MiniTorque.com banner

281 - 300 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Glad to hear it’s almost done and back in your hands.

No chance you’d find me in a horse box in this weather!

Fingers cross you will be able to keep it would be such a shame if you have to sell considering the work you’ve done to get it to where it is and working through the typical niggles.

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
Glad to hear it’s almost done and back in your hands.

No chance you’d find me in a horse box in this weather!

Fingers cross you will be able to keep it would be such a shame if you have to sell considering the work you’ve done to get it to where it is and working through the typical niggles.
Cheers mate, looking forward to just going for a good blast!

And yeah 100%....just gonna see how things pan out....I'm hopeful if I SORN it I might be able to arrange some safe dry storage for it but all if's but's and maybe's at the mo. Selling it will be a worst case (y)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
......so near but so far :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Oil pressure switch issue is sorted (not sure exactly what the issue was but it didn't need replacing), just needs the AC cleaning with the proper anti bac fogging machine, a good check over then it's good to go. Hopefully back today or tomorrow (y)(y)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
So cars back, very happy so far.

Doesn't drive light years different to before but there's certainly not the lazy pick up/lax on-off throttle sensation there was before.....certainly I can tell it wasn't running quite as it ought to have done. Another plus the ticking noise under acceleration has gone too so can only put that down to the faulty aux tensioner or possibly the idler pulley. I don't think there was anything wrong with the PCV valve but was worth changing for piece of mind if anything. A minor oil leak from one of the bolts in the side of the block was noticed as well and that was all resealed and all sorted ...could well have been the oil leak issue I've been experiencing with it of late.

Love the Helix short shifter.......only slight downsides perhaps are that it amplifies the notchiness of the factory change a little bit, also due to having to take off the sealing plate and bugger with the exhaust heat shield to get it to all work nicely some residual heat from the centre section does find its way through the transmission tunnel once the car is hot but on the whole the gearshift is so much nicer and far more precise than stock....certainly far easier to change gear quickly when thrashing it than it was before. Almost go as far to say so far it's up there as the best mod 👍👍

I also fitted my steering wheel domed badge......somewhat on the fende with it TBH....I like the look of it but it's not quite stuck down as well as I hoped despite giving it a solid wipe with isopropyl alcohol beforehand......certainly for the money it's not what I'd call value but has certainly tidied up the badge.....I guess I can always revert/replace it down the line if needed.......

Next on the list is to have a go at finishing off my rear 3/4 touch up with some light sanding then application of the chipex kit....also my Gtechniq C4 turned up so as soon as I have a chance to clean it and also some application pads I'll be putting that on the trim too.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
Had a go with the chipex......made it worse :ROFLMAO:

It's true what they say works well on a chip...something bigger not so good. Think I'll probably just get it smart repaired again in due course and see how it goes as it definitely doesn't seem to be corroding now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also fitted my steering wheel domed badge......somewhat on the fende with it TBH....I like the look of it but it's not quite stuck down as well as I hoped despite giving it a solid wipe with isopropyl alcohol beforehand......certainly for the money it's not what I'd call value but has certainly tidied up the badge.....I guess I can always revert/replace it down the line if needed.......
Congrats on getting the car back, and glad it feels better to you! Always a good feeling.

I ended up buying one of these steering wheel badges as well, as mine was damaged and i just ended up tearing it out as part of my interior dye / cleanup process. I know it sticks on top of the stock badge, so I think i might 3D print a little holder for it to adhere onto that is the same shape, and fit that into the original slot for a nice solid fit. If I am successful, I'll be sure to let you know!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Glad you’ve got it back and it’s feeling better than before along with some other novels getting sorted in the process.

Hopefully it will leave you be for a while to enjoy it now and not have to be fault finding!

Shame about the rear 1/4 repair but good that it doesn’t look to be corroding any further.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
In fairness it's not that bad, up close doesn't look so wonderful but I do reckon with a bit more patience, painting, wet and drying and a decent compound like 3M Perfect it or G3 I can get it better. One thing I will say about the chipex paint is it goes on quite nicely smeared with a nitrile glove and bugger me does it dry quickly :ROFLMAO:

Problem with these things I always end up rushing it 😂

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
Well I am not gonna be beaten by this b'stard👍👍

Decided to take a slightly different approach with the 3/4 bodywork issue.

This morning (whilst our youngest napped...well family men have to grab their chances!) I masked up the affected area then using the chipex touch up paint and a nitrile gloved hand dabbed then wiped the paint as so to leave as flatter area of paint across the whole area. I put down about three layers all in all. The finish whilst not smooth is light years better than what a brush would have laid down. My plan now is to let it cure for a few days.

As I don't have any decent cutting compound I bit the bullet and bought some Farecla G3 Premium compound and also their wax polish as a 3 stage cut and polish. I also bought a few micro fibre applicators for the Gtechniq so will use those likely to apply and a microfibre cloth to buff off.

I'm hoping with an initial 3M 600 grit dry sand, then wetted sand and once smooth enough a light G3 compound and polish should see it right.

As it looks right now......

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
If it is just cosmetic and protection for the future have you thought about attempting with rattle cans. On our family R52 this is what I achieved in exactly the same place, is it going to need to be cut out and welded in the future if the car stays with us but it was treated with Bilthammer anti corrosion products before painting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
Yeah tis a good shout and might consider it. Was hoping I might be able to wet sand it then compound and polish it to get it flat and shiny again but Ive realised the G3 I've ordered needs a machine to work with it really (they do one that works by hand, I bought the other) and higher grit paper.......all starts getting a bit costly doesn't it?!

I've asked the reseller on Amazon to cancel my order (whether that happens or not we'll see).

Going to give it some thought.......I might end up getting it smart repaired again as it doesn't seem to be corroding now in any case.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
Right so 110% leaving it here now......

The paint had properly hardened so I masked it off, wet sanded it (using a water bottle to keep it continually wet) to the point most of the lipping from the previous masking and the worst of the stroke lines were gone and it was feeling smooth.

Light coat of the devil's brew (T Cut.....I don't like the stuff much but it has its uses) then polished.

Don't get me wrong to say it's perfect would be complete bull but if you're a few feet away from the car you'd not notice it and close up it's not that bad. With access to a DA and some decent compound treading carefully I could get it a bit better but honestly I can't be assed!

I might consider rattle canning it at some stage with proper primer, base and clear coats but by the time I've bought the cans and put the effort in I reckon I am probably not too far off getting it professionally repaired again. Gonna have to wait now in these uncertain times but it should hold up OK until I get a chance to get something done about it.......looking back a shame I probably didn't kick the smart repairer harder just to redo it but hey, I got my money back so shouldn't grumble 👍

Oh and I can properly stand up for spraying the inner cavities etc with lithium grease, is all holding up well. Makes me think the rustproofing they applied to these cars in places was either somewhat inadequate or had just degraded after so many years. A very easy thing to do if you're happy to pop your tail lamps out.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
Well I can well and truly say Gtechniq G4 is money well spent!

I bought the 15ml bottle and have managed using 2 of the 4 supplied pads and c. half the bottle to do all of the lower plastic trim, the bonnet scuttles, washer jets on the bonnet, the black on the wing mirrors and also the rubbers around the door handles. All came up a treat and wasn't being that reserved with the bottle pours either. As others say a little goes a bloody long way!

It also did a rather good job of bringing back the red in the seatbelt buckle buttons in the front which is rather good.

Was going to do the gutter trims and window rubbers too but they are looking pretty good and couldn't be bothered 😂

Now to see how long it lasts!

Some pics of done Vs not done and the finished product......

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Looks really good! Completely transforms the car when the trim is on point :cool:

Heard good things about G4, should last very well indeed.

281 - 300 of 333 Posts