MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a 1.8 sleeved Tritec engine that Thumper Performance built for me. Part of his "gang" includes a shop that produced 'Swamp Rat" engines for Don Garlits and another big time Dragster John Force had some technical input. Engine was built for 1.6 bars, a value I probably will not get near, but with my latest find I should be up around 1.4. I found a listing for a Lysholm 1200AX on FB. From the pictures it looked really good. Guy said he won it at a raffle when a local speed shop closed down. Lysholm was once owned by the same company that owned Whipple but they split around 2005 and then in 2009 Vortech bought them. Whipple made a very similar 1.2 liter unit that was sold as a kit for a PT Cruiser. I used PayPal for the purchase so that if it was a scam I could get my money back. Box arrived and upon opening the unit was more than I could have hoped for. Whipple and Lysholm engraved the serial and production number on the discharge deck and also used a black magic marker on the rotors. This unit still had the magic marker notations and the case is like new. It appears the unit sat on a shelf for more than 10 years.

I have done some preliminary measurements and also bought some material to fabricate brackets as well as an inlet tube. There is an older post here where guy says he used a 1200AX but that unit is an IHI charger from a Mercedes and is a 1.6 unit not a 1.2 that the 1200AX is. The Lysholm I have is about the same size as the TVS900, a 0,9 liter unit.

SAM_2241.JPG
SAM_2240.JPG
SAM_2239.JPG
SAM_2238.JPG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So it does fit without having to cut up the radiator shroud or move the radiator/shroud out farther from the engine. I used some brass plumbing fittings and rubber hose to connect up the vacuum lines and also make a dipstick tube as the Lysholm has a 48,000 km change interval and says to check the oil level every 8000 km, I used a thin steel plate to attach to the discharge deck that I then attached the OEM S discharge horn to. The engine oil dipstick tube had to be cut, some rubber heater hose added to extend it by about 10 mm and also to make the sharper bends involved. A Cravenspeed flexible dip stick is able to traverse the sharper bends and I measured the distance the Cravenspeed extended into the oil pan so I know what the proper fill line is. I had a local machine shop make me up a 15,5 mm spacer to place the pulley in the correct position. Last was finding a smaller idler pulley as I am using a 73 mm Whipple supercharger pulley, stock S is 65. I did find a flangeless 51 mm idler pulley and between the idler and the Whipple pulley a JCW belt works.

The Lysholm has a deeper whine with the Twin Screw design. A TVS900 has to spin a little over 4000 rpms faster to provide the same amount of air than I am getting with the 73 mm pulley and the Lysholm uses about 10 less horsepower making it. The supercharger does have what I call a "rotor catch" when cold but once warmed up its gone. For what I paid I will run it and then just have it rebuilt if the issue continues.

With the 73 mm pulley the unit is operating well within its parameters and the IAT discharge delta is about 16C if not using water/meth. I went with the 73 mm pulley as I was trying to keep the boost within the OEM ECU range limits and it does so with a little over 2200 mbar of pressure.

Did all the work in my garage with no special tools or measuring devices. Quite satisfied with the results.

101780
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top