MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Morning all,

My names Tom and I picked up a 2007 MCS just after Christmas. It had/has a bunch of issues, but it was cheap, so seemed like a good idea at the time :D.

The car needed an MOT, so I took it in to get a basic idea of what was needed and it failed on various bits including emissions... Turns out the head was warped, pressurising the coolant and throwing off emissions. It also needed a rear wheel bearing, gear linkage kept popping off, CV boot split and various other small bits like stuck handbrake mech on the calipers, bonnet catches stuck with grime etc.

Not sure what the long term plans are for the car... It's pretty rare I leave a car alone, they usually get fairly modded in the end, time will tell!

So I got stuck into pulling it apart.. While the head was off getting skimmed I took the opportunity to swap out the timing chain, water pump, aux belt, a bunch of gaskets and seals (Injector seals, all head related seals, oil filter housing to block seals, oil cooler seals, crank oil seal, turbo oil feed line, re-seal the sump etc etc) so fingers crossed I should have a nice leak-free N14 :unsure::D. Had a little trouble on the first start after all the work.... Turns out it really helps if you plug in the fuel pressure sensor :cautious:... After that, it now runs great!

Anyway, here she is... She's quite a nice spec with heated seats, cruise, heated front window, twin panoramic sunroof's, climate control, xenons, colour changing interior lights, auto-dimming mirrors, auto wipers and lights etc. I need to punch the VIN into a decoder to see what else it was optioned with!

Head back from the shop, nice and straight!

Forgot to take pictures after that point! But she's all back together and going in for the re-test tonight, fingers crossed this time with a better end result :D.

Left on the "To-fix" list is:

Remove selector assy from box and see why gearstick doesn't centre.
Fit new resistor to fix low fan speed fault.
Diagnose AC leak (Bound to be the condenser) and replace the damaged AC pipe.

Her stablemates are a 2002 FD and 2004 V10 TDI Phaeton 4 seater.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome to MT. You're a braver man than me, pulling the head off a second gen. Hope all goes well
Cheers! It all ended well, passed it's mot last night, so just got a few little bits to sort and she'll be good. It does seem to be a bit hesitant when you touch the throttle to pull away.. It's always done this in my ownership.. I'll have to check over the ignition components. The plugs did look ok, but I didn't check them over properly. I'd guess the coils are original from looking at the history. Throughout the rest of the rev range she runs spot on. It's just that first touch when you pull away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to update this, fitted new gear selection cables, adjusted the exhaust as it was rubbing the tunnel brace occasionally and fitted a better replacement low fan speed resistor I got from RSonline as the oem one had burnt out. The hesitation has gone after putting some miles on the car. It's running spot on now and sits at 106 degrees no matter how you drive it! Got her up on stands to give it all a check over this weekend and all looks good and leak-free!
I'm going to change the oil in the box this week as I doubt it has been done before due to the whole "Sealed for life" bollocks, so I'll get that done.

It really is a fun little car though, I'm enjoying running it around :D.

Treated it to a clean now that it's working well. I need to work out what colour the wheels are so I can order a touch-up.. By the condition, I'd assume they're a standard colour? Are there paint code lists for these anywhere?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I quite like the chrome, must be getting old! :p. When I can work out what the anthracite wheel colour is I'll give them a lick of paint. Other than that it'll probably be just driven for the next few months. Got to rebuild the V10 in the Phaeton next! When that's done I'll look at a few upgrades for the mini!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I quite like the chrome, must be getting old! :p. When I can work out what the anthracite wheel colour is I'll give them a lick of paint. Other than that it'll probably be just driven for the next few months. Got to rebuild the V10 in the Phaeton next! When that's done I'll look at a few upgrades for the mini!
I like chrome too. The designers put it there for a reason. That said if anyone wants to change their chrome to another colour (not just black) then that's their choice. There are a lot of cars the look good with black.

There's no right or wrong, just differing opinions. Something that some people struggle to accept or tolerate at times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the hesitation issue came back. Only for the first minute of running and only when it's cold out and it was really cold this morning! High pressure pump has had it. I've ordered a replacement so will swap that out. Hopefully that's it done now :D.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts