed for the starter, PAS pump and fan. Then can can crack on putting things back together from back to front.

Hoping rain will ease up so I can make some progress over lunch.

341 - 360 of 365 Posts