MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S with Milltek etc.
Discussion Starter #21
....or blown up 馃槀 馃槀 馃槀 (y) (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
...just a quick update on this.

Many thanks to Big jim.....I have a set of white mirror caps on the way which will get rid of some of the (unnecessary) chrome.

Am having a bit of a rethink on dechroming....definitely going nowhere near plastidip after my previous cluster feck so might tap up KillAllChrome for some of their stick on pieces....headlight surrounds, door handles, fuel cap and belt line most likely.

Thinking I might put an aero grill (be it the real deal or a replica) on it too at some point....any pointers of good places to source these?

My 3rd cyl point on the coil pack is shot to bits too so thinking that might need to be replaced in due course. Had seen that Delphi units are available and quite a bit cheaper than the OE items....but the standard bolts dont work properly with them...is that right? OE ones are 120 quid directly from Mini....seems a lot!!

Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
I鈥檝e not sent your mirror caps yet so I鈥檒l chuck a piece of kill all chrome wrap in the parcel you can have a play with, it鈥檚 actually one half of the headlight trim kit, I bought it to see if I could wrap my mirror caps, I couldn鈥檛!

as for the belt line kit, it鈥檚 a good bit of kit, mine has been on for about 15 months with no sign of peeling off or rips etc

not tried the door handles or fuel cap as I got my handles off wish website for about 拢12, not as good quality as kill all chrome but again 15 months and going no where!

fuel cap, mine is a black oem metal one that just replaced the chrome one by undoing a single grub screw

I just happen to have a spare coil pack sat here too, nowt wrong with it replaced it with a magnecor one off eBay that no one else bid on so got it for 拢30!

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
I鈥檝e not sent your mirror caps yet so I鈥檒l chuck a piece of kill all chrome wrap in the parcel you can have a play with, it鈥檚 actually one half of the headlight trim kit, I bought it to see if I could wrap my mirror caps, I couldn鈥檛!

as for the belt line kit, it鈥檚 a good bit of kit, mine has been on for about 15 months with no sign of peeling off or rips etc

not tried the door handles or fuel cap as I got my handles off wish website for about 拢12, not as good quality as kill all chrome but again 15 months and going no where!

fuel cap, mine is a black oem metal one that just replaced the chrome one by undoing a single grub screw

I just happen to have a spare coil pack sat here too, nowt wrong with it replaced it with a magnecor one off eBay that no one else bid on so got it for 拢30!
Ah mate no worries and cheers that's good of you. I'm so 50/50 with the chrome might be good to see if it helps make my mind up.....it's been sending me bipolar! 馃槀

Cheers for the info, I found another pretty good source for the blackout bits...seems the better stuff isnt overly cheap but we'll see where it goes.

Will keep you posted on the coil pack....I did sand and clean up the point and best as I could...also gave the HT lead end a bit of a tweak with some pliers so that it fits on the terminal a little tighter (given it no longer clicks into place) but it runs good as gold for now.....I suppose I could do with haemoraging money on it for now as I've just paid for the supercharger service lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
...well decided to have a little go on the least bad rust spots. Just very carefully sanded the areas, touched up and lacquered. Allowed to dry briefly then lightly compounded and polished them to smooth them down. Not A1 perfect but better than rust bubbles and should prevent it getting any worse...and you really need to be looking for it to see it.

Might get it properly smart repaired at some point if it gets worse but much better for now.
IMG-20200518-WA0016.jpeg
IMG-20200518-WA0014.jpeg
IMG-20200518-WA0012.jpeg

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
...the other sides advanced too much so going to leave that to the pros!

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
So mirror caps (mostly done). Just got to glue some clips to keep them retained but then job done. Quick T cut and polish and have come up really good.

Big shout to Big Jim for sorting me out with these...world of difference to before (y)

Repairers are coming to sort the rust spots on the rear end and refurb the Bullets in BMW Orbit Grey on 1st June....looking forward to having that all sorted.
20200520_105640.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
Get lighter wheels? Won't be much more than the bullets? Plus you can go down in size too

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
I like the Bullets personally, looking to keep this pretty OEM, OEM+ so sticking with stock wheels. Got a good price on the refurb so happy there.

I might down the line try and get a set of 17" split rim R90 or R98's but I know they dont tend to come up all that often...or that cheaply so may or may not happen 馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
Get some cleaner on your black bits!
Needs a wash TBF...covered in dust and gull shit (live by the sea).

Planning on getting some Gtechniq trim restorer but haven't bothered just yet

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
So that's the mirrors done. V pleased.

20200520_165613.jpg

Registered
Hi mate liking the progress. Get them to show you orbit grey before they do anything to your wheels. I work in BMW wheel refurb and orbit grey doesn't really match anything on your car.

It's like the 140is they did the shadow editions with orbit grey 436ms but the cars had ferric grey accents (yours white) and then obviously a different body colour. Always thought it looked weird. Make sure you see both colours (orbit grey and orbit grey 2) in person before committing.

Not knocking anything but just my 2 cents. Also fair play for trying the mirror caps on your own on your driveway nice to see someone willing to have a go.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Premium Member
are they 40 profile tyres?

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
Hi mate liking the progress. Get them to show you orbit grey before they do anything to your wheels. I work in BMW wheel refurb and orbit grey doesn't really match anything on your car.

It's like the 140is they did the shadow editions with orbit grey 436ms but the cars had ferric grey accents (yours white) and then obviously a different body colour. Always thought it looked weird. Make sure you see both colours (orbit grey and orbit grey 2) in person before committing.

Not knocking anything but just my 2 cents. Also fair play for trying the mirror caps on your own on your driveway nice to see someone willing to have a go.

Cheers mate appreciate the feedback (y)

I was going dark anthracite anyway....part of the reason is I like dark alloys but didn't want them black particularly. Wanted Orbit Grey as I like it on BM's....is also kind of a Mini colour (they use it on newer Mini alloys) so for me was that kind of OEM+ look I'm after.

Contemplated going factory but I just didn't want silver wheels again....also contemplated white to match the roof and mirrors but figured it'd be too much white and I didn't want to be cleaning them every 5 mins 馃ぃ

I "might" in time dechrome it and put an aero grill (gloss black replica probably)...undecided TBH.

Mirror caps were a pain in the a.....mainly because the clips didn't line up and I had to glue most of them to keep them in place as they were broken (of course they become super fragile after a few years)....but they are well and truly on there now. Cant recommend Geocel Joiners Mate Mitre Bond glue enough....is like plastic welding for novices and so versatile....so long as you dont activate it on somewhere you dont want it to stick 馃ぃ

To anyone wanting to do mirror caps themselves just some advice.....definitely remove the mirror glass first is a nightmare otherwise. Also be sure to pop the glass back in the right way around.....the glass itself isnt handed but has to be put in the right way around otherwise you end up with a big gap at the top of the mirror (rather than at the bottom as it's supposed to be).

To get them out just tilt the mirror as far upwards as possible, and I find pulling out and back whilst stood behind the mirror works best as less chance for you to throw/drop it on the floor when it pops. Pull like you think you are gonna break it (you wont) and it'll eventually just pop off. Far easier to put back in than get out.

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
are they 40 profile tyres?
Yes mate, factory spec 205/40 17 88W's.

Still on RFT's.....I know most people dont like them and it'd drive better on normal but again want to keep it largely OEM...also I cant stand mobility kits etc so do quite like the freedom they give you when you do get a puncture (compared to normal tyres at least).

I have the latest OE spec Hankook Ventus S1 evo2's on the rear, gonna get some for the front once the crap on there gets a bit more worn.

Registered
Yeah they use it on the 596 and the 536 alloys on the minis. There are two variants of this colour make sure you check which one you like. Mini sparkling graphite is a nice colour.

Agree with you on the silver I am not a fan of silver alloys although do like them on a silver car which people might think is weird.

BMW also make a two part glue with disposable nozzles I'll post the part number when I get back to work. It is very very strong and I have used it a on a multitude of things with great success.

As we work in the wheel department I get a surplus of tyres. I have tried almost every tyre on my mini oem wise but keep going back to the pirelli cinturato at the moment. Really loved the hankook ventus v12 evo as well they are both similarly priced.

How do you find the ride on 18s with runflats?

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
Yeah they use it on the 596 and the 536 alloys on the minis. There are two variants of this colour make sure you check which one you like. Mini sparkling graphite is a nice colour.

Agree with you on the silver I am not a fan of silver alloys although do like them on a silver car which people might think is weird.

BMW also make a two part glue with disposable nozzles I'll post the part number when I get back to work. It is very very strong and I have used it a on a multitude of things with great success.

As we work in the wheel department I get a surplus of tyres. I have tried almost every tyre on my mini oem wise but keep going back to the pirelli cinturato at the moment. Really loved the hankook ventus v12 evo as well they are both similarly priced.

How do you find the ride on 18s with runflats?

Hi mate is code B35 I've asked for. Might be wrong but have a feeling there is only one Orbit Grey but there are two Ferric Greys with one slightly darker than the other?

Wheel colour was a tricky choice TBH.....part of me thinks it would be nice to stick with the factory silver but I know they'll just become brake dust magnets and in time will just look crap again. Rather the same with white....I actually really like Minis with white wheels but once the pitting starts (dont get me wrong I love keeping a car clean but I have three young kids so they take priority over everything!) they'll look garbage. Grey for me was two things.....not black....not averse to black wheels just didn't want them on this.....also darker colours hide brake dust better and in a way are easier to touch repair if damaged.

Thanks on the glue recommendation be great to know the part code when you get the chance. Imagine it's similar as this stuffs basically a wet glue with an activator spray. I've used it quite a bit in the past and it's amazing the versatility of jobs it works on.....even used it to fix threads on a broken air filter airbox before.

I'm on 17" Bullets with RFT's......ride is utter poo but most of that's down to the Sports+ suspension I guess. I think RFT tech has improved tho so no doubt the newer tyres offer a better ride......must say I did notice some reasonable improvement when I put the Hankooks on the back.....the front is a bit lively mind.

My cars more of a mini-restoration project TBH....making some mild improvements here and there as I see fit but my main objective with the car was to try and get it as mint as I can justify in the hope that used values for late facelift LSD equipped cars will go on the rise.....and if I ever do decide to sell it (which is unlikely at this point) I might profit rather than lose out. Have done far too much money on new cars over the years so nice to potentially have a bit of a change with this one. One of the reasons I'm dithering about the dechrome and the grill as it's a step away from OEM.......tough call.

Also I dont want to turn it into some mad track day weapon....totally see the appeal but the car doubles as our 2nd A-B car so anything I do to it, I dont really want to unduly affect its practicality/daily usability.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts