MiniTorque.com banner
281 - 295 of 295 Posts

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
Got the pulley off nice and easy this morning, and then have been putting it back together in between work duties.

All seems to be running nicely which is good but haven’t taking it for a proper run yet, just down the road and back.

Definitely wouldn’t buy an airtec brand new given the amount of faffing involved to fit one haha

New intake pipe also fitted, much stiffer than the silicone ones and I actually think they look better too.

Ready for 1320 on the 22nd to get the other bits fitted and mapped.

Will give the bay a good clean once it’s back as it’s filthy.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I took my time fitting my Airtec. Like you say, you need to be precise as it fills up most of the space available. I found it tricky to get the diverter from underneath the bonnet as one screw turned with the nut.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
Thankfully I already had that issue when I swapped the scoop for the Leap one.

Everything came off ok it was just adjusting the manifold webbing etc to get it seated nicely which was time consuming.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
Driven it a couple of times now, definitely has a bit more punch which is nice, haven’t pushed it hard though due to not knowing what the AFRs are doing.

Looking forward to getting it all tied together now and putting it through its paces.

Did another oil change today given I’ve done another couple of track days plus winter on the horizon.

Was dark but viscosity still seemed good so can perhaps space these out a bit in the future.

Filter didn’t look too bad either and most importantly no glitter!

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Booked onto another trackday with a few other owners, Brands Hatch on 17th December, expecting it to be chilly/slippery but will hopefully be able to get a feel for the extra power it will have. Hoping for some freak balmy weather though.

Due to baby number two arriving in March next year I'm not sure if I'll get a track day in before May so thought why not.

Also bought a fire extinguisher from the aisle of doom in Aldi, will order a puretrack mount when back from holiday.

Aside from that 11 more days until cam, injectors & map :love:

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
Had the 469 cam and injectors fitted at 1320 today top guys!

Base run was 183whp/213 bhp with following spec:
13% Pulley
Airtec Intercooler
Scorpion Manifold & Sports Cat
Orranje Stealth

Then final run was 202whp/232bhp with the cam and injectors.

Fitting the pulley obviously gave a power improvement but it didn’t feel progressive through the range and felt a bit hesitant in places.

Now it’s mapped it feels smooth and progressive throughout the range which is a testament to the map and feels so nice to drive.
Nice kick from the cam at 4k too.

Looking forward to Brands next month to give it a run out!

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Was expecting 220-230 so happy with the result, but it's how well it drives that I'm more happy about.

Only just been catching up on posts, does seem close to Alan's but as Sean has mentioned might just need a different cam to bring the best out of it.

Would be interesting to compare the graphs.

·
Registered
2005 R53
168 Posts
I think you're 3-4 up on me, main differences being I'm running a 15% pulley but a stock intercooler and manifold/cat. Curve looks very similar!

In my mind there's a gain to have from bigger exhaust valves. Not sure if a fully ported head is necessary but just more exhaust flow should get some gains?

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Think the cooler will help you with regards to more boost, plus with the weather as it is now you should be fine for IAT's.

The manifold was the first engine mod I did (aside from air box) and definitely noticed the car feel more eager!

I do want to go down the head route at some point, to what extent though I'm still undecided, likely to be a 2023 thing haha

Next for me will be Clutch and LSD so some saving to do!

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
Mine seems ok at the moment just the usual heavy feel you get with any old clutch.

Mod wise LSD seems the next logical step and given I'm unlikely to get any track days in for the first 6 months next year due to the expected arrival of baby number 2 in March so could be a good time to do it myself and take my time which having never done a clutch before I'm sure will take me a while!

281 - 295 of 295 Posts