MiniTorque.com banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looking back at the photos I took on instillation it appears that mine is a straight pipe and therefore non resonated.

When I bought the system I wasn't given the option of a res or non-res mid pipe. That said much like on my R32 I would have opted for the Non-res options.

I'm in Kent. So if anyone local wants to come have a lister or look drop me a PM.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I have just had the Hornet Full Race System fitted to my R53 today which I bought from here

Delivery was handled by DPD and arrived in one piece after two days.
The exhaust was well packaged in a big box and wrapped in foam sheets and cling film.

The build quality looks great, the welds are clean and generous and is painted in what I can assume is some king of high temperature grey coating.
The mechanic who did the work said that it fits really well and all the mounting points lined up perfectly.

It even has little Union Jack flags on the exhaust bends and smells like roast Beef when warm...

The sound is amazing although extremely loud, I think I will be picking up one of their universal center silencers which can be bought from here
The tail pipes at the back are nice and big and fill the gap in the bumper unlike the stock ones.

I think for the price its a bargain, I just need to park half a mile from the house so the wife doesn't hear.

·
Bugger
25,426 Posts
Looks shockingly awful, calling it a race system is the same as calling a fat person a BMX a competitor in the tour de france...

·
Bugger
25,426 Posts
Only common sense. A less restrictive exhaust is better than a restrictive one.

Remember how much it is too. It's better than stock either way.

Maybe a bit noisy for some.
Not always the case, in fact its been well proven that on minis stock is fine for up 280 bhp. because of how the supercharger on the mini is a pump and not a compressor you need to carefully control the exhaust scavenge effect. Too restrictive a system and it will heat up and too open and it will change the pulse. Its been proven that the mini has no problem making power with the stock system and a decent manifold.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not always the case, in fact its been well proven that on minis stock is fine for up 280 bhp. because of how the supercharger on the mini is a pump and not a compressor you need to carefully control the exhaust scavenge effect. Too restrictive a system and it will heat up and too open and it will change the pulse. Its been proven that the mini has no problem making power with the stock system and a decent manifold.
Didn't know that. Very Interesting. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Honestly I didn't purchase it for a power gain, I bought it because the stock one was shot and the Hornet was cheap and made a decent noise (The video doesn't do it justice, its way louder - too loud infact)

I know the smart option would have been to have waited and bought a Milltek or even found a 2nd hand JCW exhaust.
But I didn't have that luxury of time or money as the stock exhaust needed replacing and I followed my heart not my head.

·
Bugger
25,426 Posts
I would have opted for a new (euro car parts) stock system, or had an exhaust place make a new rear section with oval silencers (I had this done for about £200 on my mothers Forester when it was neigh on impossible to get pattern parts. Cylindrical silencers are not great for volume control as the chamber will not silence much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Honestly I didn't purchase it for a power gain, I bought it because the stock one was shot and the Hornet was cheap and made a decent noise (The video doesn't do it justice, its way louder - too loud infact)

I know the smart option would have been to have waited and bought a Milltek or even found a 2nd hand JCW exhaust.
But I didn't have that luxury of time or money as the stock exhaust needed replacing and I followed my heart not my head.
That's the same boat I've found myself in today... �� My wife came home from work last night and the n/s tailpipe has snapped off the box and the n/s box has totally rotted round the join... Spent the last hour or so "engineering" (bodging!) a repair using flexy wrap and a bit pot of exhaust repair gunge... ��
Don't really want to pay the money standard ones cost, so going for a Hornet system. Don't want to deafen everyone I drive past, but do like the idea of a bit of extra noise! ��
Just a question, for those that have fitted one DIY... Did you build the system, then fit it, or fit it in sections? ��

·
Registered
97 Posts
Fitted it in sections. Don't build it up and put it on. The amount of times I ballsed that up before I realised its not worth the hassle.

Think mine will be coming off and going up for sale of anyone's interested in one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for that! Was assuming it'd be easier in sections...

If yours is coming off soon, I'd be interested!! ...Providing by tempary fix holds out!

·
Registered
97 Posts
You can buy the silenced pipe for £30 I think.

Mine is the non-res one and it's awesome around town but killer on long drives. I suppose you could always go non-res and then buy the resonator desperately if it is too much.

Either way mine is going as I'm going R56 on mine. Shame because it does sound rather nice.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts