MiniTorque.com banner
241 - 260 of 295 Posts

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 · (Edited)
Picked up a Leap Omicron 1 scoop at the weekend, prefer this one as it’s more subtle than the others. Waiting on some quotes to spray that and the aero spoiler.

They also had an airbox that was already modified but needs tidying a bit so got that for a good price too.

Also have R56 calipers, have ordered carriers to allow the 280mm discs to fit on the rear.

Still need a couple more bits for the rear end change (hand brake cables, rear R56 bearings, spare subframe and trailing arm brackets to get painted) but getting there.

Also have Mini spotlight covers on the way, as well as timing chain tensioner, belt tensioner and idler pulley. Rain is looking pants for a while though!

Exhaust is a tad too loud for me which is a shame as the note/tone is good. So looking for a JCW system to replace it with.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Managed to find a JCW exhaust for decent money in Rugby and Dad happened to be dropping an ambulance off in Birmingham so kindly picked it up for me on his way home.

All fitted and sounds much quieter which is what I was hoping for. 4th exhaust on the car in two years

Very happy with this one though and as you would expect the fit is absolutely spot on, nice working with something that was designed properly for the car.

Spot light covers also arrived, cheapest is direct from mini @ £15 each. Some sellers want upwards of £45.

The rear TRW BDA949/JCW caliper carriers also arrived, took advantage of a seller that was included in the eBay discount scheme.

They come already painted.

They’ll be going on the parts shelf for now, will need to paint the calipers at some point.

Haven’t done the belt tensioner and idler as yet as my crank damper looks in the early stages of separating so will do that all at the same time once ordered from Mini.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Got a few bits done over the last week, crank pulley job ended up being dragged out as one of the small pulley puller bolts sheared off in the crank pulley.

Managed to get it drilled out no bother whilst retaining the thread but had to wait for some replacement bolts to come of which I went for 8.8 rating to prevent shearing.
Came off nice and easy when they arrived.

Once cleaned up the crankshaft oil seal was dry as a bone so I haven’t changed it yet although I do have a replacement. Will change it when I do the timing chain which I couldn’t squeeze in at this stage, don’t have any noises or symptoms so should be fine for now.

The oil has come from when the rocker cover gasket was leaking when I first got it as it’s all down the side from the top.

Have cleaned around the lip of the sump to keep an eye on that too, but again I’ll be dropping it to do the shells at some point over the winter.

I changed the belt tensioner whilst I was there as the pulley would spin quite freely when rotated by hand and could hear it catching slightly.

I wasn’t going to change the idler pulley as seem in good nick when rotating but I’m glad I did as when I took it off you could move the centre around so was plenty of play.

Got it all back on, the crank damper no longer has any play in it by hand. And idle seems a bit more stable than it was. Can feel the weight difference between the pre and post crank pulleys, but haven’t driven it yet to see if anything noticeable when driving.

Also did an oil and filter change as has been on two track days since I last did it. Definitely need as was pretty dark!

Also changed the carbon effect door mirror covers as the sun has bleached them plus they don’t sit flush and it bugged me.

Think the black matches the black spots, but may colour code them when I get the scoop and aero spoiler painted.

Have booked Bedford for 17th August so will be doing a brake fluid change over the next week or so too.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Swapped exhaust manifold gasket over lunch, such a fiddly job. Was hoping it would cure the slight blow/ticking on load but as feared it’s the flexi that has failed from prior to me replacing the mounts.

Will keep an eye out for aftermarket mani with cat to replace it with.

I have a standard manifold that I was saving to Tomcat but not worth putting it on in the meantime as only want to change it once!

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
those perforated gaskets either here or further down are shite imo

a flexi free manifold that will enhance power is the R Longman Racing/Maniflow option (there are two). Not cheap but very good.
Agreed, had a perforated one lower down too but I replaced with a genuine Mini one.

Those Maniflow manifolds do look good, but pricey as you say! Next to 0 chance of them coming up 2nd hand either haha

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 · (Edited)
Managed to get a scorpion manifold (Thanks Niall and also 1320 for agreeing to post it out) which was my preference over the janspeed when reading up on 4-1 and 4-2-1 manifolds. Although likelihood is I probably wouldn’t notice the difference between the two haha

Also comes with a sports cat which have been known to be better than Miltek etc so should last. And don’t have a stipulation that you can’t run higher than stock power haha

Can’t be forking out for an AFR gauge at the moment so will either move the blanking plug to the 2nd precat hole or put the post cat in there but leave unplugged as have read the EML could be triggered due to the sports cat, but if not plugged in it will just show lambda fault but no EML.

Question now is do I go at getting the old one out from the top or the bottom as I’m limited how high I can get the car. Thankfully the one on currently is an aftermarket type so no pre cat and cat is much smaller so might go easily out the top.

Once done I’ll sell the old one as needing a new flexi and my genuine mini one that I was keeping as a spare/to tomcat (assuming I’m happy with the sound with the sports cat)

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
Got the manifold fitted on and off over a couple of days due to weather, probably 2 hours in total.

Getting the manifolds in and out were quite easy, the hardest part for me was disconnecting the 2nd lambda plug

Car drives really nice, feels to have a bit more grunt low down but overall drives really smooth but I think partially this is due to the new crank damper and aux belt parts as all were knackered.

Haven’t noticed a huge difference to noise driving normally, but definitely notice a bit more when pushing on but nothing crazy. National speed is still nice and quiet so all in is exactly how I wanted it.

Also there is finally no more ticking from a broken flexi which has been that way since I got it due to previous owner not renewing engine mounts when they were required.

Took a picture of the three manifolds I had for comparison purposes.

I never had the OEM one fitted got it as a spare to tomcat at some point but now no need for it.

The primaries are slightly thicker on the aftermarket OEM style manifold as are the ports and obviously no pre cat.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
It’s just the angle, can see from this one the scorpion wasn’t perfectly in line with the others.

Fitment was spot on, didn’t have any issues.

Worth noting it’s also the previous version of the scorpion, they have revised it recently and the pipe work where it meets the head is slightly bigger and the welds get in the way of the bolts.
So was specifically looking for this type to avoid that.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
Productive morning before work, brake fluid change ahead of Bedford on the 17th.

Was last done 2 Trackdays ago.

Leap scoop and Aero spoiler have been sent for painting.

Hoping the scoop comes back in time for Bedford, but I have left it a bit tight and would rather it’s painted properly.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
Unfortunately I didn’t make it to Bedford as Wife started running a very high temp over night so I had to stay and look after the little one.

Booked Brands for 16th Sept and then I already had Snetterton booked for 12th Oct.

Got my Leap scoop and Aero spoiler painted and fitted, externally I’m now done styling wise

Also big thanks to @Astroboy for my fresh number plates, fantastic quality and service

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
Picked up some engine bay bling courtesy of Nick (also bought my Coilovers from him), M7 strut brace which is the one I had my mind set on but don’t usually come up 2nd hand.

Also bought the Airtec he had for sale but unlikely to be fitted for a while until I decide on pulley (13/15) and get it fitted along with the cam & injectors I have already and then map which I’ll likely book in for around Dec/Jan.

Whenever the engine comes out for some work I’ll get the mounts, horns and inlet manifold powder coated black.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
Got an RPM air diverter for a bit more under bonnet aesthetics more than for the potential cooling benefits.

Have also decided to go for a 13.2% pulley as I’m not chasing numbers and would rather be able to use the power it has without having to run meth or run things to the point of clipping.

All booked in at 1320 on 22nd Nov to get Cam and injectors fitted and then a tune.

Will work on getting the airtec fitted over the coming months but keep running the standard one until it’s had it’s base run at 1320 then get them to put the Airtec on once the cam/injectors are done.

Will also fit the pulley myself but once I’ve done the two Trackdays I have booked.

16th Sep - Brands Hatch
12th Oct - Snetterton

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 · (Edited)
Brands went well, car was faultless again and lapped Ho the abuse. Need to work on trusting the car more though both braking and cornering it can do far better than I’m giving it credit for.

Noise test was interesting, guy asked if it was even running, 83.5 static @ 5.5k 😎

We’re quite a few race cars there so had to pull over quite a bit which meant I picked up a lot of crap over the course of the day which then made it even harder to try to push on due to the vibrations when on the straight and braking.

Plan is to push it more at Snetterton with the extra run off etc.

Still a very enjoyable day and weather was perfect.

Quite a few red flags but nothing major. Most tricky was coolant spilled most of the way round the track from the top of paddock hill all the way up to surtees.

And it’s currently having its MOT done as we speak, should have given myself more than two days after a track day mind

241 - 260 of 295 Posts