MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Recently puchased a 2006 R53. Really enjoying it so far.

The car appears to have been well cared for over the years and had some big jobs done in the past (new clutch a few months ago). It is currently on 86k miles.

One minor issue I have noticed is a very minor ticking on hot start that lasts for between 10 and 20 seconds and then gradually fades out. There is no noise on cold start (starts and runs well with no noises). But if the car is hot and then I leave it to sit for 10 to 20 minutes and re-start it, this very subtle ticking appears. Doesn't particually sound like a timing chain rattle, more of a very minor ticking or almost vibrating sound.

Any ideas about what this might be? I am tempted to throw a new tensioner in there for cheap insurance, but it doesn't have what appears to be the more typical cold start noise, only on hot start. BTW it had a new tensioner about 7 years ago, so not original but might well be due a change. I did an oil change 2 weeks ago.

Thanks

Lewis

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,637 Posts
chain related is typically a rattle, not a tick,

has the noise only started since the oil change?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Noise comes from the top of the engine, although difficult to tell where from exactly. If you pushed me, I would say top left (i.e. top of timing chain area, perhaps more to the rear of the block/head) but its not immediately obvious from that side. It may well just be timing chain noises, but it is just odd that it does it on hot start rather than cold start.

No, I noticed the noise before I did the oil change. Changing the oil made no difference one way or the other.

I will see if I can get a video clip of it tomorrow (I will do a cold start and a hot start).

Thanks again

Lewis

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Is it the fuel vapour valve you're hearing? They make a ticking sound.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Ooo - just found a video on youtube of a fuel breather valve ticking and that could well be it! This was the video - only one I found with a quick google, but sounds quite similar. I thought the sound was coming from more the rear of block, but could well be from the front left side and I was mis-hearing.

I will have a close look and listern tomorrow and see if thats it.

If it turns out to the source of the noise, the next question is... is that a problem/indicative of a problem somewhere else, or just one of those things that happens?

Thanks

Lewis

Edited to add - your video added after I replyed - yes as above that sounds very much like the ticking noise I was hearing. Will look tomorrow morning - cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Right - managed to grab a video of it doing it earlier. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be the fuel vapour valve thing, it is coming from the top left of the rocker cover.

Again, it doesn't do it from stone cold, no noises at all when cold. It only appears to happen if I have driven the car and it has got fully hot, then I stop the engine and let it sit for 10 to 20 minutes and then re-start it again. It doesn't do it if I stop and restart the engine within a few minutes, and if I leave it more than about an hour or two it also doesn't do it.

Listening to it back on the video, it does sound more like a rattle than a tick, It also sounds a bit louder in the video than in real life.

I guess it is just chain noise and probably time for a new tensioner (as the starting point), but it is just odd that it is a hot start issue, when all other comments about timing chain noise I have seen or read talk about it being noisey from cold.

Thanks

Lewis

EDITED to add - I have just ordered a chain tensioner and will swap it over on Monday when it arrives just in case - its cheap and appears easy so why not!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yeah sounds quite harsh in the video - more so than in real life I think. For interest, here is a video I just took of me cold starting it - it has been sat since around 3pm (when the first vid was taken, so around 4 1/2 hours ago). So this is basically a cold start and it purrs pretty sweetly for a 16 year old engine. No rattles or other odd noises.

If anyone else has any thoughts, I would be grateful. I am going to chuck a new tensioner in it on monday just to rule that out. If it still does it after, I will have to dig deeper.

Edited to add, there is slight noise which is the AC pump mag clutch - AC is off at the moment, with it on that slight jangling noise goes away (I think that is not uncommon for AC mag clutches).

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,637 Posts
fwiw I don't think it's a tensioner noise

·
Premium Member
6,637 Posts
it needs running with the belt off in the temp range you believe the sound is most prevalent

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Quick update, the chain tensioner arrived today (was due tomorrow but got here early) so I changed it this afternoon. So far so good. I have tried to make it make the noise (a decent drive then let it sit for 30 mins) and no noise. Now, it didn't always do it on hot start, so too early to say but will keep you posted. Not sure what old worn tensioners look like, but mine had a few shiney bits on it (where it had clearly been rubbing slightly) and felt a bit rough/crunchy when compressing it, so that might be it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just a quick update - Not driven the car too much this week, but so far, I have not heard the noise again. For the time being my conclusion is that it was occasional chain noise on hot start. Seems like an odd set of circumstances for chain noise, but it appears to be sorted for the time being. I will keep my ears open just in case.

Edited to add, my intention is to do a supercharger service, track down some oil leaks (it has recently had a new sump gasket, but it still has a leak or two) and put a new chain kit on it at some point before it hits 100k miles - given it is now on its third tensioner, its probably time for a new chain and guides soon(ish). Interestingly, looking closely at the charger it looks like it might have had some work done to it in the past (the 'front' nose of the charger is shiney and newer looking than the rest of it).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts