MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i´ve been around here for some years but never got to open a topic.

Been a Mini lover since forever and had a red 04 plate back in 2014 that sold after had the first baby, regreted as f*#& but thats life. After that had a couple of cars and got around a swiss R53 just for track use in 2018, i will post some progress here but its far from being finished.

15007903_10154503956341259_1072799441_o.jpg
15007703_10154503956251259_1290875792_o.jpg

I have some friends with Mini and some are here and this year the opportunity appeared and got my new daily. Its a BRG 02 plate with 150k kms, SAT NAV, parking sensors and so on.

It was a lady car so its pretty neglected, a lot of scratches inside and so on.

The car makes a rattle in cold but it seems waterpump or SC, i have a Teflon one to put so no worries. The waterpump will be changed along with timing chain and a lot of others things.

IMG_3372.jpeg
IMG_3368.jpeg
IMG_3370.jpeg
IMG_3371.jpeg

I will start with some big maintenance, 17% pulley on the Teflon SC, DAVE F intake, plugs. Wanting Pro-Alloy TMIC and headers. Had OBX on the red one, where can we find them now?

Thinking in AP coilovers with SIlver Project top mounts, R56 brakes and some BBS style wheels.

Hope to be around some time.

Cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i bought some new wheels, mine are sold as many guys here love the S-Spoke.

I bought some Autec Wizard :)

Going to wrap them in some Toyo rubber.

My SC is dead so already got a Teflon one with 17% pulley. Ordered crank +2 and alternator 5 from KAVS.

Doing some maintenance service in the following weeks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
check your big end bearing shells perhaps, they will quite likely be worn.

fit a cam, it'll probably do more for you than the last few thousand rpm of the charger, or it will at least make the best of that charger speed.

Reactions: Vicente#R53

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an entire engine in pieces from my trackcar, maybe i will build that one and change to this car as the other is far from getting done.

For 260-280bhp would you do pistons? Never going to pass that numbers.

This engine feels strong, has no leaks or gases coming from the exhaust but i get the idea.

·
Premium Member
6,447 Posts
Stock bottom end will more than take the power. I'd refresh the rod bearings, piston rings and upgrade to ARP rod bolts though.

Make sure you don't get T1Rs. Terrible.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered Nankang NS2R 180 treadwear, actually was thinking on the new ones TR1 but not that good reviews so went the other way.

I have an engine in parts, maybe i will use that one to replace bearings and rings along with all the gaskets etc. And in that time do the head and fit the cam ??

R53 is just that car "just more this part" hahah

Some photos of the track build
IMG_1981.JPG
IMG_0887.jpg
5e611878-53fc-4925-a5c8-291799cd36d2.jpg
9B826934-6290-44E8-93C7-ACE3C947A135.jpg
279A3D7A-D01F-47AB-8AC4-2BB1251991C1.jpg
IMG_1976.JPG
IMG_1979.JPG
IMG_1981.JPG
IMG_0889 (1).jpg
IMG_0888.jpg
IMG_0886.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
I haven't myself yet but I bought them to do, it depends on the application really, it's not so much that stock parts wouldn't cope, but they might not, and strengthening a more powerful engine is never a bad idea. If you're going to be at high rpm constantly while making that sort of power they're definitely a worthwhile consideration.

the shells wear quite heavily and can need changing from 50k, this is one from a car I just changed them on with 75k, you are going to need these I suspect, and quite likely mains could have some wear, and both affect oil pressure and obviously crank wear so for the low cost of even standard shells they're definitely worth doing. Even if the crank has some wear marks that will shorten the life of new ones you'd still be making an important improvement.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't myself yet but I bought them to do, it depends on the application really, it's not so much that stock parts wouldn't cope, but they might not, and strengthening a more powerful engine is never a bad idea. If you're going to be at high rpm constantly while making that sort of power they're definitely a worthwhile consideration.

the shells wear quite heavily and can need changing from 50k, this is one from a car I just changed them on with 75k, you are going to need these I suspect, and quite likely mains could have some wear, and both affect oil pressure and obviously crank wear so for the low cost of even standard shells they're definitely worth doing. Even if the crank has some wear marks that will shorten the life of new ones you'd still be making an important improvement.
View attachment 98193
See the ones that were in my track car engine with 226k kms

CBCB0D06-A773-46ED-A051-194A94E7B371.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
I think they've had it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hahaha The hand....

Really like the TD but i think this are more suitable for a daily!

Just waiting on the tyres to mount them on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So parts are arriving in bits...

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-06 at 16.15.20.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-12-10 at 10.16.19.jpeg

Just ordered ARP rod bolts. Can someone help me on choosing the big end bearings? Brand and size? We are changing them by the sump.

Cheers

·
Registered
684 Posts
So parts are arriving in bits...

View attachment 98303 View attachment 98304

Just ordered ARP rod bolts. Can someone help me on choosing the big end bearings? Brand and size? We are changing them by the sump.

Cheers
I just changed my big end bearings and went for standard King bearings in standard size. If you’re planning on constantly tracking it then go for the race ones otherwise standard ones will be fine for the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts