MiniTorque.com banner

61 - 80 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Well I spend the day treating the Mini to some love and how does it repay me......I go for a drive, get home, leave it running on the driveway for a bit to then hear a strange hissing noise from under the bonnet.....quickly pop the bonnet to see the thing boiling over from the expansion tank.

Typically no lights on the dash and the "weighted" temp needle didn't move from the middle :LOL: turned it off immediately though.

It would appear that the pressure in the system caused the cap to actually partly pop off the threads on the expansion tank which I thought was unusual but upon further inspection I found the blue seal on the cap had a bit hanging off it.

I refilled the coolant and went to put the cap back on tight (figuring maybe I didn't tighten it sufficiently when I last checked the coolant) to find it eventually just popped off the threads on the bottle. I'm figuring it's the lid that's at fault so have just ordered a genuine one from Mini Park Lane....the expansion tank isn't that old so hopefully it's not the threads on that. Fingers crossed but will mean the Minis now off the road for a few days :(.

Positive news, it still starts and runs OK (did check it briefly) and before it boiled over both fans cut in so at least they are golden!

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
if the tank is the aftermarket white type it's the threads on that most likely, I spotted the same on the silver car for sale, standard OEM tank used and it was as it should be. Still I would check your fan speed one. When it fails the system reaches a higher pressure by the time speed two runs.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
if the tank is the aftermarket white type it's the threads on that most likely, I spotted the same on the silver car for sale, standard OEM tank used and it was as it should be. Still I would check your fan speed one. When it fails the system reaches a higher pressure by the time speed two runs.
Hard to tell mate, looks pretty OEM but may not be (Febi or similar perhaps)

TBF the threads on the bottle itself look fine but the cap is pretty goosed......going to try that first and see how we go (have ordered a genuine one).

Fans are fine, 1st speed fan came on and also comes on with my AC, 2nd fan definitely was on as it bubbled over. Am certain it is just a lack of pressure in the cap.

Interestingly I had a similar problem with my R50...thing kept popping its coolant out of the header tank, ended up having a replacement thermostat. It was an aftermarket one with a cap that looked a bit iffy so I ended up ordering a Febi one as it looked identical to OE and was a few quid cheaper. That thing let by like a sieve. Bought an OE one and it was fine...was funny as the internals of the cap were quite different despite the Febi one being supposedly OE quality (I call bollocks on that 😂 ) In the end I suspect the old thermostat was fine but probs just as well it was changed.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
only the OEM ones are a brown colour or more beige I suppose new just darkening with age, this is the ebay version commonly seen,

most cooling system parts are better replaced with OEM for reliability/accuracy imo.

if a cooling system is in very good order with the right coolant it could run for some considerable time with no cap on at all if not overfilled, including several fan cycles.

Reactions: pipsyp

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I have it in my head that back in the day you had to order tank and cap together ?
in which case I must have an oem tank in store somewhere, ping me a pm if the new cap won’t sort it
Cheers Alski will do, looks very much an OE copy if anything so will see how it goes....fingers crossed I'll get away with it.

Frustrating as its ben as good as gold for the year or so I've had it.

I've managed to bleed it back through best I can and clean up the mess....now just to wait for the cap (y)

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
the new OEM tank comes with a cap.... or the last one I got did at least.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
the new OEM tank comes with a cap.... or the last one I got did at least.
I have a feeling you're absolutely right Sean.....if you order the tank it comes with the cap, but the cap can be bought separately.

Was 16 quid vs nearly 80 so figured it was worth a go just changing the cap. If its no good I'll have to bite the bullet and get a new OE tank sorted. My best mate looks after the car for me so would have to take a steady drive down there to get him to sort (y)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Lohen did me just a cap when mine blew
Hoping the same Jim mate, I think mines just gotten ropey from all the heat cycles.....its needed to be tightened more and more to seal to the point it's just gone....fingers crossed the new one sorts (y)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Guys....thinking about servicing next month (I do it yearly....cars only covered a couple of K since having an inspection II and I've changed the plugs, filter and serp belt again since too so just gonna do oil and filter).

Suppose I cant go too wrong with Motul specific LL04 5w40 or similar? I went 5w30 last time but thinking 40 might suit better at higher temps etc?

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,419 Posts
I went with Fuchs titan 5w40 at my last oil because I was given a 5 litre for free. To be honest I've run all kinds of shite through mine and I don't think it's made a blind bit of difference as it gets changed probably every 3k miles or so

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Yeah for sure......not so much the brand rather than the viscosity I suppose I'm curious about.

I know they are 5w30 typically but wondering if running 5w40 is a better bet...bit more protection when hot etc? Know 1320 recommend 5w40 so dont suppose I can go too wrong with it as long as I get one which meets BMW/Mini specs......

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
Well the replacement handbrake lever and gearshift gaitor turned up so took the opportunity to sort those out. Just replaced the handbrake end cap in the end as there was nothing wrong with the lever and I couldn't be bothered to take it all apart again 🤣

The gaitor wasnt difficult to do and didn't take too long, clearly better quality material than the OE one, but a bit like the handbrake just not cut very well for fitting to the trim base. Cutting it to fit to the base well and lining it up so the stitching was in the right places was the hardest bit.

I had to cut the base of the gaitor away a bit to make it work....got a bit carried away and realised I trimmed the base too short. I managed to salvage it though as I still had just enough gaitor to glue down so problem averted

Looks great really happy with it, and they match perfectly and look very OEM (y)

20200603_203113.jpg

61 - 80 of 250 Posts