MiniTorque.com banner

301 - 320 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Super happy with how the Gtechniq C4 turned out. Trims now look so much better and without that horrible sticky tack that a lot of these sorts of products leave behind.

I've also bit the bullet and bought a full aerosol paint repair kit for it from Paints4U, so plan to sand it back, grey prime, basecoat then lacquer it....probably several light coats of each and hopefully end up with the right sort of finish....or certainly a finish I can live with. If it works out I'll be chuffed (y)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
Well car passed its MOT yesterday, advised on corroded brake lines which isn't much of a surprise :ROFLMAO:

Very pleased though, mechanically feels about as together as it ever has done so fingers crossed the next 12 months motoring will be fairly uneventful.

Absolutely love the Helix, 110% recommend it and would say it's the best mod on the car so far. Takes some initial getting used to as the shifts are that much shorter and they feel a little more notchy than when stock......but the gear change is so much more direct and when you want to hurry along makes the gearchange experience so much better (and faster). The car should have been more like it stock for sure.

My aerosol paint repair kit should arrive today, though with the weather as it is at the moment don't suppose I'll be giving that a go anytime soon.......wish me luck when the weather let's up!!🤜🤛

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a quick shift on my Focus (which has much smoother shift than the Mini) and it is good. Much easier to fit as well! That's why I've never fitted one on the Mini.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Glad it's passed MOT and is feeling good, hopefully it will just give you smiles for a while now!

Good to hear your experience of the short shift, will have to add one to the future mod list.

Shame the weather has turned conditions were excellent for spraying, at least you have the kit and can take advantage when it picks up again.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Glad it's passed MOT and is feeling good, hopefully it will just give you smiles for a while now!

Good to hear your experience of the short shift, will have to add one to the future mod list.

Shame the weather has turned conditions were excellent for spraying, at least you have the kit and can take advantage when it picks up again.
Cheers mate yes very happy all round.

Only slight annoyance is that the exhaust keeps going off centre to the left.....my mate said there's not an awful lot that can be done to stop it but have read that you can put jubilee clips around the hangers which can sometimes stop it....might be the next port of call (y)

Yeah a bit annoyed about the weather as I'd like to have gotten out and had a go at it but hey ho it can wait....just hope I get the sort of finish I'm after/can live with 😂

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
I have two here now that do the same, both aftermarket stock version systems of different makes I believe

Reactions: pipsyp

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Cheers mate yes very happy all round.

Only slight annoyance is that the exhaust keeps going off centre to the left.....my mate said there's not an awful lot that can be done to stop it but have read that you can put jubilee clips around the hangers which can sometimes stop it....might be the next port of call (y)

Yeah a bit annoyed about the weather as I'd like to have gotten out and had a go at it but hey ho it can wait....just hope I get the sort of finish I'm after/can live with 😂
How you finding that mount?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Sweet Jesus......now some of you that are into detailing are probably well aware of this anyway......but shit how good is Farecla G3?!!!!

I bought the Premium liquid that technically is supposed to be used with a mop....but Christ if you have some decent microfibre applicator pads and are prepared to be patient and put a bit of elbow grease in the results are staggering!!!!

I gave my DIY paint area a good compounding followed by G3 Wax and it seriously looks a million times better than before. The paint is blended so much better and the pop from it is something else (benefit of having used the Chipex paint is it has lacquer blended into it) and it's gotten rid of the worst of the dull areas where I'd oversanded as well.

I am going to continue down the rattle can route of course but it's nice to have this stuff in the arsenal as I am sure once the paintwork is done it'll bring out a perfect finish in it....also I'm gonna get compounding and waxing the S-Max at some point too.

Here's how it stands now.....quite impressive hey?

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Had to go on an extended drive this afternoon (picking my lad up from a windsurfing lesson and dropping him and his younger brother to his Uncle and Aunts for a sleepover) and on my way home had quite a pleasant surprise.

I started being followed and somewhat encouraged along by a nearly new Polo GTI (the 2.0 DSG one).......my car was making a fair amount of noise, pops and bangs so maybe I'm the one that did the encouraging........anyway ended up getting held up by a tractor for about a mile at 30mph.........it cleared so I just thought I'd leather it briefly to get up to speed, he seemingly did the same......

Surprisingly after a short moment of being relatively equally paced I started to gap him.....I called time on play to save it getting silly at which point I was probably a good 4 maybe 5 car lengths on him. After that he didn't bother no more and guess he realised he probably wouldnt keep up.

Makes you realise that these things still even by today's standards have some legs......sure mines not entirely standard (and it'd have probably been all over me) and I'm probably running similar, if not slightly more brake...also I guess the Minis considerably lighter but still I found it surprising. I've mentioned it before but I used to have a 6C Polo GTI manual and am starting to think it felt quicker than it was due to the mid range torque.....think that's half the problem with most modern turbo petrols they lag, then go bloody well for a few thousand RPM then start dying off when peak torques arrived.....whereas with the R53 almost seems like the harder you rev it the harder it wants to go....can only imagine what it'd be like with a cam and decent mani!!!!!

Appreciate a remapped one would be a very different outcome but amusing all the same!🤣

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
No real news of late.

I felt the car was suffering a very slight low rev stutter, particularly when cold and came to the conclusion that the car may not be liking the ECP HT leads I had put on it, maybe down to the colder sparks testing the leads?

I therefore switched back to the OE leads, did an ECU reset from the cluster and it does seem better now.

I'm also fairly confident whilst it's not failing as such, my crank pulley has gotten noisy....it's always done it but think it's more obvious now since I've had the Aux tensioner changed out...it also had a new idler pulley and the alternator (a Remy one) is pretty new so sure it's not those. It makes a bit of a bag of spanners noise whilst idling, not horrendous but definitely there.

Now deliberating whether to go OE replacement or perhaps get a cast one like the ones KAVS make. I know there's various thoughts about longer term crank damage which is the only thing that puts me off but I think the ATI ones are crazy money and still require maintenance down the road. Decisions decisions....can't do ought until I know what my work situation is but replacing that and the front main seal probably my next job...always bloody something :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Had to go on an extended drive this afternoon (picking my lad up from a windsurfing lesson and dropping him and his younger brother to his Uncle and Aunts for a sleepover) and on my way home had quite a pleasant surprise.

I started being followed and somewhat encouraged along by a nearly new Polo GTI (the 2.0 DSG one).......my car was making a fair amount of noise, pops and bangs so maybe I'm the one that did the encouraging........anyway ended up getting held up by a tractor for about a mile at 30mph.........it cleared so I just thought I'd leather it briefly to get up to speed, he seemingly did the same......

Surprisingly after a short moment of being relatively equally paced I started to gap him.....I called time on play to save it getting silly at which point I was probably a good 4 maybe 5 car lengths on him. After that he didn't bother no more and guess he realised he probably wouldnt keep up.

Makes you realise that these things still even by today's standards have some legs......sure mines not entirely standard (and it'd have probably been all over me) and I'm probably running similar, if not slightly more brake...also I guess the Minis considerably lighter but still I found it surprising. I've mentioned it before but I used to have a 6C Polo GTI manual and am starting to think it felt quicker than it was due to the mid range torque.....think that's half the problem with most modern turbo petrols they lag, then go bloody well for a few thousand RPM then start dying off when peak torques arrived.....whereas with the R53 almost seems like the harder you rev it the harder it wants to go....can only imagine what it'd be like with a cam and decent mani!!!!!

Appreciate a remapped one would be a very different outcome but amusing all the same!🤣
Sounds like it's pulling really strongly, must be well chuffed that it's running nicely and you can get some smiles from it!

No real news of late.

I felt the car was suffering a very slight low rev stutter, particularly when cold and came to the conclusion that the car may not be liking the ECP HT leads I had put on it, maybe down to the colder sparks testing the leads?

I therefore switched back to the OE leads, did an ECU reset from the cluster and it does seem better now.

I'm also fairly confident whilst it's not failing as such, my crank pulley has gotten noisy....it's always done it but think it's more obvious now since I've had the Aux tensioner changed out...it also had a new idler pulley and the alternator (a Remy one) is pretty new so sure it's not those. It makes a bit of a bag of spanners noise whilst idling, not horrendous but definitely there.

Now deliberating whether to go OE replacement or perhaps get a cast one like the ones KAVS make. I know there's various thoughts about longer term crank damage which is the only thing that puts me off but I think the ATI ones are crazy money and still require maintenance down the road. Decisions decisions....can't do ought until I know what my work situation is but replacing that and the front main seal probably my next job...always bloody something :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Always something that's for sure be, it enforced maintenance or planned tinkering. Mine was only meant to be a fun second car to get running nicely then just run it.

Fast forward almost a year and it's had chunks spent both maintenance and upgrade wise and the list doesn't seem to be getting any shorter so definitely turned into a long term project!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Sounds like it's pulling really strongly, must be well chuffed that it's running nicely and you can get some smiles from it!

Always something that's for sure be, it enforced maintenance or planned tinkering. Mine was only meant to be a fun second car to get running nicely then just run it.

Fast forward almost a year and it's had chunks spent both maintenance and upgrade wise and the list doesn't seem to be getting any shorter so definitely turned into a long term project!
Mate it's horrendous isnt it, if they weren't so fun and characterful it'd been gone long ago (y)

Definitely pleased with how it's driving now on the most part, having had to drive the modern family torque monster for so many weeks you quickly forget what it's like to drive a SC'd car in that they aren't all that quick unless you really rag them, but then are rather when you do. Thing with the Polo rather surprised me for sure, undoubtedly stock it'd have had me but as it stands did pretty well for itself I guess!

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
I don't believe it's the crank so much as potentially the oil pump at risk with lightened one piece crank pulleys, the load of the charger belt on the snout of the crank and that the snout passes through the inner oil pump gear, means any resonance/vibration could be transferred into the pump gear maybe, and potentially affect either of the pump gears which are actually really very brittle,

ATI I have seen it said on here 'need' rebuilding but I don't think this is quite as suggested, yes they are rebuildable, they might only need that if used in certain conditions I'm not so sure, it didn't put me off using them fwiw,

Reactions: pipsyp

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
I don't believe it's the crank so much as potentially the oil pump at risk with lightened one piece crank pulleys, the load of the charger belt on the snout of the crank and that the snout passes through the inner oil pump gear, means any resonance/vibration could be transferred into the pump gear maybe, and potentially affect either of the pump gears which are actually really very brittle,

ATI I have seen it said on here 'need' rebuilding but I don't think this is quite as suggested, yes they are rebuildable, they might only need that if used in certain conditions I'm not so sure, it didn't put me off using them fwiw,
Cheers Sean will almost certainly go OE or decent OE quality replacement (Corteco it similar) when I do it (y)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
Quick update....not too much to say other than its going into my mate tomorrow to have the annoying aux belt area rattling looked at, also I'm hoping he might get time to quickly wang some jubilee clips on the outer exhaust hangers to try and stop the thing from kicking left all the time once driven.

Seem to have picked up a few more stone chips so sorted a few of them with the Chipex kit I have, look OK if not perfect.

Also noticed the start of a tiny bit of lacquer peel on my rear bumper lip...I guess where something's grazed it slightly at some point it's finally decided to start flaking away. I taped up around the area and sprayed a couple of small layers of the spray lacquer I bought for the rear quarter repair and am hoping that stops it in its tracks.

Also the rear quarter is starting to bubble again so am going to have to have a proper look at that at some point sooner rather than later. Figure if I can sand it back, treat it then spot fill, etch prime and paint and lacquer it should put a lid on it until I can get it sorted properly. I have a friend who is an industrial welder (and I will in due course have something interesting Mini related of his to share on here soon) who doesn't usually weld cars but said he'd help me get the metalwork sorted so if it comes to it might do that and hopefully save a few quid on the bodywork repairs.

The gen 1 Minis proclivity to rust is bloody annoying......I keep spending money on the thing to get it even better and it just seems to fight me on that front....keep wondering where it'll spring up next!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
.......been having a long hard think about things and have come to the conclusion that whilst I absolutely adore the car (and I really do) what with CoVid, some work uncertainty etc I might consider moving the car onto a good home for the right sort of offer. Pains me to consider it but I reckon I could probably do with the money in the bank more right now than the car sat on the drive which is pretty much pure indulgence.

I'm open to discussion with anyone on here that might be interested......given the cars a very late facelift, it's relative condition, low miles (considering most are now north of 100k bar some very minor exceptions) and the amount of money that's gone into it in maintenance, mods and improvements (I reckon it's probably one of the most honest, tidy and relatively unfettled ones.....all the major things are done and everything on it works) I'd be looking for about 4k for it which I think is a fair price....also it's freshly serviced and has a years MOT on it.

I'm not desperate to sell it, so won't be giving it away but if it's of interest to anyone feel free to PM me (y)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I know you're in the Brighton area but how close are you to the coast? Salt in the air can really accelerate all things rust.

It's a shame you're having to consider moving the car on, can tell you've looked after it well whilst you've had it. Hopefully things pick up and it stays in your ownership!

301 - 320 of 333 Posts