MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
R53 cooper s
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a search but i couldn't quite find my answer. Im currently running focus st225 injectors but im considering 550cc because im worried about fueling issues whilst on the rollers, or what the limits the 380cc injectors will be. I believe the 380cc flow more like 400cc due to the mini fuel pressure? Current setup,

200 map
380cc st injectors
Decat exhaust manifold
18% pulley
Airtec topmount
Standard cam (469 or ew02 cam will be fitted)
Brisk cooler plugs
Dave F type airbox

1. Will my 380cc injectors be enough for my spec with the choosen cam but without the bigger 550cc injectors?

2. If i need the 550cc injectors can i fit these and drive sensibly to the mapper?

Thanks

· Registered
14 Posts
I have done a search but i couldn't quite find my answer. Im currently running focus st225 injectors but im considering 550cc because im worried about fueling issues whilst on the rollers, or what the limits the 380cc injectors will be. I believe the 380cc flow more like 400cc due to the mini fuel pressure? Current setup,

200 map
380cc st injectors
Decat exhaust manifold
18% pulley
Airtec topmount
Brisk cooler plugs
Dave F type airbox

1. Will my 380cc injectors be enough for my spec with the choosen cam but without the bigger 550cc injectors?

2. If i need the 550cc injectors can i fit these and drive sensibly to the mapper?

Thanks
Hi Juffer,

I wrote a few weeks ago more or less the same question and no one replied.

But I believe that with that set up, it's better to have the 550s in order to not maxed out the 380s.
Regarding to your second question, I'd install the bigger injectors at the mapper's garage and then map the ecu, I think that doing this, might avoid some problems. That's what I'm going to do once I have all the parts installed.

Cheers

· Registered
589 Posts
Its amazing that my standard injectors are running negative fuel trims yet successfully fueling my car with a 17% pulley, cam and customer map amongst other things, seems they can flow enough fuel if mapped appropriately

· Registered
R53 cooper s
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im not sure what power i would get from my setup to find out if the injectors would be capable of fueling. I have just used a injector size calculator 380cc at 90% duty cycle @ 3bar fuel pressure they would top out at 235hp at the crank. So not sure if i would be near this figure or not.

· Registered
14 Posts
I thought that the maximum fuel presure on a R53 was 3.5 bar. I´ve read somewhere on another post here that the 380s were at their 100% duty cycle at 3.5 bar, which obviously it´s not the best for them. Using the 550s with the set up that Juffer mentioned on the first post, should give him extra power in comparison with the 380s once is mapped? What do you think? Besides that if in the future, decides to upgrade the head, he already has them upgraded. I´m thinking as well that with the 550s and their higher flow rates should help with the temperatures, isn´t it?
Please let your comments, as I´m on a similar situation as well.

Cheers

· Registered
1,124 Posts
I have a Focus ST and those 380cc injectors can provide enough fuel in a 2.5 litre engine to get to over 300bhp. Fitted to a 1.6 litre Mini engine they can easily fuel to 230bhp. The standard 330cc injectors get my R53 to 217bhp.

Feel free to make your own mind up. I have.

· Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,693 Posts

200 map
380cc st injectors
Decat exhaust manifold
18% pulley
Airtec topmount
Brisk cooler plugs
Dave F type airbox

Thanks
I'd fit 550's if planning to use either of those cams with an 18 pulley, get the tuner to fit them, when I take customer cars to 1320 they usually fit them there whether I take them with me or buy them there, it's inexpensive really,

fwiw on my own car the stock 330's were at 87% IDC @5-5.5k iirc, 17, EW02, stock head, wasn't worth leaving them in

Hi Juffer,

I wrote a few weeks ago more or less the same question and no one replied.

But I believe that with that set up, it's better to have the 550s in order to not maxed out the 380s.
Regarding to your second question, I'd install the bigger injectors at the mapper's garage and then map the ecu, I think that doing this, might avoid some problems. That's what I'm going to do once I have all the parts installed.

Cheers
your spec I suspect could be borderline on 380's using less of a pulley drop and a less aggressive cam despite having the highest lift, I would still be inclined to swap them, if done at the dyno they'll perhaps see the duty cycle in the first couple of runs depending how it's being mapped of course

· Registered
14 Posts
I'd fit 550's if planning to use either of those cams with an 18 pulley, get the tuner to fit them, when I take customer cars to 1320 they usually fit them there whether I take them with me or buy them there, it's inexpensive really,

fwiw on my own car the stock 330's were at 87% IDC @5-5.5k iirc, 17, EW02, stock head, wasn't worth leaving them in

your spec I suspect could be borderline on 380's using less of a pulley drop and a less aggressive cam despite having the highest lift, I would still be inclined to swap them, if done at the dyno they'll perhaps see the duty cycle in the first couple of runs depending how it's being mapped of course
Hello CarsOrBikes,

so, you suggest that with my future set up, the 380s will be maxed out, isn´t it? I don´t understand what you mean with "using less of a pulley drop and a less aggressive cam despite having the highest lift ".

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts