MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice bullshit advert, I’d not bother as the reality is it will fit poorly and offer little if any better cooling performance. It’s not just about core size, it’s about core efficiency and air movement within.

These cheap coolers are usually only any good for 3 high boost runs then they can’t dicipate heat Quickly and performance worsens dramatically.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
I had one before the airtek, can’t really comment on the extra performance it gave as I had a new pulley fitted at the at the same time

As for the fitting, as Keith coops says they fit poorly, the snoot boots are poor quality too, they split within a month, mainly due to the poor fitting, lohen replaced mine with Alta ones, as I say I then went for an airtek which in all fairness took a bit of fettling to the old intercooler mounts fit snuggly, which had I done that in the first place MAY have made the cheapo one fit better

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,481 Posts
It's been a very very long time since I did the testing on these (it certainly looks like the same unit). Fit was diabolical then, good to see the only changes they've made is to double the price

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice bullshit advert, I’d not bother as the reality is it will fit poorly and offer little if any better cooling performance. It’s not just about core size, it’s about core efficiency and air movement within.

These cheap coolers are usually only any good for 3 high boost runs then they can’t dicipate heat Quickly and performance worsens dramatically.
I'm a little insulted you think I'm advertising these. The seller is in the UK, you can clearly see I'm in Ireland. I've read up a lot on them, and I'm aware of the fitting issues, and having to grind down the inlet manifold, but I can't afford a GRS, and these do provide better cooling if installed correctly so it's a viable option for me.

I'm at least grateful to Astroboy for the long thread he made a few years ago going into detail about these.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yes the MTC one is the same as that just overpriced. Used to be able to buy the cooler on its own. They are the same core as the Airtec so if you can get the airflow over it properly it's good.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm a little insulted you think I'm advertising these. The seller is in the UK, you can clearly see I'm in Ireland. I've read up a lot on them, and I'm aware of the fitting issues, and having to grind down the inlet manifold, but I can't afford a GRS, and these do provide better cooling if installed correctly so it's a viable option for me.

I'm at least grateful to Astroboy for the long thread he made a few years ago going into detail about these.
What are you on about? I referred to the advert you provided the link to, it’s obvious you are not selling them!

And no they don’t provide better cooling than the standard intercooler does, in fact they are awful as you’ll find out if you waste your money on one. Sometimes it’s best to wait for something better than rush in as soon as you can. My car runs a pulley, cam and bespoke mapping, yet a standard intercooler.

Next time try not to take unnecessary offence because see you don’t like an answer.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
I’m with Keithycoop on this, at no point does he imply you are the seller, just gave you an honest answer, I’ll be honest too and say when I saw the post I wondered if you were the seller but if you say your not fair enough

as for the item itself I didn’t have to grind the inlet manifold down in mine and I suppose with a bit of fettling it would have fitted better, the better quality snoots made a difference but it still wasn’t right, you could feel it sucking air in on idle between the boot and intercooler on idle, people suggested putting silicone seal in the gap but I didn’t want to do that, lohen got it to fit when they had the car for a supercharger service but I ended up swapping it about 2 weeks later anyway

Oh and another thing with it after about a week one of the mounting lugs on the front snapped off just by vibration/motion of the engine!

i ended up flogging it on, on eBay for £50 iirc

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,481 Posts
Regardless of the shonky fitting they work. Things like snapped off plugs happen because people don't know how they should be mounted. I'd still say go for a second hand GRS though

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Regardless of the shonky fitting they work. Things like snapped off plugs happen because people don't know how they should be mounted.
my lug snapped off after it was fitted properly by lohen, tbh it wasn’t so much the whole lug snapping off but the outer edge of it Just disintegrated, almost like a soft casting

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,481 Posts
Did they fit it with a rubber grommet and liner? That's the reason the holes are so big. The vast majority just bolt them and expect them to work

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Regardless of the shonky fitting they work. Things like snapped off plugs happen because people don't know how they should be mounted. I'd still say go for a second hand GRS though
If I had the option I would. Finding secondhand GRS intercoolers in the wild has gotten hard in the past year. I've been following the prices of secondhand ones for about 18 months now and they've nearly doubled in price since I started looking. I'm kicking myself I didn't buy one back then but I've only started modifying my R53 now so I didn't need one back then.

I just got it today, for a cheap crappy knockoff, I must say, I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the welds. And it came with those 'Pro' hoses that are 35 quid from Orranjie so even if the intercooler goes in the bin I have something decent to save my pride a bit. 😂

Maybe I'll change my tune when I go to fit the thing though 😂

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Theres some newbies on the forum that dont know half as much as they think they do.
So best of luck with the fitting and let us know what you think 👍

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a newbie looking for some extra IAT cooling, what's the best one to go for? Regardless of cost and is the 'JCW' one any different to stock?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts