MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
N14

....an inevitability 馃槀

Well that's it now, curiosity got the better of me haha.

Finally ended up with a Chilli Red R56S ordered new to include the JCW kit just without the rear spoiler or carbon dash, January 2007 build, 2 prior owner, 78k car. Totally original bar a phone mount attached to the back of the tacho.

Aware the power is stock on the early JCW cars, this just has the aero styling, so sills and bumper covers, plus 18" R105? wheels, JCW carbon mirror caps, gear knob, and parking brake handle. It suits me fine having stock power, because if I do anything with it, it would end up significantly above any FJCW power anyway.

The car has Gravity Tuscan Beige leather which isn't for everyone but I like it, much nicer than the typical black leather, and for the age and mileage it's in exceptional condition, very light wear, just a small nick in the NSR headrest I noticed. It all needs a clean really, but still nice as it is.

This car I will say from the outset is for sale, or will be, but this one I felt was worth saying a bit about from day one and as I go rather than loading it into a sale ad when I've already got some stuff done.

There is another train of thought, in that if someone is interested in buying this that sees it here, they have the opportunity of influencing the finished car. For instance, I can build the car with performance camshafts, aftermarket forged con rods, higher performance bearings, Quaife or MFactory ATB differentials, light flywheel or alternative clutch, aftermarket valve springs and caps, ported head, cylinder support system, ARP top and bottom, you get the idea.

What's the point? Well this type of work on these amounts to one hell of a labour bill, usually tackled over an ownership term, however with me doing it the costs can be hugely reduced as the car is going to be the cost of the standard car, plus 'all' performance parts and related engineering if such work was required, all labour will be either low or simply FOC, if someone was quick enough of course, because as usual I have decided to tear the motor apart anyway.

The car is in really good order but being red has some lacquer peel, aside from this, one or two minor trolley marks and one dent in the drivers door lower down with a scratch, not big but visible. Trims and overall the car is in really tidy and smart condition. The worst of the lacquer peel is on the tops of the front wing panels above the repeaters. I've made no decision on any possible action for this as yet.

Anyway, here it is....

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg

Nothing has been cleaned, it's just as collected, running well but having signs of cylinder head gasket failure, and that is the reason for any disassembly.

Symptoms are recent and the car laid up due to them. I elected to drive the car back here but only after changing the oil beforehand and keeping the rpm low, then stopping to recheck the coolant after initially correcting it, all was good with no loss of heat through the matrix and no warnings, and a clear fault memory after the run bar map thermostat activation, something very common to all R56's even with no other symptoms.

I know the car had a Forge intake on it at some point but that was sold some time ago and the car otherwise I can tell was/is left unmolested.

More to follow....

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #2
wasted little time in getting the front up and off, quite the pain on these later cars compared to the R53
WP_20200727_001.jpg

Reactions: knt

Registered
Nice car and interior, but didn't the R56 N14 fjcw start from 2009?

Just checked WIKI from mid 2008.

Could it be cooper S with the JCW kit?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
reading through the sales quotation it does say dealer fit options, so that's ok, OP corrected, ordered from new is all that applies

fwiw I have said the car is stock power above, and it only consists of JCW Aero,

the arguments online over 'factory or not' JCW cars, are all fundamentally about power and internal engine hardware changes which do not apply to this car, just to be clear.

if I wanted a JCW car for the power hikes which I will get into at some point no doubt, it would then only be a factory version I suspect, purely for the internal differences, so a later car.

As above, if I do anything with this power wise it would be some way above any JCW option power, even if I don't and I just change the base strength, it will be far more capable of handling it ;O)

As we speak some fast road cams are being made for it, whether I use them or not in this is in the air at the moment, similarly for other parts options mentioned. I probably will, and if someone doesn't want them I'll just take stuff out.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
never a good look....
WP_20200727_005.jpg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
this picture, same as above, does make it look worse than it really is for the oil leak around the front, only because I'd sprayed it with something before doing much more, not really necessary to work on a motor that can easily be cleaned up before.

WP_20200727_002.jpg

clearly been leaking a while, and always a concern so close to a cat, a potential fire hazard.

WP_20200727_003.jpg

it'll never look like this again in my care....

WP_20200727_006.jpg

WP_20200727_009.jpg

WP_20200727_010.jpg

WP_20200727_013.jpg

WP_20200727_014.jpg

WP_20200727_017.jpg

Yuk!

Engines left like this are destined to fail. This car has had attention too, how people can leave them like this is a bit beyond me tbh. Below average for sure.

I know someone's been in here, the lower right cat bracket nut was missing and a couple of other typical signs of disturbance exist, either loose or adrift bits but nothing much, pretty sure it's localised to timing area access, and it's had some sort of manifold recall in the past.

Otherwise the engine I'm sure has had an undisturbed life, no sign it has been apart anywhere.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
removed the heat exchanger, quite possibly the cause of the oil and coolant mixing actually, gooey!

WP_20200727_020.jpg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
and then it's out....

WP_20200728_002.jpg

WP_20200728_006.jpg

Premium Member
Nice work Sean. That鈥檚 going to be almost factory fresh In your hands!

I鈥檝e just got the front end off on mine. Where is the tell tell leaks coming from then mate? I鈥檒l do those on mine to make sure I don鈥檛 have to do it later on.

Oil filter housing, heat exchanger, turbo return, cam cover.
Anything else?

I did hear the secondary vacum pump is worth replacing on these as it can contribute to the timing issues.

Registered
WOW you work quick (y).

Did you get the car cheap enough to do all the work and resell it again to make a profit?

If the car was a fjcw then you would've gotten more when you resell, as I looked around Autotrader yesterday and the early fjcw still fetches decent prices compared to cooper s with jcw kit.

Keeping my eyes on this thread to see what you do (y) .

Registered
2007 Mini Cooper S R56
Heat exchanger o rings are known to fail and cause coolant or oil leak. I personally recommend changing these on the r56 every 60k miles. High temperature makes them brittle causing hell of a mess as you see.

危蟿维位胃畏魏蔚 伪蟺蠈 蟿慰 SM-G960F 渭慰蠀 蠂蟻畏蟽喂渭慰蟺慰喂蠋谓蟿伪蟼 Tapatalk

Premium Member
2006 R53
Everyone needs to take a trip to the dark side occasionally. What plans for the cheese pistons?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
Nice work Sean. That鈥檚 going to be almost factory fresh In your hands!

I鈥檝e just got the front end off on mine. Where is the tell tell leaks coming from then mate? I鈥檒l do those on mine to make sure I don鈥檛 have to do it later on.

Oil filter housing, heat exchanger, turbo return, cam cover.
Anything else?

I did hear the secondary vacuum pump is worth replacing on these as it can contribute to the timing issues.
some of this is a legacy leak from the feed pipe I think, return definitely contributing, cover absolutely, most likely previous filter changes, vac pump seal I suspect is likely, and the main housing seals.

Disappointing to see that a workshop has had access to this and failed to clean leaked oil previously, it is a saleable task but any customer in their right mind would authorise it, even if only in the name of initial diagnosis and potential revisit.

All in the past already馃槀

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #14
WOW you work quick (y).

Did you get the car cheap enough to do all the work and resell it again to make a profit?

If the car was a fjcw then you would've gotten more when you resell, as I looked around Autotrader yesterday and the early fjcw still fetches decent prices compared to cooper s with jcw kit.

Keeping my eyes on this thread to see what you do (y) .
Haha, I don't really馃槀....only rods to separate from pistons otherwise in a million bits right now ;O)

Not really 'enough' but one has to accept there is a point where a car isn't going to get much cheaper, at the end of the day these are selling for still good money albeit perhaps in less than perfect condition, often with the owners inevitably refusing to acknowledge 'stuff' will be in need of attention, and why should they if they appear to run ok I guess. I've looked at a few. It had a value in any condition really, that's the crux of it. I look for more honest cars usually with obvious problems, at a price. So there is some margin yes, whether I recover the real hours value of what I'm doing just for the basic work I'd say is not really likely.

The F/JCW thing.... this car is unaffected by those potential performance differences or engine technical specs only available to later cars I believe, yes the later cars that had it available would be worth more, they don't come up too often to buy though with my version of reconditioning in mind, maybe already dead with holes in pistons, or timing chains failed, and still valued too high for the work I'd want to do, some sellers pretending they don't know what's wrong with them when we know they probably do, so cars with potential can take some finding, I do try to get them at the right price to make it at all worthwhile but I know where stuff leads and some are just not viable if wanting to pull completely apart and actually resolve problems. This one stood out because of the interior for me although others won't like it, and that's ok. I wanted it. It's nice really, people that have seen it have been positive which is good. If I mod it which is likely, it will be beyond JCW I suspect, I just might remove it all though if not wanted.

At the moment I'm still unsure what I want to do with it haha. I also have a nice 06 R53 in the same colour which will be for sale first, maybe :unsure:馃槀 the engine will come out of that too, but for a simple clutch initially, and I'll take a view then. That's mentioned now in my 'Toys' thread, it'll be here in a few days when I've repaired the body shop's loan car they left here with an oil leak to address.

(y)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #15
Heat exchanger o rings are known to fail and cause coolant or oil leak. I personally recommend changing these on the r56 every 60k miles. High temperature makes them brittle causing hell of a mess as you see.

危蟿维位胃畏魏蔚 伪蟺蠈 蟿慰 SM-G960F 渭慰蠀 蠂蟻畏蟽喂渭慰蟺慰喂蠋谓蟿伪蟼 Tapatalk
aware, these are alright I think but the main housing seals are questionable. Someone has gone to the effort of stripping this apart before and resealing the top gallery, whether with a new seal set or not who knows, possibly, considering the way they're attached.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #16
a slightly grubby bay

WP_20200728_008.jpg

and a slightly cleaner bay

WP_20200729_010.jpg

WP_20200729_013.jpg

WP_20200729_015.jpg

WP_20200729_018.jpg

WP_20200729_020.jpg

WP_20200729_022.jpg

WP_20200729_024.jpg

WP_20200729_025.jpg

WP_20200729_027.jpg

I'll probably mess with this some more, maybe a sub-frame removal coming....

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #17
Everyone needs to take a trip to the dark side occasionally. What plans for the cheese pistons?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
馃榿

Actually like with the 53, pistons might be added to the stash but not necessarily installed
....yet.

I have a strange logic perhaps for what I've been doing on the 53 which I would likely repeat for the N14. When the 53 comes apart soon for its 10k inspection maybe that'll warn me not to haha.

Open to all thoughts on it really as I consider options, just for the sake of conversation maybe, I have a tendency to go my own route exploring stuff for myself anyway, that isn't intending to disregard others ideas or caution if there, so much as there are usually details behind previous failures or issues and experiences, maybe just opinion, that we don't get to know the real background of, people do things differently, engines are different, use, history, customer, workshop, parts, etc, many variables, so that all in mind ultimately I have to consider things for myself, yet do listen.

That said, pistons were included in discussion today with my supplier, rods mainly and a bolt variant I already use, stuff is happening even if it doesn't appear here yet, there are other engines in bits too ;O)

Registered
Fantastic work Sean, love your determination to do things very thoroughly.

Really like the interior on this. Haven't looked at R56's much but will be keeping an eye on this.

What was your method for cleaning the engine bay area?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #19
one original clutch, on a wobbly flywheel ;O(

WP_20200729_004.jpg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #20
one detaching flexi, not uncommon, not leaking but on the list to action....

WP_20200729_007.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts