MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently acquired a 1979 Mini pickup. It has a 1275 engine, and now, a new HIF 44 SU carb. Installing the carb brought immediate improvements in running. Dialed it in as best I could after the engine warmed-up. If I try to accelerate fairly hard, the engine seems to fall on its' face, unless I've got a bit of speed. If I release the accelerator slowly, the engine speeds up nicely, but if I put my foot back into it, it falls again. If this was a different car and engine I would want to have a look at the accelerator pump on the carb. Anyone have any ideas? It almost feels like a two stoke motorcycle not quite being on the power band.

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
I've recently acquired a 1979 Mini pickup. It has a 1275 engine, and now, a new HIF 44 SU carb. Installing the carb brought immediate improvements in running. Dialed it in as best I could after the engine warmed-up. If I try to accelerate fairly hard, the engine seems to fall on its' face, unless I've got a bit of speed. If I release the accelerator slowly, the engine speeds up nicely, but if I put my foot back into it, it falls again. If this was a different car and engine I would want to have a look at the accelerator pump on the carb. Anyone have any ideas? It almost feels like a two stoke motorcycle not quite being on the power band.
Get on TMF the mini forum.

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
The answer youre looking for is ultimately; go to a rolling road with classic experience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
float level first off, ie if car demands more fuel from the variable induction of the su carb it will be like running out of fuel on high demand, are you running twin carbs if so will need to balance them firstly on mixtures then on linkages until they settle,, to do it correctly need a a exhaust gas analyzer to set needles on the carb,, off top of my head and its been a very long time since playing with SU carbs have 5 positions that can be set below in a good link for reference and explains better than i can write it for sure,
also the su carb must have oil put in the top plungers also the diaphragm can split cause all kinds of issues .
also below link worth a look for floats

1 - 6 of 6 Posts