MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a new exhaust, as my R53 has rusted both the back boxes now. Ideally I want a JCW one but when searching through ebay I found this Hornet one. It is so cheap I presume it's not going to be amazing but was keen to know if anyone has any experience with this exhaust or know anything about it?

Ebay link attached:

BMW Mini Cooper S R53 (2002-2006) Hornet Exhaust - Full Race System

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been looking at the very same for mine when it needs to be done,
the thing I like the most is that it has smaller back boxes, meaning it will
look better from behind, the vid’s don’t seem too loud to be honest..

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had one. I liked it, the missus made me get a quieter one. I miss it if I'm honest.

It sounds great, pops etc all over the shop even in my pre facelift. Has a good build quality, wicked flow as no back boxes/baffles etc. Cheap as chips too.

Do it, but also buy the resonator - without it, it's a bit much for a daily.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have been looking at the very same for mine when it needs to be done,
the thing I like the most is that it has smaller back boxes, meaning it will
look better from behind, the vid’s don’t seem too loud to be honest..
It drones like fuck at certain points in the rev range. Be warned. Get the resonator if you do go for it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks, I was only talking from the vid’s I have seen, not any physical factual info so that’s great to be told
about the droning, shouldn’t be surprised really with hornets on the boxes.
Yeah, sorry. Was just trying to pass on the info.

It boils down to how fussy you are I guess. I used it everyday on the motorway & survived.

It's louder and deeper when cold, but after 5-10 mins it settles down.

At higher revs it sounds above its price bracket.

It's lighter VS stock. It's lighter than the direnza I put on afterwards too.

Trying to think of anything else significant.

·
Registered
156 Posts
ive been looking at exhausts to replace my 1 ball as i wanted more noise seen these n thought nah must be plop maybe not then

·
Registered
390 Posts
For the money they are pretty decent... Sound wise they aren't too bad, certainly don't sound like a wet fart like some cheap ones do lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi im new, I have one of these and love crackles and pops but am having a knightmare getting the resonator as they dont seem to be listing them on ebay at the moment. Have sent multiple messages to Jon from Hornet Exhausts over the past month and a bit. They appear to be away now til the 10th July. They do drone at certain revs and am looking forward to getting the resonator asap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone who has the system done a comparison between the straight pipe version compared to the resonated mid pipe version to see if there is any noticeable difference?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interested in this... the videos ppl put online of thier exhasuts a keak... so much wind noise and you cant get a real sense of how it sounds...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interested in this... the videos ppl put online of thier exhasuts a keak... so much wind noise and you cant get a real sense of how it sounds...
Will hopefully be doing a review over the next couple of weeks of the exhaust. Will show it under the car and a before and afterwards. I have the extra midpipe resonator for mine as it was a bit to loud for me without it. Will post a link once its up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a hornet exhaust on my R53 and have to say for the money I am very happy with it. I bought it back in April and have probably covered 1000 miles with it.

Hornets service is very good, two systems arrived damaged and they paid for them to be collected and replaced with no drama at all. They was also kind enough to give me a part refund which makes things better.

The quality of the system seems to be satisfactory, as a fabricator I am probably a little picky and have returned milteks (for a R53 GP incidentally) for poor and believe it or not missing welds, but the hornet seemed to be good enough to keep me happy. Instillation was incident free and all lined up and fitted up superbly. It did come with two sets of hangers and I'm not sure why. Facelift and pre facelift or R53/R56 perhaps?

The sound of the system is probably one of the reasons I like my car so much. It gives a burble and a pop regularly which is something I like without sounding throaty and broken, the only criticism I do have is that on the motorway at about 70mph the thing does drone like something awful. I have to drive from Kent to Scotland next month and my misses has said she isn't happy to do it in my car because of the drone. However over the weeks I've had it fitted it does seem to have become less noticeable. I have wondered if an exhaust Bung of some sort could help reduce the problem. Given the limited mileage I do at motorway speeds I see the drone as a small forfeit for an otherwise awesome system.

All in all for £200 I think they're well worth the money. I will try to edit some photos in later today unless photo bucket is still being a minge.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts