MiniTorque.com banner

41 - 60 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Not really.....I know full well RFTs dont work as well on these as decent regular summer tyres.....have seen all the talk about Rover having to retrofit RFTs on these at a very late stage in the cars development etc.

They do the job and at least I know more likely than not that if me or the missus pick up a puncture in it we can get it sorted without too much drama....I can change a tyre...also have AA membership but theres not much worse than being sat at the side of the road with a flat and either having a mobility kit that wont do jot....having to change the wheel (I dont want to turn the boot into a spare wheel recepticle) or waiting on someone to come tow you somewhere. RFTs have their disadvantages I know too well, but I'm happy to trade that for the mobility advantages. Tis a road car and doesnt get tracked anyway.

If I was going for all out, no compromise I'd probably throw a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4's or similar on it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
....I had a facelift R50 Cooper previously with 18" JCW's on regular (albeit garbage) tyres and just Sports suspension (was a Pepper pack car) and it rode infinitely better than the R53 for what its worth.

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
you're going to experience a rougher ride than normal with 40's in run-flat. Stock is 205/45r17, which explains why those look small under the arch.

I support retention of rft's for some people, you'd find 215/45r17's both fill the arches better than stock 205/45, also correcting some of the speedo over read these suffer with, and maybe improve the ride 'potentially'. There is no reason to stay loyal to a factory correct size when it was a poor choice in a 205 really, once you've driven one on 215/45's you'll likely as not realise why they should have been a factory fit tyre whether in rft or not, they just look and feel nicer on the car at least in a squarer profile.

as for values of LSD equipped cars, it won't make that much difference at all I'm sure. It's only a 25% locking diff which is good compared to nothing, but the vast majority will become worn with little to no chance of repairs being available short of buying a new box which nobody will do, so people will continue use of gear diffs most likely, or ATB diffs as they're called, in Quaife typically, or the MFactory ones I supply. These diffs have the added benefit of correcting most of the torque steer encountered as well as provide stunning performance without actually locking at all. Those seeking all original cars for future pride of ownership might try to find OEM LSD's but it won't add so much to the values, just a nicety. As it is used Quaife's come up reasonably often, and this will become more commonplace as time goes on, quite a popular retrofit.

Reactions: KeithyCoop

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
you're going to experience a rougher ride than normal with 40's in run-flat. Stock is 205/45r17, which explains why those look small under the arch.

I support retention of rft's for some people, you'd find 215/45r17's both fill the arches better than stock 205/45, also correcting some of the speedo over read these suffer with, and maybe improve the ride 'potentially'. There is no reason to stay loyal to a factory correct size when it was a poor choice in a 205 really, once you've driven one on 215/45's you'll likely as not realise why they should have been a factory fit tyre whether in rft or not, they just look and feel nicer on the car at least in a squarer profile.

as for values of LSD equipped cars, it won't make that much difference at all I'm sure. It's only a 25% locking diff which is good compared to nothing, but the vast majority will become worn with little to no chance of repairs being available short of buying a new box which nobody will do, so people will continue use of gear diffs most likely, or ATB diffs as they're called, in Quaife typically, or the MFactory ones I supply. These diffs have the added benefit of correcting most of the torque steer encountered as well as provide stunning performance without actually locking at all. Those seeking all original cars for future pride of ownership might try to find OEM LSD's but it won't add so much to the values, just a nicety. As it is used Quaife's come up reasonably often, and this will become more commonplace as time goes on, quite a popular retrofit.
My bad mate they are 205/45 r17.....88w's rather than the 84v's it would have come with originally...not that it really matters hey 😂

All for keeping it fairly original...appreciate there is a possibility of stretching tyres a little bit depending on the width of the wheel itself but I cant be assed to go down that rabbit hole with insurance etc.

Also RE LSD's totally get what you are saying.....know it's only a fairly boggo GKN torque sensing thing, doesnt lock tons and it's easy enough to stick the diff in a non diff car but when these cars time comes (assuming it ever does) I figure late facelift cars (S/JCW...whatever) will be what most people keen to buy into the "classic Mini" thing will covet....particularly as the factory diff was only available for about 18 months of its 5 or so year lifespan.

....and of course sure a "proper" diff chews the ass out of the stock thing but I'm never going to go that far witn the car....maybe if I was looking to track it but this one would be more of a garage queen.....if I had a garage (I did...it got converted 😂(y))

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Got a few bugs in my tail lights and noticed recently that the drivers side one has a couple of cracks forming in it. Also my rear fog is showing signs of cracking so next big thing will be to get all the rear lights replaced with new Valeo units.

Due an oil change soon so hopefully be able to get my mate who looks after it to do them for me then maybe.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Well as others said would happen I am starting to get well and truly hooked with the need to do stuff to the car after trying to tell myself I wouldnt.....does nothing but p**s my wife off being the main problem 🤣

Is going to be a very long term thing I figure as I just cant justify spending tons of cash on it at once (I've done quite a bit of that recently......) but my thoughts at the moment are these.....some may or may not happen and not necessarily all in this order.....

White mirror caps - done, chrome ones are for sale if anyone wants them.

Rust repair and wheel refurb - booked

Dechrome - will probably do the light rings, beltline, door handles and fuel cap with products from SMPS2012 or Killallchrome. Probably a gloss black aero grill replacement too. I figure I will probably leave the badges, side scuttles and front and rear lights (I.e. I wont Joey them) just for small flashes of chrome.

New Valeo rear lights and fog light.

Orranje Stealth CAI - maybe when I get it serviced in July.....undecided.

Janspeed manifold and tomcat - like the idea of a bit more power but being able to keep the stock emissions controls in place. If it were too loud I might have to consider getting the res centre section for my Milltek.

Fast road cam - Newman PH2 or similar (cost will probably play a factor)

Injectors and a tune - I dont live far from SRR so would probably look to get it sorted there if I go that far with it. For the cost figure I'd probably just go with some Bosch 550's?

R56 S front brake upgrade with OE equivalent Brembo discs and pads - as and when the front discs and pads need doing

Rear Brembo discs and pads.

Suspension overhaul - probably would go Bilstein B4 OE equivalent shocks and look to replace the top mounts, drop links and associated bushes. Would keep the stock springs if in good order. Probably get some strut defenders put in too.

Valeo SMF conversion and new clutch.

If anything kind of going for the OEM/OEM+ stealth look...keeping it original as much as possible but a bit more interesting (y)

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
Valeo smaller lining etc vs OEM/LUK fyi.

Certainly not an upgrade, purely a cheap option to get away from a DMF, then you're stuck with more expensive Valeo only replacement clutches.

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
if you want to make a significant difference to the way the engine responds, maybe invest in a GTT aluminium flywheel, Helix organic disc, and LUK cover with bearing, not cheap but the best performance rarely is ;O)

Reactions: pipsyp and Alski

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Well....nothing like a DIY disaster to dampen ones mood is there 🤣

I'm really quite (and probably far too) OCD about things with the car......inside the little felt patches on the seat belt buckles had been coming off and flapping about for some time and it was bugging me........after some deliberation of "do I pull them off and be left with loads of residue to remove.....or shall I stick down the loose bits"......I did the latter.

Didn't do too badder a job of it I dont think....not the easiest thing to do incredibly neatly but managed it with minimal over-gluing.... but somewhat annoyingly unbeknownst to me I'd got a couple of small smears of the glue on the handbrake gaiter.....the spray from the activator can was enough to activate it so was left with two small spots of hard glue on the gaiter 🥵 bollocks!

I did also get a tiny bit on the centre console but managed to get rid of it but it's somewhat wrecked the gaiter.

One of those situations where benefit of hindsight maybe I should have just removed the sodding things but hey ho tis done now and they sure as shit arent flapping about anymore 🤣(y)

That said and done...I had noticed that the gaiter had a hole in it anyway from where the adjustment bolt I believe has been rubbing against it all these years (hidden but still there).....also it was tearing away from the bracket so figured time to replace it.

I tried to go OEM but it seems Mini no longer stock the part on their parts site. I guess I could try with a dealer but expected that it'd be silly money for a poo quality bit of sprayed faux leather so looked at other options.

I managed to find one on Amazon that got good reviews.....it basically is cut to the correct template and just requires a little bit of internal gluing to connect it to the bracket. Black with black stitching to match the original and supposedly Italian leather...certainly looked half decent in the pics. For anyone who is interested £11.99 from the Tuning Shop....bizarrely I paid 10.99 for it just yesterday

I will update with photos once fitted

I just need to remove the handbrake lever, cut the zip tie and put it on so shouldn't be too difficult....just have to be careful with the glue this time!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well the gearlever gaiter is done. Was a little fiddly, the hardest part really was spot gluing it to the original bracket then trimming small bits of leather from the bracket to improve the fit.

The quality of the gaiter itself is excellent....is definitely leather and made of better quality material than the OE item with nice stitching etc. The shape was perfect but the templated fitting to the OE bracket was slightly off from the original....fine but would be better if it was a perfect copy of the original. Particularly at the rear of the gaitor....you end up being left with a fairly large bit of tail that initially I just folded back on itself and glued to the inside of the bracket. However when trying to fit it, it became obvious that the centre console design wouldn't accept the thicker overhang of leather so it wouldn't clip into place....hence some of the need to cut it. I think if you went at it too quickly you really could mess it up.

Once trimmed up and in though it does look excellent and pretty much OE......only if you look very closely you can tell theres a bit of a difference between the leather of the handbrake gaiter and that of the gearlever mostly in that the replacement is black whereas the OE colour is more a v dark anthracite.

I might in due course change the gear shift gaiter too but as theres nought wrong with it dont much see the point.

Only mildly annoying thing is that in getting the handbrake lever off one of the retaining clips on the end cap snapped off so it's now loose. More annoying in that this handbrake lever was a new OE item fitted only months ago so a bit disappointed it broke. Still a new OE one is only 12 quid or so from Mini so I've just ordered a replacement.

Some pics of old vs new, it all glued up to the bracket then fitted.

20200530_191138.jpg 20200530_191159.jpg 20200530_191151.jpg 20200530_193213.jpg 20200530_193143.jpg 20200530_201328.jpg 20200530_201421.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
you know what, I quite like that, if they also do a gear lever gaiter I'll probably follow suit, even though I have a Coolerworx lever I retained the gaiter and my handbrake end cap is already missing a clip so not much to lose doing both, which would only look better in an all black car imo.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
you know what, I quite like that, if they also do a gear lever gaiter I'll probably follow suit, even though I have a Coolerworx lever I retained the gaiter and my handbrake end cap is already missing a clip so not much to lose doing both, which would only look better in an all black car imo.
Cheers mate, really pleased with it and the quality is far beyond what I expected. I also have a feeling it might be somewhat hand produced as well as I could see some evidence of chalk marks where it would have been cut to shape. Regardless v good indeed.

Handbrake lever itself was a funny one.....my original one was v tired but when looking into getting another with the silver trim pieces at the time I struggled, this time I found a few but they were nearly 40 quid vs the 12 of the black one. Knowing the silver trim doesn't weather well and the bonkers difference in price I went all black....I actually kinda prefer it.

Going to look for the gearshift gaitor to see if I can find it......

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
...I've just ordered the gearshift boot directly from them. 12.98 delivered.

Bit bummed as I could have gotten both together a bit cheaper but hey ho....not sure when I'll get around to fitting it but figure for the money might as well grab one!

The gearshift boot link for direct purchase
.....they do seem to do different leather/stitching colour combos too even Alcantara.....

·
Registered
159 Posts

I moved to the slightly wider and higher profile tyre, 215/45/17, when I changed alloys and our R52 drives so much better than it did on the original size tyres.

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
great feeling isn't it when a decision so seemingly trivial makes such a positive difference to the car ;O)

Reactions: pipsyp

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Just gave the car a bath in preparation for its bodywork and wheel refurb repairs tomorrow. Nothing silly....just a hose rinse, wash with Gtechnic G-Wash using a Gtechniq mit and separate sponge for the wheels using the two bucket method cleaning the wheels after the rest of the car. Finished off with AutoGlym Aqua Wax applied and buffed using microfiber cloths....love the stuff as you apply it to a wet car and it acts as a drying aid as well as providing a light layer of wax that lasts a few weeks typically. I'm a lazy sod who likes a tidy finish but doesnt want to (or really have the time to) put the graft in so this stuff is ace for it. Anyone not familiar with it give it a look...ace stuff......bonus it smells like bubble gum as well

Have to say for a car that's just about to turn 14 and has been daily used for most of its life (with the minor nicks and knocks you would expect with 80+ k miles) still amazes me how well it comes up.

Looking forward to having the wheels finally brought up to scratch and the colour change....hoping it all comes together as they are about the only thing on the car that let it down at the moment cosmetically.

I'll post back with some photos and feedback on the repairers doing the work tomorrow once it's all done (y)

20200531_205827.jpg
20200531_205855.jpg
20200531_213036.jpg

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
So the paint repairs and wheel refurb in BMW Orbit grey is done......has come out really well I think.

Having it smart repaired vs sending it into a body shop......kind of 6 of 1, half dozen of the other I guess........I probably would have ended up with a higher quality finish (not that this isnt high quality but you know what I mean) and where the wheels are concerned I could have gone the whole hog and have had them acid dipped etc (these have just been sanded, lightly repaired in places and sprayed on their faces) but for what I've paid (I estimate probably half what a decent bodyshop would have charged) and zero inconvenience of having to take the car somewhere and be without it for some time absolutely zero complaints.

Testament to the lad who did the work......hes done a lovely job of colour matching and blending the finish on the bodywork repairs and the wheels are ace seeing as the tyres weren't removed etc. I did also get the other lamp cluster resprayed (the one I touched up myself) so the rear end looks basically perfect now.

Wheel colour really is a personal choice but am loving the Orbit Grey. Think it goes super well as a contrast with the blue white and chrome accents...so much so I'm now thinking I probably wont dechrome it. The colour is great as it almost looks black but close up and in certain lights you can tell its grey and being metallic it does really pop in the sunlight too.

Overall incredibly pleased and would use the company again.....is Revive UK's South Coast franchise I used for anyone who is interested. Definitely would recommend for a quality job outside your home/work.

Some pics....looks a little high as its spent most of the morning on axle stands so still needs to settle (y)

20200601_132844.jpg
20200601_132631.jpg
20200601_132735.jpg

41 - 60 of 333 Posts