MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still getting used to the quirks of these cars.

Over Christmas we started to get a squeal from something round the aux belt. On the ramp it was clearly coming from the AC pump. Friday I got a belt tensioner tool, AC pump (£20) and a new belt on order. Sunday the other half phones me up to say car is dead, battery light on, steam from bonnet and temp reading through the roof. Yes the belt shredded before I could get to it.

Got it on axel stands and the inner arch off. AC wheel is spinning fine. Idler pulley also fine without any play. Everything is moving except the crank pulley for obvious reasons and the tensioner pulley wheel.

Is it normal for the tensioner wheel to be stuck when the tensioner is fully extended? Is it possible to buy the tensioner wheel only or is it a full tensioner kit (11288620210)? I know when I get the tool I may find out more, but looking to get any parts to get the Mrs back on the road asap.

I have looked through other posts, but could not find one that referred to the tensioner pulley wheel.

AC never worked on the car since we had it. Considered AC delete, but a AC pump with damaged electrical connectors is otherwise fine and seemed the cheapest route.

· Registered
1,124 Posts
Tensioner pulley should rotate freely. Replace the whole thing.

Are you 100% sure it needs a new a/c compressor? Far more likely not to work due to lack of gas.

Battery light will be becuase the alternator isn't turning.

Be more worried that the car has been driven for any period without the belt as the water pump will not have been working. Very likely from your comments that the car has overheated and could have blown the head gasket or warped the head.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the 'bang' it was driven less than half a mile to get it in to a layby. Steam has come from water expansion tank. Lots of water on the head shield above exhaust, so realtively comfortable with the head at the moment, but will check water and oil for contamination.

Just got the replacement AC pump. The one on the car seems to have the clutch binding. The new one appears to be more free wheeling. The AC has not worked since we had it. Not bother, tell the Mrs to wind the window down.

Will get a full belt tensioner on order. INA and Gates appear to be coming in under £90 on fleabay.

· Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,693 Posts
tensioner without a belt or transit pin will rest on the vibration damper, so it likely won't spin, pull it up and lock it then try....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts