MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

I've had my 2007 dealer fit JCW for about the last 4 years and about 12 months ago the engine (it's 2nd) had a catastrophic 'event' that meant it has sat in my warehouse for the last year whilst I gather my thoughts, parts and time.
Now i've got the engine out and a few choice parts in replacement, I'm just about to rebuild the engine (myself) and get this puppy back on the road
The car has done 127k, so I'm trying to do this properly now and re-fresh everything

Base car was a demo car with all the trimmings, heated everything, nav, roof, powerful mirrors, dimming doo-dahs, so worth keeping going.

I ended up buying an RCZ N14B16 engine, just to get a new block as mine was toast

Plans are
Rebuild the engine, as I've had to get a new block it needed 0.5mm larger pistons - found a rather cheap set of new Mahle pistons on a visit to USA, so started with these.
Had the block bored out by s friend of a friend who builds Porsche race engines -he also gapped the piston rings
New bearing shells, and valve stem seals as well as a new timing kit

I'm just about to start the rebuild and will post a few pictures (they won't be pretty)
I've also got an Airtec intercooler
N18 Borg-Warner JCW turbo
Evolve 200-cell cat
A few silicon pipes with all new clamps
Removed the noise-maker
New clutch
New water pump and pipes
'Refreshed injectors'
All new seals
A few choice power flex bushings

Engine will be back in the car (before the new year) and run-in before putting a manic-map on it in the new year

Hoping for 280bhp....and the need for an ~LSD

On the wish-list are a set of Ohlins and some light wheels.

J

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Car after it's last 'event'. The nice man at the AA had a bit of trouble getting on the ramps as he claimed it was 'a bit low'
LOL - it's on standard sport springs/dampers so I know you lot are going to begin with abuse about coil-overs and wheel-gap

The car as it is now - lots of cleaning required as it's a bit covered in oil-residue

Engine in bits about to be washed and re-built

The cause - too much 'fun'

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pity you didn’t get the rcz turbo with the engine mate, good luck with the rebuild
I got all sorts. HPFP, air con compressor, vacuum pump, even a new set of pistons and rings. All useless to me.

Bought a genuine twin scroll 2013 JCW turbo, so should be just as good.

J

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s only been 9 months....

Ready to go back in.
It’s a shame I’m on holiday on Saturday. Won’t get to plumb it all in until I get back.

J

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It’s been a hell of a few years. I left the company I’ve been running for 20 years to set up on my own. Hectic doesn’t come close.

The last few months I’ve had a few spare hours here and there... it is odd that I can only just remember how it all goes back together. Just..

It’s got a new orgasmic (organic) clutch, new bearings throughout, forged pistons (77.5mm), rebore and hone, 2013 fJCW turbo that’s been off to be refurbed and balanced, polished and ported head.

I’ve done most of the work and it’s been a steep learning curve. Had it all checked by a race engineer for Red Bull. He gave it the thumbs up so it should last about 6 hours.

Just got to remember where all the electrics go now...

Then off for a manic stage 2 map.

It’ll probably go bang soon after. Ho hum.

J

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
find some cams to help it a bit or have you?

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
IT LIVES.......

But it is throwing up a code for Super Knock
Just starting a new thread......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so after the ‘super knock’ issue the car has now completed 450 miles and just had the running in oil changed for some fully synthetic 5w-30.
I’ve been restricted to 3k revs but now starting to open her up a bit before my remap.

I’ve got to check the boost hoses as I have definitely got a leak somewhere.

Does anyone have the sizes of the clamps used on the Mini as I was looking to order some mikalor clamps to replace the OE 12 year old ones....

Cheers
Jason.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If it were me I wouldn't use Mikalor clamps, they are now cheap [email protected]

The circular bosses that actually put the tension on the strap are formed bits of stainless & don't pull evenly on the strap and can stick out of position breaking the strap.

I will have a look for pics of what I mean.

Look for that type of clamp that have solid bosses.

These are Mikalor, look at the bosses on the threaded bar as they put tension on the clamp.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIKALOR-W2-Stainless-Supra-Heavy-Duty-Exhaust-Pipe-Clip-Hydraulic-Hose-Clamp/271326260811?hash=item3f2c4e2e4b:m:m_9MZJyXp3KuvXH7oK3SnVw

Whereas these have solid bosses & don't suffer the same problem.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TBolt-Hose-Clamps-Heavy-Duty-Pipe-Clips-For-Silicone-Rubber-Pipework/223621209608?var=522355940626&hash=item3410dcde08:m:mjoQ3ynfIaShTEswVY3qpsA

1 - 16 of 16 Posts