MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a budget of about £5K I’m keen to get my first mini One or Cooper. I’m not overly concerned about performance but reliability is more important.
Any suggestions what to look / look out for? As a mini newbie - all information welcome! 😀

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,052 Posts
could get a decent car, what age?

don't put the whole budget into the purchase, that way you won't be too upset when you need to throw a bit on some corrective stuff....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could get a decent car, what age?

don't put the whole budget into the purchase, that way you won't be too upset when you need to throw a bit on some corrective stuff....
I had been looking at Mini One 2011 (60K miles ish) - it seems a more economical option?! I read I want to aim for one with an N18 engine - is that true?

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,052 Posts
No, N18 is Cooper S, you'll be either N12 or N16 on the later cars, unsure of date changes tbh

Reactions: Sim0n0 and mhulks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, N18 is Cooper S, you'll be either N12 or N16 on the later cars, unsure of date changes tbh
Is there generally seen to be a difference in reliability between the Cooper and the One? Are you best to try and buy one of a certain year and above? Sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
2011 R56 N18 Mini Cooper S - 2012 R56 N16 Mini One
84 Posts
The One and the Cooper both use the same engine. Just tuned differently for the cooper. ( I believe) <<-- noob disclaimer

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
not in reliability really, just lower power on a One, can't remember but the One either comes as a 1.4 and 1.6, or both with the 1.6 making a bit less, something like that, what I would consider though is the car likely to be bought and run cheap which could apply to a One more than a Cooper potentially, think student car etc. Maybe no maintenance budget, could have been neglected at some point. Only my view ;O)

there are loads of them out there, which means you can afford to walk away from 'any' that are leaking, smoky, fumy, or noisy, many can be neglected or just need stuff doing that owners avoid, some opting to sell rather than spend money, so imo do expect to see cars being sold for an undeclared reason,

I'd avoid showrooms that can't evidence what they did to the car in preparation for sale other than polishing, and if you do use a showroom, use one that does their own work, many don't and you'll get stuck in the middle of something when it has a problem to solve etc.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Look out for over priced low mileage cars with minimal maintenance and that have not had the usual age related jobs done.

·
Registered
189 Posts
£5k will get a nice low mileage 10year old One, and leave you decent money to do some jobs to make it your own. Or go Cooper for the extra money

1 - 10 of 10 Posts