MiniTorque.com banner

321 - 333 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
I know you're in the Brighton area but how close are you to the coast? Salt in the air can really accelerate all things rust.

It's a shame you're having to consider moving the car on, can tell you've looked after it well whilst you've had it. Hopefully things pick up and it stays in your ownership!
I can just about see the sea from my house mate so am pretty close 😂

TBF the cars been in this area for half its life probably and most Gen 1's have rust "somewhere".....I see alot of them that are OK where mine is but going somewhere else I think mine was probably always prone to having the issue where it is.....also I have a working theory that Hyper Blue as lovely a colour as it is might be a bit more susceptible to it. Happily my doors, tailgate etc are all great so it could be alot worse.

We'll see as well.....it's one of those where the cars great but it's hardly being used and I could arguably do with money in the account than it sat on the drive costing money I'd rather someone else enjoyed it if it comes to it 👍

·
Registered
253 Posts
Pretty close then haha

I could just about see the water from where I used to live and was nice to go down in the evenings. Moved a little further out now so it's a short drive away rather than a two min walk.

Could definitely be a lot worse, there are plenty out there that are rotting through completely.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Yes mate 100%, many I see around here are just fine think it's just sadly luck of the draw where they eventually decide to go as it's a case of when not so much if hey?!

It's so slight I reckon I can get it sorted at not too ridiculous a cost as and when it warrants it, still probably going to have a go with it myself when I manage to secure somewhere to do it and some decent masking plastic/paper (y)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
So the exhaust centering issue is fixed. As is usually the case with aftermarket exhausts on these things due to the way the exhaust rubbers are mounted, and the way the mounting points are placed on the exhausts there is alot of natural sideways play, particularly in the outer muffler mounts. My exhaust had settled and found its natural resting place to be off to the left after being driven...frankly it was getting right on my nerves having to keep knocking it back centre after a drive!

Recentering the exhaust and placement of a very heavy duty jubilee clip on one of the mounting points (in my case is was on the inner mounting point on the right muffler) the exhaust is now bone straight and has remained as such so far.....hopefully it now stays that way.

Also as to the aux belt noise, I now have a working theory.....

Since changing out the belt tensioner, idler pulley and belt (shortened from 1368 to 1360) I think I've probably cured noise from the idler pulley and with the tighter belt I think it might be exacerbating noise from the crank pulley which can just be heard more now the belts tighter and everything else is now running far quieter. I don't think it's failing (it's been inspected and there is no play in it at all) but after 82k miles it's probably no longer bone straight (i.e has a slight wobble in it) and so likely causing some of the rattling noise and lumpy idle I've been experiencing.

My mate did wonder if it might be cam chain related, but given the car had a brand new chain, tensioner, followers and all other related items only 12k miles ago at a main dealers, also that on cold start you get the usual second or two of chain noise which completely disappears and doesn't come back once the tensioner is up to pressure I just can't see it myself....particularly given how young the chain is and the relative rareness with which they fail.

Benefit of hindsight I probably should have just gotten the crank pulley done whilst it was apart recently but it was another few hundred quid I didn't really have to spare and such is life. When things are a little more certain and my bank balance has recovered from recent car spends (which have been pretty astronomical!) I will look to get an OEM crank pulley and front main seal done on it. It isn't like the car is daily driven or does big miles ever so not really a worry.

As to the bodywork my mate has encouraged me not to undertake doing it myself as blending will most likely be an issue (not such a problem with a solid colour). I will therefore just leave be with a view to get it into a body shop and have it corrected properly when funds allow. My mate has some contacts and I also have a family friend who owns an accident repair centre with a superb rep (but not particularly cheap!) So will get it sorted by some means.

Also.....more likely than not I won't be parting with it. No one's messaged me from my for sale post, given the current climate people are after a bargain which my car (given how good it is all round) isn't a bargain, I'm also not just going to give it away. If someone makes me a really good offer and something I can't really refuse I am all ears but otherwise it's staying put (y) (y)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hopefully the exhaust stays straight now, had to do similar on a previous car, a heavy duty cable tie did the trick.

Would also be surprised if it's the chain given that it's been done previously. Doesn't sound like the crank pulley is urgent given that there is no play so prob one to just keep an eye on for now.

Makes sense to get the rust sorted properly when funds allow, and then you'll be able to forget about it.

Great news that, you've done a lot to get it to where it is and it would be a shame to sell it now, appreciate circumstances can change in an instant and we don't always get to decide, but like you say it's a great example and is enjoyable to drive.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Went for a nice little (but sensible) hoon with a mate who also has an 06 R53 last night. Fortunate to live moments from Beechy Head and the roads there spanning Eastbourne and East Dean are spectacular. You can't be silly tho as the police are all over it, particularly this time of year but it's nice being able to give the car a good workout on some decent Twisties. Even on standard suspension it still amazes me how well the R53 handles and the relative speed you can carry though corners with no fear. LSD definitely helps coming out of them too.

Was funny on the way home too, we ended up being tailed by a fellow R53 driver who I don't know, but lives where we live so ended up being like the Italian job on the way back, colours of the cars all wrong of course but was amusing all the same.

However there's always something.......I get home to find one of my number plate bulbs has died and I know the covers are a bit of a twat to get out without breaking (particularly given they are now probably a bit brittle) so have ordered a couple of new bulbs and a small job replacing them next week. Hopefully I can get it done without having to replace the covers too.....

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
Well I've lost my passenger side brake light as well 😂 guess one or the other going out probably took the other with it.

I wouldn't mind but as the brake light requires the cluster to come out, and whilst I'm at it I might just as well do both sides it's all turned into a bit of a ballache.....at least the car had the heart to get itself through its MOT first :ROFLMAO: (y)

I've already pulled the number plate lights, the one that had gone was corroding to bits.....I guess before I did my boot handle gasket the old one probably had seen better days and had been letting by a bit, certainly the lenses inside were a bit dirty too.

Ran the lenses under a tap, cleaned them with a wet wipe and kitchen towelled them dry and they were much better. One of the spring clips came off so had to glue it back in place and stuck some glue on the other one to make it a bit more robust.

Got some Osram bulbs coming from Amazon for both, hopefully the brake light ones show up later today I can get them done and make it legal for daytime driving at least 👍

·
Registered
253 Posts
Had the same issue with number plate lights, corroded and useless. Replaced them with some LED type ones.

Agree on the handling, surprisingly chuckable on the standard suspension and that’s with it being 16 years old and over 100k.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
Well what a nause!

In the process of changing out the brake light, the fecking reverse light bulb decided to drop it's fillament! W16W bulbs are a right sod to find at 6pm on a Sunday too so had to get back on Amazon to order a pair. Hopefully all the remaining bulbs turn up tomorrow and I'll have it all sorted.

Is bizarre on the facelift tail lamps, they are easy enough (if a bit sodding fiddly) to get out, but for some reason the reversing lights have some additional section of bulb holder on them with four little splines that just don't want to come out of the lamp housing when you pull the back off to access the lamps. You can of course but you have to rather force it breaking the splines and risking damage to the pin connector in the lamp cluster itself. Why it is that way seeing as the other bulbs just come straight out of the housing god only knows but I've ordered two bulbs and will do both.

Also for anyone who doesn't know and is interested, the rear lights and brake lights use the same single bulb, it's a two fillament bulb with one fillament being for the lights and the other (a smaller higher output piece of wire) being for the brakes. Appears on mine the fillament for the lights was fine but the one for the brake light had gone. Kind of expected two separate bulbs but no.....

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Had the same issue with number plate lights, corroded and useless. Replaced them with some LED type ones.

Agree on the handling, surprisingly chuckable on the standard suspension and that’s with it being 16 years old and over 100k.
I considered this mate but figured it was a bit of a lottery getting some that would work properly (not flash)....also I didn't them ending up too bright.

I gather it's possible to graft E90 3 series OEM LED units into the Mini handle, completely plug and play but a bit of a fiddle to do by all accounts....probably a DIY step too far for me👍👍😂

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
All the lights are now sorted (y)

Sadly however personal circumstances now dictate that the Mini needs to go and would be looking for a quick sale.

£3250, sensible offers considered.

321 - 333 of 333 Posts