MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title...… my ST 330's came today which tbh I'm not entirely happy about how they fit, but will persevere with them until a good used set of OEM ones becomes available. My s/h Airtec and new injector harness's have been waiting round for a few days now so did the lot in one go then whipped it up to a friends place who has autologic (JCW 210 file (y))
Now my original I/c was bolted down quite securely as to not over stress the snoot boots I presume(?) even though as Sean has said in comparison to the Airtec (a hefty lump!) the standard 'cooler is quite light!
So do people bolt their Airtecs down? And if so is there an available kit or time to start fabricating something up? For reference I've been told mine is circa 18 months old and it has two mounting lugs welded to it that are threaded but they don't align with anything. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
237 Posts
Mine was a right arse to fit, so much so I asked the question on here as to had I done it right....

simple answer, no I hadn’t, first thing I did wrong was place the front brackets on the wrong side of the mounting lug meaning it was too high, even after adjusting it it was still wrong, it sounds like yours is missing those 2 brackets?

see here

carsandbikes fitted it properly for me when he changed my gearbox, no doubt he can tell you what he did but I know at the rear he removed a couple of mounting pieces that were preventing the cooler from dropping lower at the rear and move slightly forward to allow the snoot boots to be properly in line

if you look through that thread I’ve linked to you can see the snoot boot clamps aren’t in line with each other after I fitted it but the pics of the engine bay after Sean did it properly they are lined up perfectly

So to answer your question other than the snoot boot clamps and front brackets there are no other bits holding it in place, TBH if it didn’t have the front brackets I don’t think it would make much difference but it may be worth giving airtek a ring to see if they do them as spares?

remember to take the under bonnet scoop liner out too

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Mine bolted straight in (I have std injectors), if I remember correctly, I had to remove the old brackets for the std intercooler.
I fitted mine years ago and I’m old so my memory is shit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
330's? Isn't that the stock size?

My Airtek was bolted at the front where it had the brackets. Felt pretty secure. I also removed the stock ic's rear support brackets from the back of the intake manifold. Don't remember if they were in the way or just figured that they were not needed anymore.
My apologies, it was late when I wrote that, meant 380's. ?
Jim, I'll have a look at your tread in a min but it seems I've got to at least remove the rear brackets.(y)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhhh! I see now, I'm missing the very front brackets. Bugger! Jim, seems there's a few of us within a bit of a radius, you in south Staffs, myself north Staffs (Stoke) ,presume MaccMike is a Macclesfield lad (?) and Sean I the Wirral. (y)

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
237 Posts
Didn’t know you were in alsager astroboy, im in crewe

......congleton, I’d love to go to congleton!

(a great line from the royle family)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh Jesus! I live in Alsager, used to work at TBE in Alsager until I found another job at Votex in Congleton! ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts