MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

There's a few exhausts kicking about but it's time for a proper debate on exhausts.

Please post the below information to help myself and others deciding on what to go for.
  • Was the car stock, if not which other mods were ran with the exhaust
  • Resonated or Non-resonated
  • Which brand
  • Additional manifold, or stock?
  • Pops and bangs review (compared with previous exhaust)
  • Any complaints with the exhaust currently?

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
what do 'you' think the best exhaust is? Even if you haven't bought one yet but where you're currently at with considerations? We can debate that ;O)

I don't give a hoot about pops and bangs really, it's no measure of power, and only does it slowing down

you need to add if the car is tracked, and maybe what it noise tests at

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do 'you' think the best exhaust is? Even if you haven't bought one yet but where you're currently at with considerations? We can debate that ;O)

I don't give a hoot about pops and bangs really, it's no measure of power, and only does it slowing down

you need to add if the car is tracked, and maybe what it noise tests at
Hmm true, It's more i've read countless exhaust posts and comments beaming left, right and center seem so confusing.

I was wanting to capture peoples opinions on their own exhausts and then log it so it can be easily viewed...

That aside! I was thinking of a Hornet Ebay cheapy originally but read its too loud, so I'm more swaying between Scorpion or Milltek Non-Res. I have only a CAI for the moment fitted but intend to mod later, and maybe in a couple years go track with it, if I switch projects and pick up a new car.

FYI I love pops and bangs, mine burbles but I want something a bit more in your face :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
both those you mention will be too loud on track if with a de-cat, but with a de-cat and a more open exhaust the pops are more pronounced, not so many owners really do track days so some probably don't care if the system is borderline, a few on here I believe have been black flagged for excessive drive by noise. Proven systems are JCW with cat or de-cat, fitted as intended so no res removal, and Milltek resonated with cat or de-cat, there are others people will mention. Piper will be one, Maniflow is another if the res with cat or de-cat, and non res with cat possibly borderline, some custom options but others will come along with suggestions soon enough.

some people will say to run a louder or borderline system and that you should just lift as you pass noise sensors, which kind of defeats the point of track days, at least if in a remotely quick car, doesn't matter if you're slowing for everyone passing you anyway perhaps. It's also a risk of losing your fee if it doesn't pass at all. They get louder over time, and also get louder as the tune level changes.

I have a side exit for sale if you want louder, this clip on the dyno was with a cat fitted, sounds alright but not for me, without it it's enough to crack walls probably but will suit some people, as for pops and bangs, they're pronounced, and if de-cat downright ridiculous haha. I don't dislike the pops etc but they are far from a priority, I'm interested in 'quick' ;O)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a lot of information!
Processing it now in my mind, couple questions back:
  1. I'm not wanting to go track for a couple years, so exhaust mod with track in mind isn't an issue for now, although assuming i go down a catback system route, would it yield decent pops or not still?
  2. What seems to be your experience with a catback, which performs well from what you're see/tested?

·
Registered
72 Posts
i'll chip in with the exhaust i got for my r53 off ebay, toyosport non resonated system, similar price range to the hornet, id call it a milltek copy really, was up for iirc £199 but i collected it as the distributor is only 2 mile from one of my places of work i got 20% off
  • Was the car stock, if not which other mods were ran with the exhaust -only a cheapo induction kit
  • Resonated or Non-resonated - non resonated
  • Which brand - toyosport
  • Additional manifold, or stock? - stock manifold
  • Pops and bangs review (compared with previous exhaust) - yes, lots
  • Any complaints with the exhaust currently? - binned 1/2 of it within a month......
basically it was just too loud to have on my daily drive, lots of pops and bangs, lovely rasp to it but annoying after the first few days, thankfully a member on here had a spare miltek resonated centre pipe which i bought for a bargain price and replaced the non resonated pipe with it, luckily went straight on using a short piece of the toyosport exhaust as a sleeve, been on 2 months now like that with no issue

not a bad system, came with everything required, went straight on but as i say noisy, good if you like that sort of thing but not for daily use in my opinion

as a slight aside ive got a scorpion full stainless on the R52 convertible (1.6 mini one, superchipped) running with a K&N 57i and that is lovely, cant bearly hear a thing from it until you put your foot down and it give a lovely deep throaty roar

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah thanks Jim, That's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for!

Does the scorpion pop and bang much? Can imagine it would more than stock, is it also non-res too?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so seems for pops and bangs a non-res is better, but thanks for the info, makes it easier to read.

I'm on the market for an exhaust in the next couple of months so may give a Milltek non-res a look into more

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
you won't get pops and bangs with a naturally aspirated car normally, it's in the map on the supercharged R53

much of the 'pops and bangs' is limited to the face lift car, the pre-facelift does burble a bit with some noise but not quite like the newer car. The state of tune including mapping will change the noise, even to the point of barely hearing any, adjustments can be made to a custom map to encourage them.

I forgot I also have a Fletcher cat back here which I will also sell, slightly quieter than the above clip, both turn heads, I didn't run it on my higher power car but might just to see, I suspect without a cat though it will also be loud.

My current JCW system is loud when I put my foot down, really quite loud, and it rasps which I don't like so much but I can control that with the throttle angle, on track apparently it's very loud, it has got quite a 'bark' to it which I really do like, yet cruising at a balanced throttle it's quiet. On the street with a boot in 1st or 2nd it is quite alarming haha.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
I don't think you can get it non res.

With regard to res pipe options it is better that you are familiar with the two most common styles. The larger of the two is typically the style associated with the option to have or not. The smaller is typically found on the polished style systems, typically Chinese. You can see here on two of this typical style, the similarity, then the last but one is JCW, similar to Milltek pictured below it which is very slightly larger diameter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Cars, Anyone had any experience with Powerflow, quality of build or anything?

Advertises as a bespoke maker for exhausts so curious if anyone has run into them before.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Thanks Cars, Anyone had any experience with Powerflow, quality of build or anything?

Advertises as a bespoke maker for exhausts so curious if anyone has run into them before.
Yes. I used to have one on my Subaru, it was well made and just the right level of noise. Looked like new 3 years later when I sold the car. Very good VFM.

J

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
803 Posts

I had a Powerflow before my R56 Scorpion, it was made for someone else but I got it when it was about 9 months old. Not a bad tone, very loud but made quite poorly, would have been disappointed if I had it made new. But it's down to the individual making it so they can be very good.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
I stuck a Scorpion non-res onto a Eurocat (or something similar) manifold that was on the car when I bought it. It was loud, rough and popped and banged like mad. My wife refused to be associated with the car! I've just fitted a Janspeed mani and tomcat and it's still loud but doesn't pop and bang anything like it did with the aftermarket/copy manifold. My in-laws heard me coming from the other side fo the village, so they said. I actually quite like it with the Janspeed, it's much much more smooth and refined sounding but I reckon i'll be looking out for a resonator pipe to add in.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Cat vs de cat makes a massive difference in the noise levels and tone. Can always be hard to tell listening through speakers but decat was crazy loud imo.

I’m running Janspeed manifold and a JCW cat back

This is running decat with the above

This is running with a cat

My car has never really popped or banged, you get a slight pop at the top of the Rev range changing up with both cat and decat, probably more pronounced with a decat

·
GP1511....gone!
2,959 Posts
When I originally bought my R53 GP I had a Janspeed manifold and sport cat fitted with a Miltek cat-back. The quality of the Miltek left much to be desired and had to have the resonator box replaced as the internals dropped to bits.

Ended up putting Mini Challenge rear diffusers on the car and that meant I needed a R56 exhaust. Tried a couple at 1320 and ended up with a Scorpion. Good quality and a nice sound.

Trial run.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts