MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a little thread on my car and it's mods as I go. I bought it standard with not many intentions of doing much, ha says everyone!!
Here's me picking it up 馃お

Mods list, which I'll edit as I add things;

Exterior:
Green mirror covers
De-chromed, door handles, belt line, rear light surrounds and front grill surrounds
Bee Sting Ariel (SMPS)
Smoked sweeping side repeater (SMPS)
Stud conversion (Orranje)
R112 infinite stream wheels Avon tyres
TRS Tow straps for Track days (badboytuning)

Interior:
Rear MiniWorks strut brace
Cravenspeed phone holder
Green steering wheel mini badge

Engine Bay:
OMP strut brace with custom nuts
Samco green turbo hoses with resonator delete
Forge Motorsport intake pipe
ITG panel filter
NGK Iridium spark plugs

Brakes and Suspension:
EBC drilled and grooved mintex M1144 pads
Goodridge Braided hoses
Whiteline adjustable rear roll bar + bushes

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
First thing was to tidy up exhaust that looked like it had never been washed. This was hard work and then had to polish it up after....

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Before looking at any engine modifications and just to make sure the ol gal was running ok I took her to Lohen for a health check and Dyno run and was pleased to say all was good 馃憣馃徏

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thought I would freshen up the engine bay with some Samco hosing.... Unfortunately they don't make an intake pipe which was a shame.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Fitting them was fairly straight forward but just a bit fiddly and awkward in places.

To do the top hoses I removed the air intake hose, air filter and box which meant I could get to the clips and hoses much easier.
I did have to cut the edge of the last hose with a Stanley blade to get it off. Then just refit

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
One point of note though, the next hose to attach is the one with metal insert and it needs an O ring on it that doesn't come with the Samco ones you need to use the old one or otherwise a new one. See the pics below

Registered
Discussion Starter #12

I'll talk through the strut brace in a bit....it wasn't the kind of fit I expected and did some mods for the nuts too fit it down!!

Anyone else have an OMP Strut brace?

Registered
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So the strut brace, OMP, ordered from Lohen, same one they use on their demo car. I fitted both top plates first and checked for alignment which was fine, then attached the cross bar, which was tight on the angle front to back, something is not experienced in previous cars, but it was fine, having adjusted the length so it was equal but not fully tight, I then fitted the top mount nuts and because the plate is quite thick I was only getting half of the nut thread through.

I contacted Lohen and they said as long as it's torqued down it'll be fine, even so, if you see the picture I wasn't keen. I have seen on the M3 that they have a nut design that goes through the plate so as to take the tension down the full available thread. so I contacted my mate with a milling machine to make up some as I couldn't find them for the Mini.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
And this is what we ended up with.

So now I feel happier as I get the full thread through.

Drilled the plates slightly to centre the hole and to accept the nut through.

I have also fitted some plastic caps to prevent water ingress

Premium Member
hard to accept Lohen's rather poor advice there, how can anyone expect a torque value to be reliable with only half the threads engaged,

Reactions: Rusco_9

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I'm glad it wasn't just me that thought that then, I don't normally disagree with them, but this time I wasn't sure I was comfortable with that so much happier now I've managed to make something that would take the full thread!

Premium Member
I put a cheapo strut brace on (already had tower defenders on) and had your same issue. I took the brace back off, would rather have the bolt and nut relationship as its meant to be than the engine bay bling.
I dont know enough about the R56 but on the 53 the strut brace doesnt stiffen it up but a lower brace does.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
I can understand that, it makes sense and I'd have done the same I reckon.
I don't know fully myself if the R56 behaves differently, for me the OMP is adjustable so I did tighten out any flex that I could and to me it did feel better, but then you never know if it is a bit of a placebo effect.
I do like a good brace though so maybe a lower brace too for good measure 馃榿

Premium Member
I think most coilover bolts are longer should you go down that route.

Placebo or not - if you feel it you feel it (y)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts