MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back in a R53 Cooper S and loving it!

Hey!

I'm back in another R53 five years after selling my first. I've been through a few different cars since selling the MINI - a Scirocco, Porsche Cayman, S3, but I never really fell in love with them like I did my MINI. It's as good as I remember and I'm so happy I took the plunge and bought another! For those who maybe weren't around in 2012-2014, here is the progress thread of my last cooper S - I always tend to go down the OEM+ route with cars...

https://www.minitorque.com/forum/f273/uktoms-cooper-s-going-euroem-28297/index10.html

I was pretty picky with the base car I wanted. My criteria was that it had to be a facelift R53 (2004-2006 model), relatively low mileage (sub 80k) and full service history. It took a few weeks to find, but eventually I found this 55 plate red R53 on 76k:

It has full service history, never failed an MOT in its life (plus only had very minor advisories!) and mechanically seems absolutely spot on. I've already made a few changes - an aftermarket headunit with bluetooth functionality, fitted a microphone in the A pillar for handsfree, routed a iPhone charging cable behind the dash to keep things nice and tidy (it retracts away when not in use!) and fitted a rear wiper delete...

My plans for the car is to make it a fast road car setup. Anything to improve handling, probably some buckets, roll cage, maybe some performance mods (exhaust is a must) and a few cosmetic changes. First of all, new filters, fluids and an MOT to get it running sweet.

Very happy to be back in a fun car again... I love it!
Tom

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
Sounds nice, I'm a fan of the Chrono kit regardless of how they calculate information, the dash as a whole is much nicer than anything else and having the speed in front I prefer,

the exhaust won't net you much but everyone changes them in the end haha, I'm also a fan of an OEM looking car and did fit a JCW catback eventually but only after ~250hp, I put the money into a cam first which the engine liked a lot, then a manifold which does help ;O)

always good to see people coming back to these I think, the grass isn't greener on the other side at all haha

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
duplicate again!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! The car is great although the paintwork does need attention - there is lacquer peel in certain areas but nothing that can't be fixed - all will be resprayed in time.

Meanwhile, Lohen MINI helped me out with a few essentials to get the car running 100% and for peace of mind:

Over the next couple of days the car will be having:
- Oil change with fully synthetic 5W 30 Millers Oil
- Bosch Oil filter
- Bosch Cabin filter
- Bosch Air filter
- OEM fuel filter
- NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plugs
- FUCHS Pentosin CHF 11S Power Steering fluid
- Air con re-gas
- New MOT

Hopefully that should cover most of it. I am also tempted to get the supercharger serviced at some point for peace of mind... anyone have any experience with this? What sort of rough cost should I expect?

Thanks
Tom

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Thanks everyone! The car is great although the paintwork does need attention - there is lacquer peel in certain areas but nothing that can't be fixed - all will be resprayed in time.

Meanwhile, Lohen MINI helped me out with a few essentials to get the car running 100% and for peace of mind:

Over the next couple of days the car will be having:
- Oil change with fully synthetic 5W 30 Millers Oil
- Bosch Oil filter
- Bosch Cabin filter
- Bosch Air filter
- OEM fuel filter
- NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plugs
- FUCHS Pentosin CHF 11S Power Steering fluid
- Air con re-gas
- New MOT

Hopefully that should cover most of it. I am also tempted to get the supercharger serviced at some point for peace of mind... anyone have any experience with this? What sort of rough cost should I expect?

Thanks
Tom
If you have half a day and your good with the spanners, Do it yourself. It's easy peasy.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Such as drop the subframe too & give it a suspension refresh top to bottom.

Although I didn't know I was going to do that at the time & it took some re-jigging of axle stands/jacks to actually get it off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Id be tempted to look at the clutch at the same time tbh. I took whole front end of mine off to do the supercharger service, replaced radiator, coolant pipes, waterpump, header tank, did dave.f airbox mod, fitted 15% pulley, plugs belt, front crank sensor oil seal etc. etc. All the stuff it made sense to do at the same time... Also fitted new coil overs, adjustable top mounts, R56S brake upgrade with new calipers, discs & pads, brake fluid change etc.

Got it all back together only to have the clutch start slipping days later. Doh! So then had to strip most of that lot back off, drop the subframe, pull the gearbox to do the clutch. At least this meant whilst it was off I could replace the crank main seal, polly bushed the engine & gearbox mounts, fitted new front wishbones, polly bushed them, new inner & outer ball joints, new drive shaft rubber which was split etc. Reassembled it all and it seems ok now, but then its nearly a brand new car now so it should do. lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the comments! I am definitely going to get the supercharger serviced in the near future. Meanwhile, I discovered a power steering hose leak - there are three hoses it could've been (most expensive being £250+ just for the hose!). I was expecting the worst but luckily it wasn't the £250+ one - the one that needs doing is a little cheaper at £80. Waiting on that to arrive and I'll get to work replacing it.

Meanwhile a couple of small updates. I found a JCW carbon gear knob (always loved these!) and fitted:

...fitted some LED licence plate units and gave the car a good clean. I'm actually sponsored by Auto Finesse - if you haven't heard of them go check out their product range here: www.autofinesse.co.uk (shameless plug) :thumbup:

Tom

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A few little updates here! The car has been treated to some JCW aero grills, a OMP strut brace and a fire extinguisher (better safe than sorry, right?)...

Working on the MINI was all a little bit too much for Frank...

I am still loving the car, it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it! The strut brace hasn't been fitted yet - I am probably going to respray it either red or black.

Next up, I'm looking at getting the supercharger serviced just for peace of mind. Has anyone done theirs before? Was it worthwhile?

Thanks!
Tom

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Did mine a couple of years ago when I laid the car up for a year after buying to get lots done, in doing so I found mine was pretty much perfect, but peace of mind & all that.

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
always worth servicing the charger if for nothing other than just to check there is still oil in the PTO

1 - 20 of 37 Posts