MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If you’re already running 440 is there a specific need to change the injectors? I thought they were fine for the spec you are running?
That was the case and I was more than happy with the way it was until I got hold of the cam & decided to fully bite the bullet.

I wasn't really planning on doing it but when the cam came up at 1/2 price and I found the 550s cheaper than I expected, I had some overtime burning a hole in the bank I thought WTF!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I certainly haven't heard anything negative about their tunes in the mini community, and you know that shit spreads like wildfire. John from BigFish used to post regularly on here a couple of years back. He was very open to explaining what he did and how he did it. Somebody has to be the first........
I know it isn't any cast iron guarantee but I too have spoken to them, they sent me some of their resultant graphs for the r53 with lists of mods etc & testimonials, which I now can't find.

They seem to be very professional & seem to have correctly advised me about the injectors (they were happy that with what I had & the dyno graph I showed them that the 440s would be OK) and that I would need 550s if I went cam.

The upshot is that I have been made as happy as I can be as opposed to the belligerent replies I got from 1320.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Also a £50 off if booked in August, which I did, and a £50 off if booked for November on their website.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
I'm on day shift that week or I would've popped down to give you a bit of moral support
If you look up into the sky at the right time, you might catch a glimpse of Rodney making his way into orbit...

I'm sure it'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
LOL

I know it isn't any cast iron guarantee but I too have spoken to them, they sent me some of their resultant graphs for the r53 with lists of mods etc & testimonials, which I now can't find.

They seem to be very professional & seem to have correctly advised me about the injectors (they were happy that with what I had & the dyno graph I showed them that the 440s would be OK) and that I would need 550s if I went cam.

The upshot is that I have been made as happy as I can be as opposed to the belligerent replies I got from 1320.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Tried to reply last night but unfortunately the site was in read only mode.

OK, so I went yesterday & it was a day of mixed emotions!

I arrived & fitted the 550s in the car park.

I was impressed with the knowledge & experience of the guys at BFT.

The place itself isn't the most plush, but then it is a car tuning/mapping place after all.

After trying a generic map to start the ball rolling the mapping gadgie (Paul) decided that it would be better to go all in with a cracked ECU flash & then he started changing stuff in the maps.

We didn't see any more power over my previous dyno runs, but then as that was a different dyno that means nothing.

What he did achieve was a good map with consistent fuelling throughout the (new) rev range to 7264 rpm.

He was literally just about to finish when we developed a misfire on 3 due to the injector.

After removing the I/C & checking the injectors & adaptors it went fine again & then moved to 1, then 2 & 3 & then back to 1.

Each time was a strip to check & start again, and in the end we decided to call it a day & I then drove home on intermittent misfires knowing that I needed to sort it out.

This I did monday evening by cutting open the adaptors & wiring them straight to the original wiring loom.

I now have a TD to do on Saturday & will then make the decision over whether I need to go back to have everything finally checked out or to just do a final check myself with a power run ref AFRs to see if all is good for the final 500rpm.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Has the misfire definitely gone now then?

Not sure I'd be keen doing a trackday on a fresh map....

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well after doing the fix it started just fine but I didn't have the chance to take it out for a proper run for it to do some adaptations but will be doing so later today/tomorrow & will make my mind up then.

Don't see the issue with a TD on a new map, is there one?

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Depends how good the map is I guess.

If the injectors weren't functioning correctly during the mapping, they might not be dishing out the same amount of fuel now as they were on the dyno.

It'd be better to get them to check the map before ragging the tits off it on track... Something not being right at 4k rpm is better than something not being right as 7k rpm...

Might be just me being paranoid though. :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Sorry, I may not have put that right then.

Everything was 100% until he got to doing the last bit of fine tuning the fuelling on the last 500rpm ie. 6750 to 7250 he had done an initial set up of the full range, then went through the rev range again at 500 rpm intervals to do final tweaks when the misfire started.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Yeah, I got that, but...

If (for example) the injectors at 5krpm weren't quite working as they should and delivering less fuel than they would if working optimally.

The car was mapped at the lesser rate of fuel, you've now sorted that issue, so the injectors could be delivering more fuel than is mapped for. (Which I guess is better than not enough, but anyway....)

This could, again, I'm probably talking paranoid shit, be an exponential issue the further up the rev range you go.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
OK, I take your point although I too see it as unlikely.

FYI, my AFR shows good all through the rev range as I have just been out for a while & ran it all the way up the revs bit by bit, so I have asked the question of them & will see what they say.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts