MiniTorque.com banner
301 - 320 of 396 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
Yes. Can't get any reader to read the k-bus. Other modules can be read using a BMW reader.

I've yet to find out where the break is. I expect it is under the bonnet. I will have some time over the holidays, weather permitting.
Good luck, hopefully it won't be too onerous!

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 · (Edited)
Fitted the new armrest lid a while back, much more padded, it closes and is no longer shiny.

Will respray the silver to black once the weather warms up.

Will also do indicator stalks now RKDE has fashioned some transfers for the symbols which are a decent size, so have a set of those in order.

Was weighing up a quaife LSD that’s already in a box from a car that is being broken but have talked myself out of it as for the price I could get a new Mfactory with warranty, along with not having to try and shift a undesirable gearbox (as most upgrade to the BKL and the 6 speeds generally don’t have issues). Plus the box has an extra 15k on it.

So pretty settled on Mfactory (just waiting to see if any come up when there are ebay discount codes or sales), and will go standard LUK clutch along with:

Rear main seal
Oil cooler removal and new seals (replace cooler if required)
Slave cylinder?

Next decision will be engine out or drop subframe, would mean needing to buy a hoist as don’t think dad has one anymore so adds to the cost.

Track day wise I have the following booked for 2022:

Saturday 11th June - Bedford Autodrome
Thursday 22nd September - Snetterton 300

Will like do another one or two, but not many dates we’re available that far ahead so will keep an eye out.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Fitted the new armrest lid a while back, much more padded, it closes and is no longer shiny.

Will also do indicator stalks now RKDE has fashioned some transfers for the symbols which are a decent size, so have a set of those in order.

Was weighing up a quaife LSD that’s already in a box from a car that is being broken but have talked myself out of it as for the price I could get a new Mfactory with warranty, along with not having to try and shift a undesirable gearbox (as most upgrade to the BKL and the 6 speeds generally don’t have issues). Plus the box has an extra 15k on it.

So pretty settled on Mfactory (just waiting to see if any come up when there are ebay discount codes or sales), and will go standard LUK clutch along with:

Rear main seal
Oil cooler removal and new seals (replace cooler if required)
Slave cylinder?

Next decision will be engine out or drop subframe, would mean needing to buy a hoist as don’t think dad has one anymore so adds to the cost.

Track day wise I have the following booked for 2022:

Saturday 11th June - Bedford Autodrome
Thursday 22nd September - Snetterton 300

Will like do another one or two, but not many dates we’re available that far ahead so will keep an eye out.
I sold my old BKD gearbox for £100 after I upgraded to a BKL.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
I sold my old BKD gearbox for £100 after I upgraded to a BKL.
Thanks Nigel, pretty handy to know and confirms it's not really worth it for me given the price of the box with the diff and having to collect it etc. then having to list the old box and the fun that can involve!

Will be easier and more cost effective to buy a new diff and fit to my existing box.

·
Registered
98 Posts

The armrest lid looks good. Does it stay closed when using it?

Also, do you have a link for it and the transfers from RKDE?

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
The armrest lid looks good. Does it stay closed when using it?

Also, do you have a link for it and the transfers from RKDE?
Yes, it stays closed now!

There are quite a few out there but this was the one I ordered:

HouYeen Centre Box Console Armrest Cover Lid for B-MW M-ini R52 Convertible Cooper S One 2002-2008 51166954297 HouYeen Centre Box Console Armrest Cover Lid for B-MW M-ini R52 Convertible Cooper S One 2002-2008 51166954297 : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

Will dm you for the paint transfers as there are a few options and some info about them

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #308 ·
Nothing to report really, the car has taken a back seat the last few months whilst we awaited our new arrival, another girl so I'm out numbered 3:1 😂

Hoping to get a track day booked for April as one I had booked for June was cancelled.

Gave it a wash the other day but need some wheel cleaner as they have brake dust caked onto them from brands in December :cry:

Plans for immediate future:

Replace front discs for Brembo HC
Drop the front shocks and add some negative camber
Give it a good check over and blast off the cobwebs as it's only done a few short journeys recently

Then it's a case of saving for clutch/LSD, which may be an over the summer job to make most of the lighter evenings and the kids being asleep!

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
Pulled the trigger on a Quaife and LUK kit today due to a 10% voucher offer on eBay.

Quaife - £588.10 - JJC Race & Rally (basically Demon Tweeks)
LUK 3 Piece Clutch - £79.19 - titan Racing Parts

Have also booked onto Snetterton with @Mysticarl for 14th April.

Not going to attempt to get the diff and the clutch in before then, too tight for time and would make sense to do a few other bits whilst engine and box are out so parts will be going on the shelf until I've sourced everything else.

Also hoping for a dry day so I can push the car in it's current form and get a better comparison to once the diff goes in. Brands in December was far too slippery so I'm yet to be able to fully utilise the additional power.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·

Diff and clutch kit now on the shelf. Rear main and bearings still to get.

Then it’s a case of deciding how far I go with replacing things whilst the engine out. Will def check oil cooler to see if it’s blocked and for any leaks. Likewise with oil filter housing.

And give everything a clean down, any recommendations on products for cleaning the engine / bay?

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
Had the wheels off to give brakes, suspension and tyres a check before Snetterton on Thursday. Changed the front discs too, as last couple of track days I’ve had some vibration under heavy braking when hot. Old ones weren’t lipped but I could feel ridges in the swept area, will keep them to run with my road pads.

Went for Brembo HC ones, unsure what the previous brand was but these are highly rated amongst those that use them and a decent priced too.

Also took the chance to give the wheels a good clean as they have been caked in brake dust since December, the rears were fine but the fronts still have deposits from the PBS pads. Will have another go at them some day.

My Dad should be coming along too which will be the first track day he has been on so whipped out the rear seats as a quick win on shedding some weight. I really noticed the difference last time my friend came so for the sake of 5 mins though I may as well!

All fluids checked, just need to give it a good blast tomorrow to make sure all is good and fill up with fuel then should be all set.

Looking forward to getting back on track and having a play With @Mysticarl

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
Petrol is ok here, particularly vpower given how pricey it is.
Diesel is getting scarce though!

Car is all good tracked down an occasional knock which turned out to be one of the exhaust hangers hitting the body hanger so repositioned the rubber and it’s all good.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
Aside from only being able to get two decent length sessions in during the morning due to red flags (one of which was a Ferrari 488 crashing in front of me I had a great day at Snet.

No issues with the car and it was great to be able to push it properly for the first time since improving its power output.

Was a 20 degree day with not too much breeze and intake temps peaked at 60 a couple of times. Will see how it gets on over the next couple of track days and see if I need to remedy anything. Car pulled hard all day and didn’t seem down on power at any point.

Plans are to get the last few bits I need to do the clutch and diff (mainly rear main and release bearing then any adhoc tools) and do it during May.

Then I need to play with alignment, I want to add more front camber and less rear as it felt a little light/skittish at the rear under heavy braking a couple of times.

Really like Snet as a track particularly the chicanes. I’m there again later in the year which will be a great comparison for the changes I want to make but hoping to get at least one more day in either there or elsewhere between now and then.

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
935 Posts
Aside from only being able to get two decent length sessions in during the morning due to red flags (one of which was a Ferrari 488 crashing in front of me I had a great day at Snet.

No issues with the car and it was great to be able to push it properly for the first time since improving its power output.

Was a 20 degree day with not too much breeze and intake temps peaked at 60 a couple of times. Will see how it gets on over the next couple of track days and see if I need to remedy anything. Car pulled hard all day and didn’t seem down on power at any point.

Plans are to get the last few bits I need to do the clutch and diff (mainly rear main and release bearing then any adhoc tools) and do it during May.

Then I need to play with alignment, I want to add more front camber and less rear as it felt a little light/skittish at the rear under heavy braking a couple of times.

Really like Snet as a track particularly the chicanes. I’m there again later in the year which will be a great comparison for the changes I want to make but hoping to get at least one more day in either there or elsewhere between now and then.
Glad you're getting out and having some fun Gev mate, also glad you didnt pile into that Ferrari 👍😉

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
sounds like someone’s car outweighed their talent 😬
Not at all unusual!

A few years ago at Cadwell, fully race prepped brand new MANY £0000 GTR complete with pit crew. All were warned about the "mountain entry" as it was a cool morning. Didn't actually complete a lap, stuffed it into the pit entry Armco on the first time round 50m short of a full lap.

·
Registered
511 Posts

Silly question, but was there fuel on site or at the near by petrol station in the A11? I’m there doing a track day in a couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
Silly question, but was there fuel on site or at the near by petrol station in the A11? I’m there doing a track day in a couple of weeks.
They had fuel on-site but email rationed this to 20l per signed on cars only. Not sure if they stuck to it.
Except for diesel, fuel at the esso just outside was expensive but available 👍🏽

Also forgot to mention but it’s agood job the last session I did was red flagged as realised when I got back to the bits my needle was at the bottom of the red 😂 made it to the esso on the way home though.

Definitely a lot thirstier than it used to be!

301 - 320 of 396 Posts