MiniTorque.com banner

141 - 160 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
So many many thanks to RT2002MCS on here I now have a Helix short shifter to fit on the car. Plan to have it done early July when it goes in for servicing....going to get the gear linkages checked over as well see if we can get rid of some of the play in it (y)

Ironically the money I got back from the smart repairers is exactly the amount within a pound or so of the cost of the VT engine mount.....funny old world 🤣

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Nice, look forward to seeing how you find it.

That would be fate steering you further down the rabbit hole!
Cheers m8, if it shortens the shift enough and makes it a bit more positive I'll be very happy.

TBH I do wonder whether my engine mounts been on it's way out for a while and I hadnt noticed as I have had my back box move off centre a little (had been fine for nearly a year) and also whether it might be contributing to the poorer gearshift....its improved since sorting the leaky brake reservoir out but suspect it's not helping.

Will give feedback once its installed....and yes I'm finding I'm spending more and more time looking for the next thing to do which only pisses the wife off 😂 (y)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Yeah they have a good rep. Youll get an increase in NVH but it really suits the MINI.
Thanks m8, take it they are rubber right so does away with the whole daft oil thing?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Yeah, its a simple design. I think you pay a chunk because its shiny and branded but I get that and would have happily fiited one to mine had they been cheaper. I have seen a failed one but only one.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Obligatory photo post tyre pressure check @ Sainsburys........f me it needs a clean too 🤣

20200616_210138.jpg

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #150 (Edited)
.....so you may have seen I'd posted about the car feeling a bit flat......think I may have sussed what's going on.

When I had the SC serviced and the pulley changed for a 15%, I bought the recommended 6PK1368 belt for it. Turns out (thanks to the advice of others on here...many thanks once more guys) that the belt is likely too long and so not taut enough (no hole showing on the tensioner arm) causing enough belt slip to hurt boost but seemingly not enough to throw an engine light as its generating quite a bit of boost, just not all of it. To add to matters I think at very least the damper on my belt tensioner is past it's best as the tensioner arm wobbles about a fair when the car is running at idle which I'm guessing it shouldn't be doing and have probably suffered some belt slippage from the day I've had the car with it now driving more like it should have done stock (as its producing there or thereabouts just over stock boost, whereas I suspect it was a bit low beforehand).

What was odd was the car initially felt very urgent, certainly for the first few drives.....I can only assume things have settled and the slippage has started once more.

To be sure that its sorted have ordered a new tensioner and a Contitech 6PK1360 belt which I'll have fitted when it goes for its service. The full tensioner replacement is probably overkill but as the existing one looks every bit of its 14 years (and it was only 51 quid delivered) I figured it might as well be changed. Possible it might also have a slight boost/vacuum leak as well but pretty sure this is the main issue.

What with the engine mount what was planned to be a simple oil and pollen filter change is turning into another fairly big expensive job 🤣

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
......so trying to figure out if fitting a facelift/R56 auto dim rear view mirror is pretty much a plug and play thing or not.

Not something I'd ever lose sleep over but if it's as simple as removing the manual mirror and connecting up the auto dim one in its place for the money might be something I'd do as it's about the only thing the car doesnt have that I miss.

From what I've read it's pretty plug and play on facelift cars.....what I am not sure about is whether the existing wiring harness for the remote locking sensor is what provides the connectivity for it (I.e. literally just plug and play) or if there is additional wiring in the headlining that would control it (I.e. its pre wired)? I did take the mirror off, the light and airbag deactivation light panel out and dropped the front part of the lining by the mirror and had a good feel around but doesn't seem to be any additional wiring there.

If anyone knows be greatly appreciated.....if it's going to involve the running of wiring etc I'll simply just forget it.....wasnt all in vain anyway as my mirror base wasnt fitted very well (or straight!) So is now on as well as it can be.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Can you run some wires up to the mirror if there are none already? What do you need? Power, earth and lights on signal?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
I dunno.....I've found a few bits of info here and there to suggest on a facelift car it's more or less plug and play.....either because the existing wiring does the job or that the wiring harness for it is already there (so pre wired for it). Think this is mainly down to the facelift car having the remote locking receiver installed in the mirror (so there is wiring to that location regardless of spec), whereas pre fl cars have a module down in one of the footwells.

I dont know how true any of this is however...really just trying my luck and seeing if I can get the verbatim off of someone who has been through the process already. My understanding however is that it's a pretty easy thing to sort on a pre fl car as you can simply run the power from the clock. On a factory fit car it also has a tap into the reverse lighting circuit to disable the mirror dimming when the cars put in reverse but otherwise its active day and night.

If it needs wiring I just wont bother as it's very much a nice to have and that's it....if it is plug and play be a bit miffed off as with hindsight I could have whipped the mirror off my old Cooper (as that had the Visibility pack).

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Well I've just bought one....guess we'll see wont we?!

·
Registered
102 Posts
facelift car having the remote locking receiver installed in the mirror.. Would that mean the receiver will only lock/unlock the car with the signal from the keyfob for that car only? or is it just a receiver..? dunno.. but do let us know what happens

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
I think its just a receiver.....whilst the mirrors are the same in the facelift R50/R53's to the R56 have a feeling the remote locking innards might be different. Worst case might have to relearn the keys to the car. The mirror I've bought is apparently from an R50 or R53 so am planning on it just working or keys needing relearning..assuming the pinouts on the dimming mirror are right.

What I'm banking on somewhat is that the wiring is the same between the mirrors (same pinouts) and that the stuff for the auto dimming just sits on that circuit (I.e. shares the locking sensor wiring for its power and earth). It wasnt expensive so figured it was worth a try....no loss if it doesnt work, if it does be a result. V worst case will have a dimming mirror someone is welcome to buy from me 😂 (y)

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
I believe it is just a receiver,

iirc fl cars have the same main body harness so pnp is likely, maybe with a recode

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Agreed....been reading alot of related posts on NAM where people have installed dimming mirrors with home link (garage door/gate openers) and all seemingly plug and play on a facelift car.

We'll see but its looking 99% likely that the mirror just takes the live and ground from the connector as it does with the stock mirror and feeds the auto dim and remote locking circuitry in the same way. I think the key thing is that you get a mirror from a facelift R50/R53 as I have a suspicion the remote locking sensor hardware is different in R56 mirrors.....but it's still possible to swap the circuit board over from the old mirror just have to take the mirrors apart to do so.

Not sure how well it'll work in reality as I have factory sun protection glass but fingers crossed (y)(y)

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
I have the vis pack with factory sp glass, best options imo, and chrono, took long enough to find, it'll work.

Reactions: pipsyp

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Well the mirror I ordered got cancelled as seems as though it was for the convertible and not the hatch.

I've ended up getting an R56 one, so expect I will need to pull it open to swap the locking module out but should make the process a bit more fun (y)

141 - 160 of 279 Posts