MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a total of now 8 MINIs in my 11 years of driving. This is now my 5th 1st gen Cooper S (4 R53s and 1 R52 S).
Couldn't decide what to go for, then a Black Eyed Purple came up for sale, a colour I love so it was pretty much a done deal. The car has 128,000 miles on it and is in need of some TLC. The garage that sold it have just fitted a new radiator and a new clutch. The interior has seen better days and is showing its age, but I'm not bothered as most of it will be coming out anyway... 🤷‍♂️

So the plan is to get it in some fit state for track days. I'm going to have the engine rebuilt, with some upgraded parts that I can afford within my budget. I can already see my budget won't go too far once you factor in the engine, then brakes, coilovers, and all the other suspension bits, roll cage!

So the plan is focusing on the needs first, and then the wants later.

Updated now with what's been done so far.

Engine & Exhaust:

• Lohen Big Valve Head with Shrick Inlet & Exhaust Valves
  • Supertech Beehive Valve Springs
  • Wossner +0.5mm Forged Pistons
  • ZRP Forged Rods
  • Mahle Motorsport Race Ends
  • Newman PH3/4 Camshaft
  • KAVS -13% Supercharger Pulley
  • JCW Airbox with ITG Filter
  • Janspeed Manifold with Tomcat
  • Milltek Resonated Exhaust
  • Pro Alloy Intercooler
  • 550cc Injectors and 1320 Tune (12th November)

Drivetrain:
  • Spec/Fidanza Alloy Flywheel
  • Clutchmasters FX400 Clutch
  • Quaife Differential

Suspension & Brakes
  • Budweg Front Brakes (to be fitted)
  • R56 S Rear Brakes (to be fitted)
  • R56 Rear Trailing Arms (to be fitted)

Exterior:
Aero Replica Front Bumper
Leap Omicron 2 Scoop
JC Wing
Halo Sidelights
Union Jack Rear Lights
Joey Modded Headlights
Cades Grill with Supercharged Badge
Dynamic Side Indicators and Supercharged Badged Scuttles

For now I'll use it as is as I can't afford the coilovers I want yet. I'll get it on track with the standard suspension and just upgrade as need be I think.

When I bought it and as it is now pics.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good and plans sound great! I would have got a BEP if I hadn't found my BRG.

With regards to airbox you could make your own Dave.f style and for considerably less than buying anything similar, leaves more money for the other needs/wants.

For what it's worth mine was great fun on track with just 4pots, uprated brake fluid and Yoko AD08RS tyres.

Also gives a good base for when you add new parts as you can then 'feel' the benefit of them.

I'd add an oil temp gauge to the list, with peak warning if possible (will save you having to keep checking it). Managed to get my oil quite hot and would have likely done a few more laps rather than letting it cool down if I didn't have the gauge.
I do like BRG too. Not too many in that colour about either really, are there?

I have made my own previously, so may consider doing that again.

Which 4 pots do you have? I've been looking on Orranje and there are so many different options I'm lost!

That's a good shout actually, where do these usually install? I'll add it to the list.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Purple is a fantastic colour.
Personally Id refresh the suspension bushes, R56s brakes, rear antiroll bar, cam to keep sean happy :p decent tyres and keep the engine rebuild money in the bank until the engine is f*cked.
Thanks, that's one I missed off. Adding now. I planned on renewing all the bushes.

As for the engine, really? It's high mileage though. I wouldn't want to thrash it on track day for something to go on me. 😬

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Soooo... thought I’d take it out for a spin this evening. I hadn’t pushed it at all on my way home. Everything was up to temp so had a little blast onto the M53. What’s that behind me, is that spray from the road or white smoke? Looked down at the temp gauge to see it rapidly rising from the middle position. Fuck...

I’ve opened the bonnet and the (new) radiator isn’t even warm! It’s stone cold. Something’s not right.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guessing an air lock? Hopefully easily fixed 🤞
Sean kindly came to have a look today. He explained there’s a core plug in the back of the engine block which would pop out in the event of the anti-freeze being just water and freezing. This would hopefully stop the block from becoming damaged if/when water freezes and expands, instead forcing the core plug out. So basically my MINI dumped pretty much all the coolant in one go, hence the massive white cloud behind me.

Also resulted in a ride in Sean’s R53 which is a monster! So excited to get mine sorted now.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I’m off until the week of January 4th, but there’s nothing to do with most things being closed. Spending most of my time looking at either white goods :LOL: for my first home which I should be moving into in a month or two. Or MINI parts. Came up with a list of wheels to pick from. Thinking of having 2 sets, one with dry and one with wet track tyres.

All the following would be in 17”. Appreciate pics if anyone has any of these.

Konig Freeform Bronze
Konig Lockout Bronze
Speedline Turnini Gold
Sparco Trofeo 4 Bronze
Sparco Assetto Gara Bronze
OZ Ultraleggera Matt Bronze
OZ Alleggerita HLT Gold
OZ Leggenda Black
Rota Titan Gun Metal

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took the speedo, rev meter, climate panel, switches and CD player out today to change the LED colours and change the faces. Look what greeted me behind the speedo. :sick:

Mouse R53 Dash by Alan Humphreys, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fortunately, all the wires and things seem untouched.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Not much happening at the minute. Colour coded side scuttles today, with some badges I got. Not sure the colour is a good match though. No clear coat on it yet. Still have black ones if it doesn't look good.

Supercharged Side Scuttles by Alan Humphreys, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well this was meant to be a track car, and I wasn't going to get too into the aesthetic side of things. But seeing it on the drive everyday, and not being able to drive it. I kept thinking of things I'd like to do. New rear lights on the way, I'm in the process of flocking the dashboard, and I have these sorted now too for some subtle yellow touches.

Keeping me entertained until I can get on with the more exciting things! 😁

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Fitted my flocked dash today, along with the revometer, speedo, cd player, switches and climate panel which have all had the LEDs changed to pink/purple. Also black rings around the faces and vents. Dash isn't totally back together yet, but this is what it looks like so far. Really pleased with how the flocked dash looks.

Not sold on the faces though, the numbers don't look defined when lit up... Might have to swap them.

Edit - Spoken to the people who did the faces, and they're going to print me some different ones that will hopefully be more defined.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Where'd you buy the gauges? I've had a few over the years that were poorly cut or printed and had them remade. Seems to be a lot of people who do it from home to a poor standard.
Northern Lights SMDs and Dial Faces.
Is there anywhere you’d recommend to get them from if they don’t/can’t get it right?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes sounds familiar :ROFLMAO:

I think the guy who runs R53 OC did the ones I was happy with in the end, can't remember his name but if you ask on there people should be able to point you in the right direction.
Ah familiar in a bad way then? :confused:

To be fair, he was really helpful and offered to re do them to sort the problem, so I’ll give him a chance to sort it first, and if they’re no good then I’ll look elsewhere. Happy with the LED replacements they’ve done though.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So not much has happened with this over the last few months. Things are starting to happen now though. Will update the first post with what's being done.

My pistons finally arrived with Sean a week or two ago, block being honed to suit and then should be good to go!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Work in progress, really liking it so far though!

Reactions: shiftspark

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Car looks drunk with only one light in.

Glad I was there for the first start, hope I wasn’t in the way too much. Can’t wait to get it on the road now!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Very nice build, I want one !! how come its still using the standard cooler ?
It's still far from finished. I haven't decided what I want yet either. It's running a 13% pulley in the hope that temps shouldn't be too bad, hoping the Leap scoop will force more air through too. I'm leaning towards trying the Pro Alloy intercooler at the minute, although if a good used GP one comes up, I'd buy it.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
1320 have the GP cooler but are £1500 but if you get a performance pack with a smaller pulley it drops to £979 ?
Did you buy the bv head new or used as looking to do similar to mine over winter.
I have a feeling they maybe haven't updated the prices for the add-ons with their performance packages. I can't see the price being that much less. I'd probably plunge for one at £979.

The Lohen BVH was a used one Sean already had, so purchased from him. :)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Yeah you could be right at £979,I could just about stretch to that but not £1500. I can t see why a radiator repair place could not make a gp copy up.
When do you plan on mapping .
Mapping as soon as 1320 can fit me in. Need to put a few miles on the engine to run it in before then too.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Well I called this morning and took the 12th of November appointment. 😁

I've just picked my car up from Sean. Obviously lots still to do, but I'm very happy. Really impressed how well the car pulls and how eager it is already, even only using 2-4k rpm and no tune. I imagine it's going to feel amazing once its ran in and tuned!

Sean really is the only person to go to for your Mini needs! The attention to detail is second to none. So many bits sorted, niggly bits spotted and fixed that you simply wouldn't get anywhere else ime. Very happy :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts