MiniTorque.com banner

261 - 280 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Just bought a Chipex kit to have another go at the rear quarter issue once the car is back.....if it makes it good enough for me not to go have it painted for the foreseeable be 38 quid well spent....will no doubt come in useful on the bonnet as well 🤣

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #262 (Edited)
So cars still with my mate, and I'm currently on holiday in Yorkshire where the heavens seem to be constantly open today hence the post (y) 🤣

Not sure how the cars coming along; know my mates super busy and my car isn't a priority so not gonna hound him...maybe that I'll get it back sometime next week but we'll see.

I don't plan on putting any real money into it for a good while now as it's got quite tiresome of late so just hoping it comes back running properly.....I do want to look to replace the rear lights and rear fog lamp with new Valeo OEM items sometime but it's not urgent.

When it's back will need to give it a good clean, have a go with the chipex kit to tidy up my touchup on the rear (maybe some of the stone chips as well) which I will update on....I will also probably also bite the bullet and get some Gtechniq trim restorer soon too as it'd be nice not to have to keep watching the trim fading between washes (y)

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Its a horrible feeling having the toy away being worked on and you dont know when its coming back.
Ring your mate and say the daily driver has packed up and you need the mini back asap 😋

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Its a horrible feeling having the toy away being worked on and you dont know when its coming back.
Ring your mate and say the daily driver has packed up and you need the mini back asap 😋
He'll probs just tell me to get stuffed m8 :ROFLMAO:(y)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hopefully it will be good to you for a while when it’s back.

Will be nice when you jump back in it after so long after being only in the family wagon.

Hadn’t driven mine for almost two weeks until today due to arrival of little one and it felt awesome :cool:

New lights will make a big difference when they come around really freshens it up.

Hope the weather brightens up, enjoy the rest of your Hol!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
Hopefully it will be good to you for a while when it’s back.

Will be nice when you jump back in it after so long after being only in the family wagon.

Hadn’t driven mine for almost two weeks until today due to arrival of little one and it felt awesome :cool:

New lights will make a big difference when they come around really freshens it up.

Hope the weather brightens up, enjoy the rest of your Hol!
Cheers bud I do too, these cars do seem to be feast or famine....loving it one minute, hating on it for all the niggles the next but guess that's just what us Mini owners get used too hey?!

Ahhhh many congrats on the new baby, my youngest is two, seems so long ago she arrived now. Enjoy it as they really don't stay little long do they lol 👍👍

Will do cheers, love Yorkshire lovely part of the world, weather definitely an improvement today which is welcome 👍

·
Registered
255 Posts
Haha those niggles build character that’s for sure.

Forgot to mention I found Car Pro PERL pretty good for the exterior trim, can also be used on tyres, engine plastics etc. Can’t compare to gtechniq though as have never used it.

Thanks! That’s definitely the case, changing so much already.

Agreed, absolutely stunning part of the country!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Well some good news.....mate had said the car is mostly done, a few bits to sort but should hopefully be all sorted some time this week. Look forward to getting it back, have actually really missed it (y) (y)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
Haha those niggles build character that’s for sure.

Forgot to mention I found Car Pro PERL pretty good for the exterior trim, can also be used on tyres, engine plastics etc. Can’t compare to gtechniq though as have never used it.

Thanks! That’s definitely the case, changing so much already.

Agreed, absolutely stunning part of the country!
Thanks mate I will have a look at Car Pro PERL (y)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
...after some research I've bit the bullet and bought some Gtechniq C4. Was expensive but gather it gets the job done and a little goes a long way...and can last 2 years.

Once I've applied it will update here (y) (y)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #271 (Edited)
.....just caught up with my mate.....feel pretty bad as he's manic busy and pretty harassed (and could do without my shite to be dealing with as well :ROFLMAO:) but sounds as though we are really getting somewhere.

So this is done....

serviced (Motul 5W40 oil/OE filter)

PU engine mount

New PCV valve

New aux tensioner and Conti 6PK1360 belt

New idler pulley

New vac pipe from throttle body to TMAP (as expected it was broken at the TMAP, no doubt the cause of the poor running and engine codes)

All other vac pipes OK

Mani Flexi appears OK

Helix quick shift is on (mate says the throw is loads shorter but currently it's fouling on the exhaust heat shield so that needs a bit of tweaking)

I assume the other bits like fan switch, PS header clips etc will be done but didn't mention it.....

Main thing holding up proceedings is the Exhaust as the captive bolts holding the brackets onto the boot floor have snapped....think he's gonna probably drill them out and put some new bolts in...not hard just a bit fiddly and time consuming.

Think he's also going to run a cleaner through my AC (he regassed it for me when he did the SC service of course) but once this is done and the exhaust should be ready to collect! Pleased is an understatement...though not really looking forward to the bill 😭

Once I have it back I plan to do a bit more work on the rear 3/4.....I'm going to wet and dry sand my existing handiwork so it's flatter...spot putty the areas, sand again then use the chipex kit to try and make a flat, almost seamless repair.....fingers crossed it works out. Also I will be Gtechniq C4'ing the plastics once it's had a wash......I did also buy it a little treat ......for the steering wheel......from whatageek designs....bit of a rip for 7 quid plus postage but probably the best option I've found that's OEMish that doesn't involve destructing the existing badge or replacing the airbag

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Great news on finding the faulty vac pipe, hopefully that solves your poor running.

Nice batch of other items being done also, will feel so good once you have it back!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
Great news on finding the faulty vac pipe, hopefully that solves your poor running.

Nice batch of other items being done also, will feel so good once you have it back!
Cheers pal, look forward to having it back hopefully not too much longer (y) (y)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
......so I've pretty much decided down the line I am probably going to ditch the run flats.

I use the car so little that TBH mobility isn't the big issue I made it out to be, I can always get a mobility kit and I (currently) have good AA cover so I figure why bloody worry.

I'm liking Hankooks at the moment as I find they mix really good wet and dry performance and half decent wear characteristics for reasonable money so expect a set of 215 45 Ventus V12 evo2 might end up on it longer term 👍👍

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
if you use it so little anyway, they'll perish before they wear, so is there a major reason not to consider a road legal semi slick?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
if you use it so little anyway, they'll perish before they wear, so is there a major reason not to consider a road legal semi slick?
No this is very true Sean, maybe so but cost would be a factor. I see you run Federals right? Would you recommend something like those?....and TBH when I say use it little I probably do 2.5k a year in it or so....

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don’t have vast experience of road legal track tyres but have been extremely impressed with the AD08RS that I swapped the run flats for, give plenty of grip in the dry compared to the run flats, still have a slightly stiffer sidewall than normal tyres which helps the feel of turn in. Haven’t given them beans in the wet but apparently they can handle wet weather ok if sensible

Compound wise I know there was a change due to EU regs from the AD08R which for those that have experienced them made a difference to grip.

Like you the mini isn’t used anywhere near as much as the daily so happy to sacrifice some poor weather performance for the benefits gained in the dry.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
I don’t have vast experience of road legal track tyres but have been extremely impressed with the AD08RS that I swapped the run flats for, give plenty of grip in the dry compared to the run flats, still have a slightly stiffer sidewall than normal tyres which helps the feel of turn in. Haven’t given them beans in the wet but apparently they can handle wet weather ok if sensible

Compound wise I know there was a change due to EU regs from the AD08R which for those that have experienced them made a difference to grip.

Like you the mini isn’t used anywhere near as much as the daily so happy to sacrifice some poor weather performance for the benefits gained in the dry.
Cheers pal will give the Yoko's a looky (y)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
So some good news on the car...should at the very latest have it back by the end of the week.

Some reassuring news was that the map sensor vacuum pipe wasn't disturbed when the SC service was done so it's possibly been breaking up/broken since I've had the car....go as far to explain the occasional rough running (which did get a bit worse and led me to change the coil and leads), rich running and poor MPG (not that it's ever good anyway but it's been worse than I think it should be). Also my fan switch it transpires is OK, tested via his diagnostics machine telling the ECU to trigger stage 1 and stage 2 they both worked so that's good.

He had the dash apart to check the cluster was working OK RE the oil pressure issue but confirmed it works when tested from the hidden test menu so is going to look into whether the switch is disconnected or needs replacing.

Only other things are remounting the exhaust and sorting the heat shield so it doesn't foul the Helix (note he's kept the shifter panel off just the heat shield for the exhaust itself is causing a tiny bit of a problem, just needs bending around I expect).....so hopefully come Friday it'll be back on the drive running as it should. Although they no doubt probably didn't need doing the new PCV and idler pulleys are reasonable preventive steps....the former may well help quell the minor oil leak it's been suffering. I will at some point address some of the more likely gaskets but the thing has been such a bind of late it will have to wait a while (y)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #280 (Edited)
So car didn't quite get finished off on Friday, mate had a horsebox to line out for a customer which given the weather I don't envy him in that task one little bit!!!

Anyways it's practically done, only real outstanding issue on it I gather is the oil pressure light. It definitely isn't the cluster so either there's a fault with the switch, it's not connected properly or there may be a fault in the cable perhaps. Strange thing is the cars not logging any related codes either. I've said I can live with it not working short term if needs be as clearly the cars running fine and has oil pressure but it does need sorting.

Like many others due to how times are right now I might be faced with SORNing the car for a while soon, worst case selling it being that it's MOT expires early Sept, its a bit of a money pit and arguably a luxury I don't really need at the moment....am hoping I might be able to get it dry stored as a favour which might prevent it being sold. Will have to see how things play out in the coming weeks.

261 - 280 of 333 Posts