MiniTorque.com banner

81 - 100 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Well the cars running again, thankfully was just the cap. Started it up and left it running until well warmed up...initially with heater on (blowing red hot) and then without. No fans, nothing so could only have been a pressure issue.

Interestingly whilst incredibly similar, goes to show OE equivalent doesnt always meet OE spec. I put the caps side by side and to look at...basically identical...however turn to the inner workings....the pressure valve looks slightly different, the seal looks maybe thicker and of better quality on the genuine part....also interestingly the genuine part weighs 4g more than the original one. Very much a similar thing with the Febi cap I bought for my R50.

Sadly with some good news comes bad.....the sodding rust bubbles I had repaired earlier in the week have started poking through again....can only think they perhaps didn't take it back enough to rid of the rust particles last time. These things happen and they seem to think they can address so theres hoping so got that being looked at again next Thurs.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Took the car for a nice drive earlier and all is now fine, the new cap definitely has sorted.

However I am convinced my 1st stage fan has failed. I thought it was working but it's actually my PS pump fan cutting in, when I switch my AC on the fan pulses as it should but it's pretty loud so reckon it must be using the 2nd speed on the basis the 1st is broken.

Is going in for an oil and filter change early next month so hopefully can get it all sorted out then.

God these bloody things are a labour of love.....🤣

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,629 Posts
Think about adoption of a child of the same age and your about right ...

Meanwhile I had the baby from birth and so never really felt anything more than growing pains, despite Covering far more miles with more awesome HP than most here On MT will ever experience.

I also feel over that time I paid the equivalent for it to go to a public school ... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Think about adoption of a child of the same age and your about right ...

Meanwhile I had the baby from birth and so never really felt anything more than growing pains, despite Covering far more miles with more awesome HP than most here On MT will ever experience.

I also feel over that time I paid the equivalent for it to go to a public school ... :ROFLMAO:
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
...so planning early July to get it an oil service but whilst in also get the coil pack swapped out with one that isnt missing the cyl 3 point, fit an optimised bypass valve (I think mine is probably getting past its best) and some new snoot boots (noticed mine are perishing) and get the fan issue sorted (y)

Bloody pleased however the new cap has worked so I can at least enjoy it once more!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Genuine oil service kit and oil ordered up (went Motul 8100 X-Clean in the end....cheapest decent 5w40 I could find on the bay).

Noticed as well that my brake fluid reservoir cap is weeping.....must just be down to age. The diaphragm inside has a split in it. Bugger me can I find a replacement anywhere....not even Mini UK parts have it available online. Have had to ask my mate if he can source me one from a main dealers.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
However I am convinced my 1st stage fan has failed. I thought it was working but it's actually my PS pump fan cutting in, when I switch my AC on the fan pulses as it should but it's pretty loud so reckon it must be using the 2nd speed on the basis the 1st is broken.
That's definitely your 2nd stage fan.
With aircon on, the 1st stage should be on constant. With the broken resistor, the 2nd stage will pulse.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
That's definitely your 2nd stage fan.
With aircon on, the 1st stage should be on constant. With the broken resistor, the 2nd stage will pulse.
Cheers mate was sure it was knackered. My R50 had exactly the same issue, be getting it sorted early next month when it's in for an oil change etc (y)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
So been a bit of a mixed day.......

Smart repairer agreed to take another look at my car, and whilst it was all organised for Friday afternoon by good fortune the technician was able to come this afternoon instead.

Unfortunately they said it was not worth attempting to fix the rear light cluster again.....was inclined to agree with him as logically the rust is probably affecting the bodywork from inside out so if he did sand and repaint it again, it was bound to occur again. He did however resolve some finish issues I'd found on the wheels.....most others probably would have lived with them but given I'm not most others 🤣 so got then done anyway.

Am a bit on the fence with it to be honest......whilst I know they only do smart repairs and it's not quite the same as taking a car to a bodyshop...I was however very straight up with them from the offset about it involving minor rust and they confirmed they could sort....even it meant sanding and bondo-ing the car to get it sorted. Sadly it doesnt seem as though rust repairs is something they generally do. I have asked if they can provide me some form of compensation on the basis I've paid for something they haven't really fixed as promised but not that confident I'll get a response. That said I'm not upset or particularly disappointed with the outfit, they've been very good about everything but I do think somethings been lost in translation and they probably should have been clearer about their stance on rust and the art of the possible from their smart repair perspective......but hey ho such is life and for the money am very very happy with the wheels now.

I did afterwards take the opportunity to pull the lamp cluster and have a better look at what was going on and I have two suspicions.....

Firstly the water is getting stuck in the recess when it rains and has caused the area where the panels join to begin rusting. Also I suspect the seal on the back of the lamp isnt as good as it was when it was new, so when we have a particularly heavy deluge it may be that the seal is getting wet and allowing some moisture into the rear quarter of the car. It cant be bad if it is as my boot is never getting wet but it could be sufficient to be causing the inside-out rust I seem to be experiencing.

I decided in the end to apply some Hammerite Kurust to the areas I could see/suspect rust might be trying to form, in the rear 3/4 cavity and also on the seam under the light fitting that was bubbling. I then liberally painted the seam area with Hyper blue touch up paint. At the same time I used a cutting compound to flatten off the very minor bubbling that had appeared, to the point it could hardly be seen then lightly touched up some of the areas where it had marred the paint. Once dry I applied some clear lacquer to those small spots to protect the touch up.

Finishing it off I used some white lithium spray grease to fill the seam beneath the lamp fitting, tidying it into a thin bead just on the seam. I also sprayed inside the rear 3/4 cavity on all the areas I figured I wanted to protect from any potential moisture ingress.

I also peeled the seal off the base of the light fitting and re-glued it to the lamp in order to bring the seal closer (and so tighter) to the bodywork once the lamp was put back in situ...or so the theory goes.

Kind of hoping what I've done best case stops or at least significantly slows whatever is going on in there.....longer term I might need to get it to a bodyshop but for now I think were all good. Looks fine now and youd only notice the light touching up if you looked at it really closely.....I'm hoping once the lacquer cures and its polished it will look even better. Took a couple of hours to do, but it was a worthwhile task...particularly if it keeps that corner looking sweet for the foreseeable.

Regardless my rear lamps are starting to become brittle (I did notice the lamp developed a small split in the lens whilst I was trying to "encourage" it back in place...more like the start of crazing) so I plan to replace them with new, correct OE Valeo units in time.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
It's a shame there aren't any of the pre-facelift to facelift rear light conversion kits left. They were a total bargain
...think they are about 70-odd a lamp at current prices :sick:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
The kits were about fifty quid for both, a dog light and the adapter harness. No wonder everyone rinsed the dealerships lol
Sad times pal, would be loving all three replaced for 50 notes :cry:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
....so now the rust paranoia has well and truly set in I decided following what I did with the passenger side rear lamp that I would do the same with the drivers side. I also took an opportunity to remove the tailgate inner cover and check out what was going on under there.....

I popped the lamp out and must say this side didn't seem too bad. There seemed to be some very minor paint bubbling at the seam but further investigation just made me realise it was mostly just not very good paint finish over masses of seam sealer.

I applied some Kurust anyway, painted over the seam then added some lithium grease to the seam to protect it moving forward. I also sprayed the inner cavity with grease to protect it from inside.

Inside the tailgate not much has changed since I changed out the tailgate handle gasket...figure since I've stopped the moisture that was getting in the boot by fixing the belt line trim and replacing the gasket its stayed bone dry which is reassuring. As a precaution I sprayed a small amount of lithium grease around the number plate light holes and also around the pin holes I could access where the belt line trim attaches to the car.

I also had a look under my door seals which I greased up some months ago and thankfully no change. I added Kurust to the small surface rust areas that were there (only on the drivers side) and added a bit more grease for good measure.

Happy I've done pretty much all I can to prevent the rust.....some pics just because.....also some close ups of both clusters once done (y)

20200609_195431.jpg
20200609_195436.jpg
20200609_195441.jpg
20200609_195554.jpg
20200609_203219.jpg
20200609_203229.jpg

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
......and god the dead spiders in the lights piss me off 🤣

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
....genuine oil service kit turned up today.

Managed to get it (so genuine oil filter and seal, sump plug and pollen microfilter) for just under 36 quid delivered via 360 wheels on eBay, good value I think.

Oil ordered but yet to turn up....will be ordering a modified bypass valve and Pro Hoses IC snoot boots from 1320 as soon as I get paid again.

Big Jim is sorting out a used coil pack and leads for me so all being well will be able to get my slightly knackered one swapped out soon.....might even just get that done myself.

Also some happy news....smart repairer agreed to refund me for the failed rear quarter repair so that's eased some of the financial pain. The wheels look outstanding now too so am glad I went with them, despite the crossed wires over the rust repair 👍

·
Registered
82 Posts
Made some great changes to your car, the plastidip over spray made me laugh though, sorry! Caps look far better in white than chrome.

Like the gaitors you used on the interior, look really smart.

I've got some bugs in my facelift rear lights too, replaced them as they were cloudy, managed to get some really good condition ones in the end but took a couple of attempts as even though pictures look good they can still look cloudy/dull in person, the trade off was bugs in side. Although i'm going to attempt to block the bulb holes and hoover them out at somepoint. Probably best just buying new as you intend to.

Great news on the refund for the smart repair. Finger crossed on the preventative measures you have taken on the rust, very thorough.

What colour snoot boots are you going for?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)
Made some great changes to your car, the plastidip over spray made me laugh though, sorry! Caps look far better in white than chrome.

Like the gaitors you used on the interior, look really smart.

I've got some bugs in my facelift rear lights too, replaced them as they were cloudy, managed to get some really good condition ones in the end but took a couple of attempts as even though pictures look good they can still look cloudy/dull in person, the trade off was bugs in side. Although i'm going to attempt to block the bulb holes and hoover them out at somepoint. Probably best just buying new as you intend to.

Great news on the refund for the smart repair. Finger crossed on the preventative measures you have taken on the rust, very thorough.

What colour snoot boots are you going for?
Haha cheers mate appreciate it, I'm great at waffling so can be guaranteed of alot of that on my thread....hopefully keeping some entertained during lockdown....or bored one or the other 🤣

Yeah the plastidip was hillarious to look back on, properly fucked that up but all a learning experience.....that I'll never touch the bleedin stuff again (y) 😂 😂 😂 😂

Thanks on the gaitors as well, far better than I expected them to be for the money v happy

Yeah the lamps are really annoying on these, just a shite design I I figure....seems after time the heat from the reversing lamps buggers the plastic up and they begin crazing mostly around that area...I suppose they are 14 years old now though so I shouldn't moan too hard I guess. How they hold water in the seam when it rains is the most annoying thing..why they couldn't just put some drain holes in or something is beyond me.

Bloody thing is doing my box at the moment...noticed it's been running rough on start up...missus uses it briefly and low and behold comes home with the engine light on (which shes not even noticed)......a P1242 code stored on it which I gather is most likely to be a MAP or vacuum pipe issue......it was in bits for an SC overhaul not too long back so wouldn't be surprised if one of the vacuum pipes has worked loose or the connector is broken...easily done I gather. Going in for a service soon so hopefully get it all addressed then along with the knackered 1st speed cooling fan.

Pleased about the smart repair....not had the money back yet but sure it wont be an issue. Hoping my efforts since will hold up...guess we will see 😂

As to the snoot boots, haven't quite decided....going to get Pro Hoses ones from 1320 as they arent badly priced and the OE ones are just ridiculous...hopefully work OK with a stock IC. Was just gonna go black but might go blue as a splash of colour......

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
I'd just stick with OEM boots but that's me. Nobody ever has an issue with them, they last well, make I/C removal easy, easier on the clamps, just a genuine 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' part.

81 - 100 of 250 Posts