MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone is running a turbosmart bov, and if so did you go recirculating or atmospheric? Just picked up a used one via a guy I follow on instagram and fitted at work today. Had one fault code BOV Plausibility or whatever that means, cleared it and so far so good. Will be keen to give it a good drive to see if there is any noticeable gains, although Lohen comment on around a 10bhp gain on a stage 1 mapped car. There weren't many videos on YouTube of owners with them so just wondered if anyone has one and what they thought of it. (y)

Geoff.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had the atmospheric one on my old turbo, it's better than the OEM DV it replaces. Now and again I would get the fault code and needed to adjust the setting best suited to the car.

Turbosmart now have a new version at Lohen.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was tempted by the atmospheric, but concerned it would be too loud. This popped up second hand so took it as it was a nice saving over the list price.
Looks like this (image is for a fiesta st) but not sure if this is the old design then?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Been running the older 50/50 BOV on an N14 JCW for a while and really like it. Handles 25 psi without breaking a sweat and will handle a lot more. Took a little fine tuning at first since it is adjustable. Also you periodically need to remove it to clean and lubricate the piston but that’s a small price to pay for how well it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been running the older 50/50 BOV on an N14 JCW for a while and really like it. Handles 25 psi without breaking a sweat and will handle a lot more. Took a little fine tuning at first since it is adjustable. Also you periodically need to remove it to clean and lubricate the piston but that’s a small price to pay for how well it works.

Thanks for the reply. Is a 50/50 BOV the same looking as the one in the picture? Im not sure how old a model I have?
For me I definitely think its improved how the car boosts. I was always sceptical over the newish but standard BOV I had on after I stage 2 mapped it. For ages it was super quiet like you could barely hear it and then in the last two months you can hear it vent much more noticeably and seems slower to pick up. Maybe the diaphragm on it broke?
I do feel that its markedly improved. Maybe its BS..only one way to know and that's to Dyno it again. (y)

·
Registered
39 Posts

Mine is the Kompact Dual Port. 50% recirculates and the other 50% is atmospheric. They also have the Kompact Shortie that’s 100% recirc.

The newest ones are the Kompact EM that retain ecu control of the recirc valve rather than operating pneumatically.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK so basically I've bought the older model. That's disappointing. Tonight I got multiple BOV plausibility faults, with the eml showing up on the rev counter computer. It's fine I can clear them, but obviously not a long term solution.

I guess I'll need to take it off at the weekend. But does this mean it's faulty or if it means "adjusting" as previously spoken of, how do I go about adjusting it? Lubricating with a lithium grease or wd40 would that help? ?

Goes like stink so looking to fix this asap?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yours is the newer model going of your picture post and is eletronic controlled as Tiger2011 says above and shouldn't have the problems you've been describing as I'm guessing that's why they updated the design.

The one Tigger2011 posted above is the older version which I have.

With your version you would have to check if it's recirculated or atmospheric

Try contacting Turbosmart directly.

Not sure if you've looked here

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yours is the newer model going of your picture post and is eletronic controlled as Tiger2011 says above and shouldn't have the problems you've been describing as I'm guessing that's why they updated the design.

The one Tigger2011 posted above is the older version which I have.

With your version you would have to check if it's recirculated or atmospheric

Try contacting Turbosmart directly.

Not sure if you've looked here

Morning thanks for sharing those links, and good to know its the new version.

So I'm running the BOV Compact EM Plumb Back VR10. I have a stage two manic map from Lohen on it. I think ill take your advice and drop them a message and see what options there are. Driving into work this morning its quite temperamental as to when it fault codes..a few blasts and no problem, then in slow moving traffic it might BOV eml. Strange.

Cheers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
On the older style adjusting them can be a little tricky. Back the spring off until you can see the o-ring. Slowly tighten it until the o-ring is no longer visible. Then tighten 1.5 turns. That’s a good place to start.

28AA error codes are triggered when manifold pressure exceeds the maximum limit in the ecu after it has triggered the recirc valve. Normally this will occur in 4th gear or higher if you roll on the throttle and close the throttle just as boost begins to build. If you listen closely is because the BOV will flutter slightly. Its the flutter that seems to trigger the error. Adjusting it correctly will eliminate 99% of the issue.

Very easy to permanently fix inside the tune though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure these newer EM variants are adjustable.. At least not to my knowledge. Update on the one I bought, I've returned it to the guy I bought it from who is going to refund me what I paid and refit it back to his car.

I've bought a new item which should arrive Tuesday. I'll then refit the new item and hope all will be fine. If its not I guess I'll need to talk to some tuners and get their take on it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So latest news.. Having gone back to stock and it throwing no codes I fitted my brand new one today. All seemed well with a 15 min run around the block.

On the way home tonight about 15-20 mins in, all up to temp it threw two BOV plausibility codes, plus a super knock code and fuel cut off. The later I've had before and even Lohen weren't sure on why it was spluttering a bit under load.

Anyway thoroughly pissed off and can't understand why it's doing this. Turbosmart state its for tuned (mapped) cars and a direct OE replacement and nothing else required. If that's the case why would Mike be throwing these codes?

Should I take it to my nearest mapping and dyno shop for their opinion? Could do to Evolve or SA Tuning.

Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've bought a brand new direct From turbosmart, kompact em plumb back vr10. It's meant to be plug and play.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wouldn't have expected to have problems with the plumback version as you're having now, as nothing is vented so should be as close to stock as possible.

What are you trying to achieve? To hold boost better?

If you're trying to hold boost better than stock DV, I've read somewhere about a DV/mod you can do from the VW range that'll work.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Me neither, I bought it based on reviews online and what Lohen had suggested for people with more than a stock car.

My current standard diverter (bought around September last year) I dont think makes boost very well and in recent weeks maybe 6 its much more atmospheric than I remember it once being. Hence looking to upgrade. And when I did it was quite noticeable that this makes boost better. Throttle response is improved and it feels like it pulls more from around 2k onwards where as stock its quite flat until nearer 3k.

Ive emailed Turbosmart and not heard anything back and I messaged them on instagram in Aus and they just spun me back to contact UK. Not brilliant customer service.

Ive messaged SA tuning and he reckons it sounds mechanical. But I can't see how after two of these have been fitted and both do the same code. They aren't handed, it can only go in one way really as if the lead were poi ting upwards I don't think it would be long enough to go around and meet the connector.

What's this VW mod you're speaking of?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm sure it's on this forum somewhere but google was easier

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm sure it's on this forum somewhere but google was easier

Thanks for sharing. I've had a read and although there are some positive feedback it's a little "bum seat" guessing.

This also has me a little skeptical. I'm sure there is something that can be done. Just got an email bounce back from so re sent my email to turbosmart. Doh!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spoke to a main agent of turbosmart today, and it turns out these particular models are a nightmare for fault codes and suggested that I send it back to him, get a full refund and buy a mechanical version.

I also checked in with Jake at Lohen who suggested these fault codes shouldn't happen and that there are a sequence of bad bits of kit out there and that the newer versions shouldn't fail. This is news to me as I had bought direct and didn't think there would be problems.

Once the new BOV turns up I'll get it on and give the final update.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts