MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have nearly finished the focus rs and is prducing outstanding power. so thinking about going back to a mini so what are everyones thoughts on the gp is it and if so how much better than a normal cooper s when tuned.

also anyone wanting a rs for a cooper s let me know.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is my second frs this one is extreemly powerfull now. i have had 2 cooper s i just enjoy them they are funky.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i can but the question i have come on here to ask is about the gp not the rs if you would like to have a go your more than welcome i will be up the pod next sunday weather permiting.

·
Premium Member
5,598 Posts
I wont tell the missus (RS was her dream car until the MINI)

You pay a premium for the GP that can be surpassed by putting a few mods on a normal Cooper S

I'll be at the pod next week so it'll be good to see what you run

·
freedom...blah
4,069 Posts
That is a tricky one...

Although you do pay a big premium for the GP, you are more likely going to be buying someones seriously well looked after mini (although there are exceptions :lol:), & will form a very solid base for any modifications, a lot of the basic power stuff is already there, however to get up to big power you'd still need - decent manifold/cam/ported cylinder head-bigger valves/bigger injectors and tune. A decent set of lightweight wheels and KW coilovers would help a lot too.

If you know someone selling a late 05/06 R53 with low mileage thats been properly looked after, then you will pay a fair bit less but will be a few more £s involved in getting up to the same level of power

The payback on the GP should come when it comes to selling it again (in stock form).

For me there is not much in it, similar kind of costs to involved in getting up to the same levels of power (once you take into account £s on the way into ownership & on the way out). I would have liked to have used a GP as the base for my project, but I suspect I would have been stabbed by the owners club because I would have changed it (i.e. remove, the wheels, spoiler, most of the engine & paint it a different colour :lol:)

PS I know that you know what you're doing anyway :thumbup1: just got carried away typing bollocks :blushing:

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,656 Posts
That is a tricky one...

Although you do pay a big premium for the GP, you are more likely going to be buying someones seriously well looked after mini (although there are exceptions :lol:), & will form a very solid base for any modifications, a lot of the basic power stuff is already there, however to get up to big power you'd still need - decent manifold/cam/ported cylinder head-bigger valves/bigger injectors and tune. A decent set of lightweight wheels and KW coilovers would help a lot too.

If you know someone selling a late 05/06 R53 with low mileage thats been properly looked after, then you will pay a fair bit less but will be a few more £s involved in getting up to the same level of power

The payback on the GP should come when it comes to selling it again (in stock form).

For me there is not much in it, similar kind of costs to involved in getting up to the same levels of power (once you take into account £s on the way into ownership & on the way out). I would have liked to have used a GP as the base for my project, but I suspect I would have been stabbed by the owners club because I would have changed it (i.e. remove, the wheels, spoiler, most of the engine & paint it a different colour :lol:)

PS I know that you know what you're doing anyway :thumbup1: just got carried away typing bollocks :blushing:
in summary
if your after GP LIGHT going to say 250 bhp with the car and a few tweaks
the gp is good to go
if you want to join the 300 club like roysters or time attack, start with a shell
as your paying extra for stuff that will all need upgrading/replacing

·
Administrator
17,320 Posts
Stick with the RS, unless it goes slower than the MINI's next week, then get a MINI.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Looks like my mates old RS as it had black wheels but supose you could have had them painted.

Im not a great fan of the GP id buy a hatch and mod tbh

·
Administrator
8,497 Posts
400bhp :lol: Didn't Russ and Tristo beat a 300+ Focus with their MINIs. We'll see what this RS does at the pod.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
400bhp :lol: Didn't Russ and Tristo beat a 300+ Focus with their MINIs. We'll see what this RS does at the pod.

lol the focus is not all about straight lines ppl genrally are not good at getting them off the lights you always make witty comments jove i am more than happy to do a variety of tests against your fully stripped cooper s against the rs you may well beat it up the pod mini is great off the mark instant power my last mini dynoed at 238 only run it a few times up the pod run 14.2 full int. the difference will come in terminal speeds so over 1/2 mile the rs would be going much faster and gone past over a mile evan bigger gap my mate has a 230bhp cooper s and it does not come no where near the rs.

but like i say find an airfield day and we can do any tests.

·
Administrator
17,320 Posts
lol the focus is not all about straight lines ppl genrally are not good at getting them off the lights you always make witty comments jove i am more than happy to do a variety of tests against your fully stripped cooper s against the rs you may well beat it up the pod mini is great off the mark instant power my last mini dynoed at 238 only run it a few times up the pod run 14.2 full int. the difference will come in terminal speeds so over 1/2 mile the rs would be going much faster and gone past over a mile evan bigger gap my mate has a 230bhp cooper s and it does not come no where near the rs.

but like i say find an airfield day and we can do any tests.
Be good to see them go up against each other, if you hook up it should be all she wrote, but then it would be good to see it against Roysters Cooper S too.

Performance numbers wise, will bring the performance box down and see what they all do, plus you'll have dyno numbers from the day before if you make it to 1320 for the dyno day.

·
freedom...blah
4,069 Posts
Be good to see them go up against each other, if you hook up it should be all she wrote, but then it would be good to see it against Roysters Cooper S too.

Performance numbers wise, will bring the performance box down and see what they all do, plus you'll have dyno numbers from the day before if you make it to 1320 for the dyno day.
Sounds good, i'll be down at 17PSI (not going any higher until fuel return is in place), which is currently putting out just over 300WHP (Will be on the scales on the saturday too). Will see what can be done on ET but main focus will be on what the terminal mph is.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how and where can we get an airfield ben. i hope no one took offence to my previous post cause i am not knocking minis cause i love them but i will stand up for the truth cause when ppl put posts without facts it bugs me. but will be really good if we can do some tests somewhere what is the weather like up your way its bad down here at the mo.

·
Administrator
17,320 Posts
how and where can we get an airfield ben. i hope no one took offence to my previous post cause i am not knocking minis cause i love them but i will stand up for the truth cause when ppl put posts without facts it bugs me. but will be really good if we can do some tests somewhere what is the weather like up your way its bad down here at the mo.
We've been trying for a while but it's far too costly with the numbers we'd get.

Post what you like, I think what Jove is trying to say is that on FWD cars big power is just a number, if you can't get it hooked up then you may as well have half as much. There have been so many Astra's and Focus ST's saying they're gonna 'whup that blue MINI' at the pod that Jove just laughs now whenever big numbers are given out until they beat his time at the strip then he hands out the respect. Much like he did with Jonny's Golf ED30.

·
Super Moderator
14,679 Posts
There are lots of airfield track days about. A guy on my course has a friend who runs them - the name Abingdon rings a bell.

I think it depends what you'd like out of the Mini, and how far you'll be planning on taking the modding. If you're going to be keeping it pretty much standard, maybe add an exhaust, manifold and a new filter - go GP, just for the exclusivity and re-sale value.

If, on the other hand, you're planning on silly power and putting in a new performance head, lightweight alloys, stripping, then go with a standard S. 1) No point spending extra money for a premium car you'll be changing anyway. 2) It's a shame to see the GP's messed with in my opinion. If you're going to take away everything that makes it a GP (spoiler, wheels, paint job etc) then why not buy a standard R53 and do it to that?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts