MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently on a 469 catcam which is a street cam basically.

Mine's a race car and I have my head off for valves currently. Wandering if a 463 or 464 rzce/rally spec camshaft is worth it.

Facebook: Chequebook Racing
Insta; @chequebookracing

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry man, also on the 469. Got a question if you monitor your boost by any chance? Since I stalling my catcam, I see boost rises in the rpm range until around 4000-4500rpm and then stop increasing from there? Whereas before as with any other cooper s with stock cam, the boost rises all the way to red line. Is this just a characteristic of the cam? I always wonder if going back to stock cam will see higher power levels due to an increasing boost level to red line

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Sorry man, also on the 469. Got a question if you monitor your boost by any chance? Since I stalling my catcam, I see boost rises in the rpm range until around 4000-4500rpm and then stop increasing from there? Whereas before as with any other cooper s with stock cam, the boost rises all the way to red line. Is this just a characteristic of the cam? I always wonder if going back to stock cam will see higher power levels due to an increasing boost level to red line
The 469 breathes better at high rpm than stock, so there's more air going through the engine, which means you see less pressure in the intake manifold but more power. Same thing happens with BVH.

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
^that

469 starts coming in around 3.8k so more efficient above there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: hingisp

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But kn topic, anybody know of any 463 or 464 cams being used or cams of similar duration?

1320 havent mapped any before now so no idea if it is good or not

Insta; @chequebookracing

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 469 breathes better at high rpm than stock, so there's more air going through the engine, which means you see less pressure in the intake manifold but more power. Same thing happens with BVH.
Thanks, always was wondering if I was experiencing a boost leak as the pressure would peak early and then just stays the same all the way to red line. Thanks for the replies here, I can lay this concern to rest in my head haha.

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
a Newman PH3/4 has a published duration only 6deg behind the 463 which I'm going to use for a bit, and over 1.5mm more exhaust lift, although some info can be taken at different points. Whether a 463 or 4 is right for you or not might depend on what you want from the car or if you're changing anything else and if you like the compromise/s.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
a Newman PH3/4 has a published duration only 6deg behind the 463 which I'm going to use for a bit, and over 1.5mm more exhaust lift, although some info can be taken at different points. Whether a 463 or 4 is right for you or not might depend on what you want from the car or if you're changing anything else and if you like the compromise/s.
the head is the most important part of the equation. Many of the cams Newman is selling with high duration and lifts are made for my head, not the lower flowing heads people are putting them on
I see people running cams with big lift yet have poor head flow at those numbers. You would be better off with a lower lift cam and more duration to cover it up

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
I agree with potential for too much cam, or too little, been there myself trying cams in heads I bought used, one made all the power late and another other lost 20 haha.

Personally I view the cam as the more important, it is that which determines any engines characteristics before a head, the head should be spec'd for the cam, obviously if it is known that a car will be a race car of a certain type then perhaps it's a given the cam and head will be an advanced spec. I'd be considering the capability of the engine to carry some cams though, meaning if it can't rev through the full band it's a waste of cam, then with a wild cam there's possibly a higher idle and peaky cams with lag that narrow the band, then the transmission fast becomes a factor too if it can't help the engine spin all of the time well in the band where the power is.

The 469 needs to be above 4 or 4.5k as it is really, using the 463 or certainly the 464 will likely leave you a narrow band and lag then might need more rpm than you have available making it narrower still, then you have a gearbox compromise too potentially. All food for thought.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I agree with potential for too much cam, or too little, been there myself trying cams in heads I bought used, one made all the power late and another other lost 20 haha.

Personally I view the cam as the more important, it is that which determines any engines characteristics before a head, the head should be spec'd for the cam, obviously if it is known that a car will be a race car of a certain type then perhaps it's a given the cam and head will be an advanced spec. I'd be considering the capability of the engine to carry some cams though, meaning if it can't rev through the full band it's a waste of cam, then with a wild cam there's possibly a higher idle and peaky cams with lag that narrow the band, then the transmission fast becomes a factor too if it can't help the engine spin all of the time well in the band where the power is.

The 469 needs to be above 4 or 4.5k as it is really, using the 463 or certainly the 464 will likely leave you a narrow band and lag then might need more rpm than you have available making it narrower still, then you have a gearbox compromise too potentially. All food for thought.
the Mini's heads and exhaust manifolds are so restrictive that fixing that is the first priority as you can gain up to 40whp just by porting and a mild cam. The key is to find out what you are going to use the car for and design the cam around it. Having a stroker allows you to cover up larger cams as you already have the added torque down low. Once you go TVS on top of that down low is just wheel spin so having the ability to shift that power up top really is a blessing. Knowing how each cam affects peak torque will help you design the proper setup for the car you are going to be happy driving in all conditions

Reactions: JannerSy

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What spec are your race rally cams.

I'm currently on a cat cam 469 but am looking at something to drag a few extra hp out.

My car is for race only but I am on stock rev limits

Insta; @chequebookracing

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
The head is the most important part here (others can disagree that's fine. I don't care, no one goes faster around the tracks than the cars we build) It doesn't matter what cam works best in my head it's what works best with what you have. From my data and the race teams we support that ran the stock head and stock red line cars we developed the 250 cam, best area under the curve with a proper header design. It's the best compromise . A Mini is best off the corner so the faster you can get off it by having a cam with great area under the curve vs a cam with a few more peak hp but dead off the corner is: he will be chasing you the entire straight away. Depending on the types of tracks you run, you can figure out the type of cam that will work best. You want to look at your data and see your average RPM off the turns. Look mainly at the slow corners as this is where you will be at the biggest disadvantage to the turbo cars. You want your peak torque within 300-500rpm of that number (above corner exit, area under curve cam will stay fairly flat torque with proper header design). This will get you off that corner with minimum damage to those turbo cars that have the opposite power band of the supercharger cars.Once you start looking at the data you will see that a peak hp cam on this car with stock redline will not make up for a area under the curve design. Now if you are talking 8k redlines, we can discuss a whole other animal. Any smart turbo car driver will purposely slow you into those slow corners to put you at the biggest disadvantage. You are better backing off slightly, get your best line and getting your best run on him on mid corner to exit speed so he can't slow you as much. Then you can get by in the straight as his turbo drops off in the higher rpm area. Header design you can shape the peak torque and how much it falls off too by tube diameter size and length. Most people go to big of catback for stock supercharger. Don't you will lose much needed torque

Reactions: JKo and JannerSy

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rob Cox currently has my head. Previously ran his Rallye ported setup but now chucking valves in as well.

I would say the predominant tracks I race at, the straights dictate laptime and the corners merely separate them. For instance this year we (would have had pre covid19) Silverstone National, Silverstone International, Silverstone GP, and Croft and Snetterton 300.

Yet they then throw in Brands Hatch Indy and Oulton Park which are all about the corners.

Insta; @chequebookracing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts