Was doing last minute checks today ahead of the maiden trip to Bedford tomorrow.
I’ve been breaking a cabrio recently which went off to be scrapped yesterday, as well as the aero bits that I’ve kept it came with some R90’s thought I’d try them on but definitely prefer my R112’s in silver!
Car is all set to leave tomorrow just need to round up my tools and try to get a decent sleep although little one may have something to say about that
Attended Bedford last week (22nd) with Opentrack and also meet a few people from R53OC was nice to be there with a good amount of R53's.
Had a great day there and it took me the first 2-3 sessions to get into the swing of things (missing the sighting laps didn't help!) and get my speed up, really is a forgiving circuit if you want to push, saw quite a few people go off in various places, but I managed to stick to the black stuff!
Overall the car performed well again but finished the day with some niggles. Engine absolutely faultless again and no oil consumed across two track days now so seems to be in good shape.
Suspension - huge improvement here running the MeisterRs/Rear ARB. Turn in has improved immensely, understeer has also been reduced and is feeling a lot more planted and stable in corners overall which is fantastic.
Niggles - Noticed a knocking from the rear just before the lunch break which I thought could be rear top mounts, although when i tested it around the car park it would only knock when turning and not over bumps. Turned out to be the exhaust and the centre hangars perishing, think only one had gone at this point, did a few more sessions in the afternoon and definitely drove home with the other one go as was knocking at the front too flexi was already on it's way out along with the centre section so safe to say both are knackered now!
Also due to standing by the side of the road for so long and the rear disc corroding it's worn through the pads that side down to the metal over the day. So will get those replaced, was hoping to do it later in the year for when I do the R56 JCW upgrade (along with control arms etc) but I don't have everything I need for that yet.
The PBS pads were fantastic, great when cold and ferocious when up to temp, dust wasn't too bad but definitely noticeable. Would be great to try some XP8's at some point to compare but was extremely happy with them.
I don't have anything booked at the mo but still have a credit with MSVT but need to fix the niggles first, so manifold (have a spare standard one but seems false economy doing that but even used janspeed with tomcat fetch good money), exhaust & rear brakes.
eBay had another 20% deal on the go so I ordered a new Gravity exhaust. Word has it they are exactly the same as the Direnza exhaust but without the branding. Which suits me as I really like the sound of the current set up which is by no means ASBO like.
Ordered last Thursday afternoon and it came Friday morning, fantastic service.
House DIY is still eating up my time so only got around to checking it over today. And from what I can see the word on the street is correct, it looks exactly like my Direnza.
Will use mine as a template for putting it together and hopefully I’ll be able to get it sitting as it does now as it’s bang in the centre.
Will then sell my Direnza which needs a new centre resonator or it removing entirely. I tried to get replacements but you can’t and I didn’t want to put a different resonator in there as I didn’t want to risk the sound being different. Removing the resonator entirely is also not an option as I don’t like loud exhausts and I don’t want to be near track limits.
New centre rubbers and genuine exhaust gasket have also arrived so I just need some time now.
Rear brakes also arrived, went with Eicher from CP4L, chose free delivery and they came the same day delivered by my local ECP will get them on when the car is up for the exhaust.
Another productive lunch, got the old exhaust off and the new one mocked up to ensure everything is there.
The gravity is extremely similar to the Direnza, key difference is slightly smaller backboxes and the cabrio section done slightly differently. Not sure what the Direnzas were like just before they stopped but I know my one is a couple of years old or so.
Centre resonator is definitely rattling and something is also rattling in one of the rear boxes, perhaps made it’s way there front the centre section.
Will get it listed for sale once new one is fitted.
Need a good section without rain though as plenty of showers at the minute.
The trim and buttons can be painted. Mask the black part of the button faces with small adhesive dots to keep the backlit icons. Just make sure the adhesive isn’t too aggressive or the icons might get damaged when removing.
Aero kit and spots are on, just need to wire the spots in.
I resprayed the textured sections and the grill parts in black texture paint which has really freshened them up, just need to get some green to do some stone chips on the kit and a small batch on the bonnet.
Bumper/bonnet need some adjustment to close the gap but the adjuster screws were solid so letting them soak a bit before trying again.
Also need the rear screws and holders for the undertray as they've pull out of the subframe.