MiniTorque.com banner
341 - 345 of 345 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the N14 horror stories, much is down to prevention, the N18 has all the same stuff going on and more systems in the additional Vanos plus Valvetronic that the Cooper and One has, known to cause problems. They still have HPFP's and vacuum pumps, they still have chain system concerns, they still can burn oil through the top or bottom, they have the same thermostat housing issues, it's even a little harder to reduce oil vapour ingestion if wanting to, just having less carbon build up with the layout they have, and there are no performance camshafts for them like there are the N14 which is more tuneable. It's interesting the affect time has had on the N14, it's actually becoming quite a proposition for big power now people have faced the weaknesses head on and addressed them, treat the chain like a belt with a 50k interval and it'll be a better car to run for many, then like the 53 just over service them if valued.

Glad you got work ;O)

Reactions: pipsyp

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Sorry to hear about your redundancy but fantastic that you got another job so quickly.

Car is looking really well, looks like it has gone to a great home, have you asked for first dibs if they ever get rid? At least you’d know it wouldn’t have wanted for anything haha

R56 sounds more sensible for a daily particularly with road tax and mpg.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Many will have their views and most would urge you to steer clear of N14s.
Jason who owns Millsys autos says some are solid, others are shockingly terrible and you wont know which you have until it starts to go wrong.

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #345 ·
Cheers chaps, a bleak few months but luckily came good in the end. Job market is not good though, I wouldnt have wanted to find myself in this position in the early New Year as I reckon its only getting worse. Genuinely feel terrible and have all the empathy in the world for anyone else going through the same at the moment......CoVid is wrecking lots of peoples lives.

Am super pleased about the car as I was always a bit concerned it'd end up with some young upstart that'd end up wrapping it around a tree within moments...that its getting the care Id see appropriate for it (and more) makes me happy.

Im not doing anything car wise for a while, got my probation to complete then it'll almost certainly be something super sensible......you guys are gonna almost certainly lynch me for this......but a Mokka is a possibility lmfao......tedious link my brother is very senior at a group of Vauxhall main dealers so being able to get something cheap with a years warranty is always a bit of a draw. That said if I end up in the position to justify something thats a bit of a folly an R56 S or JCW would definitely fit the bill.....get a good one and Im sure it'll be no worse than an R53 anyways.

341 - 345 of 345 Posts