MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 755 Posts

·
Jason
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This project was meant to be different from my half arsed attempts in the past. The saxo's and the r5gtt's that went before it always ran out of money and were sold on before I had a chance to finish them. I've almost hit a wall with this one already but the mods will continue coming as long as I keep getting paid. I've already had to make a compromise on the wheels. I wanted a set of Ultraleggera's but getting ready for a Snetterton trackday in April put a stop to that as you'll see. I'll get there eventually and I've got a good idea of what I'm aiming for.

I didn't want to make a project thread until there was something worth talking about.

So here's the car how I bought it:

Some of you may remember in my noob thread that I'd done this to it to prep it for winter:

The old 18"s currently occupy my mum's greenhouse so I'll need to ebay them before Spring rolls round proper. In the meantime I bought a few things:

Meister's
KMT Chargecooler
16" Rota Fighter's w/R888's
R56 calipers, discs, pads
Dave.F

I've fitted the Dave.F and the other bits currently occupy my parents dining room. Even after I moved out they were never going to get rid of me fully :laugh:

I'm booked into 1320 for the 11th March. Between now and then I need to buy some adjustable rear arms and some everyday wheels. Due to the cash flow problem I've decided that some Team Dynamic's Tornado's will have to do for now:

I'm not sure about the red lip and I haven't even bought them yet. I'm tempted to go for Pro Race 1.2's but that'll be another 100 quid. I'd roll on the steelies for another month but the R56 calipers put an end to that.

Hopefully my next update will see the end of the arch gap!

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••​

So that's how the thread started. Here are some key moments and links to them in this thread:

Page 2: Meisters are fitted with OZ Superleggera's.
Page 4: New brake set up and trackday at Snetterton.
Page 6: 15% Kavs reduc pulley fitted with Kavs Chargecooler.
Page 8: Dyno graph, more lows and a trackday at Brands Hatch.
Page 8: Whiteline rear ARB and Rota's fitted
Page 9: Batou posts a meme.
Page 13: AP coils are fitted.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

·
Jason
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aye that red lip has bothered me ever since I saw them for 300 quid. Richcoop I think I owe you beer or 2. I'm starting to wonder why I had my heart set on 17"s.

Chargecooler was Tristo's and a bargain as more engine mods were always on the cards.

·
Jason
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Some nice purchases ready to go on. You already running a reduced pulley hence the chargecooler? Why not scour ebay for some bargain alloys? What's your budget?

Some cheap wheels on the bay that could do with a cheap refurb, but would do the job:

OZ Super Turismo GT 4 x 100 on eBay (end time 25-Feb-11 12:09:26 GMT)
I've just been informed that these were delivered to my parents house. Cheers for the spot Rich! Parents didn't know they were coming and mum seemed annoyed. Got the original 18"s in the greenhouse, Rota's in the dining room and they'll soon have a set of steelies in the garage heheh.

Does anyone on here know Tristo btw? He's got the chargecooler I bought from him and he said he could leave it at 1320 for me when the time came. His lack of reply suggests he hasn't been on here for a bit. Thanks.

·
Jason
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No pics of the SuperTurismo's yet I'm afraid. Will do by tomorrow night though. Any news on Tristo?

I'm waiting on the rear control arms that Jamesf recommended in this thread: http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f25/adjustable-rear-control-arms-where-17734/ Apparently they were last seen leaving California last Friday so they should be in the country by now huh? If they don't turn up tomorrow I'll have to reschedule with 1320.

The rims will need spigot rings. I'm enquiring about some OZ ones on ebay at the moment. They don't make anything vibrate (unless you're perhaps doing 90) but something sounds like it's vibrating at certain other speeds.

I've got some R56 calipers and discs waiting to go on and should recieve some brake fluid and oil from Opie tomorrow.

Just got to be a bit more patient but the car should be transformed in a week or two.

·
Jason
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The rear arms were delivered a couple of days before they were needed which was nice. They aren't transmitting any road noise into the cabin and seem to be doing a fine job.

So I was at 1320 last Friday. I had the Meister's fitted with the SPC's. It wasn't that difficult to find and the sun was shining for once. Thomas welcomed me along and introduced me to Scott. The conversation quickly moved onto how low I wanted it. I knew I wanted it to be low without looking stupid as I don't encounter any speed bumps where I live.

I couldn't tell you how much the car was lowered as taking note of such things tend to go out the window when all you're thinking about is how it'll look and handle when it's time to leave. The damper settings are set in the middle and I'm yet to fiddle with them. I'll be reading up on what other Meister runners are doing and go from there.

It rides almost like oem at the moment. When I pick up the girl I car pool with tomorrow she won't notice a difference. At first it was a bit odd. I'd be going down the road until I'd find a corner. Once I'd start to turn in and expect body roll it didn't happen :lol: I'm pretty happy. Cheers to 1320 and hello to Steve, Ian, Dave, Sam, Junky, Tristo and Russ.

Brakes next!

·
Jason
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do it Ian! Lowering your car will make it look spot on. The supert's are doing their best to make me keep them. A refurb in black might make them more permanent.

If the weather's good next weekend I'll clean up my Rota's and get a preview of it's trackday look

·
Jason
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's true, the chrome has to go. Plan of attack goes:

Brakes
Chargecooler
Pulley
Exterior

I'll be looking into painting my r56 S calipers soon. Not sure about what colour. Red comes to mind first but it's too obvious.

·
Jason
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think the settling has already started. I walked up to the car after work and swore it looked lower. I'll definitely be adjusting the damper settings this weekend. An aero kit is on the cards unless I save up for some kit from Mr Battle Performance. I'll see how things go.

1 - 20 of 755 Posts