MiniTorque.com banner

241 - 260 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Well the car is now with my mate to have the thorough list of work sorted...probably be gone all week.

My mate uses a couple of body shops to do his resto paint jobs and to sort the rear quarter he thinks I'm probably looking at 350/400 quid or so to get it done properly......is gonna have to wait a while I think as getting a bit tired of throwing so much money into the bloody thing at the mo! 🤣

Hopefully it'll run alot better on its return though

·
Registered
136 Posts
Good list of bits getting done there, hopefully it gets to the bottom of the niggles you have been experiencing and you can enjoy it for a bit whilst you plan the next bits 😆

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Good list of bits getting done there, hopefully it gets to the bottom of the niggles you have been experiencing and you can enjoy it for a bit whilst you plan the next bits 😆
I hope so mate 😂 (y)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #246 (Edited)
.......Problem with paintwork issues.....ends up like picking a scab doesnt it :LOL:

So the other evening I managed to get the paint flattened down nicely it ended up pulling (annoyingly) some of the surrounding paint down to the primer level. I therefore then had to "fix" that.

It ain't perfect at any stretch but again you'd have to be looking for it to really see it from a distance and it'll do until I can get it all sorted properly. Better than spread of surface rust for sure too.

I'm now pretty confident the smart repair ended up leaving some rust particles in the paint finish which had resulted in the minor bubbling of the paint happening again....the irony being if I'd insisted on them doing it again it'd probably be sorted but it is what it is. Am hopeful my DIY repair will have put a lid on it. I will in time when I've recovered from the £££££ thrown at the sod in the past couple of months get it repaired properly.

The repair was easy enough to do....just overpainted it by brush with touch up, left it to dry, lacquered it, left it to dry, taped off the surrounding paint and lightly T Cut the area until it flattened off sufficiently then polished it off. Not a miracle cure really but at least leaves it semi presentable.

I did contemplate getting some various grit paper, bondo, decent rattle cans and 2k lacquer and having a go myself at a final repair but colour match and blending will be the problem as theres no leading edge to paint up to on the corner (problem with the Mini being so curvy) so 100% gonna leave it to the experts as I'd probably make an absolute dog's dinner of it 🤣

Definitely think Hyper Blue is also a weak colour when it comes to rust sadly....looks nice but probably not the strongest of paint finishes for the gen 1 Mini.

20200705_200752.jpg

·
Registered
261 Posts
You probably need to get that cut out and new metal welded in. They rust from inside out. Surface repairs won't work and as you know end up being a waste of time and money.

A larger rust patch under my rear light turned out to be the result of surface fixing that never addressed the source of the rust. Became a much bigger job.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
You probably need to get that cut out and new metal welded in. They rust from inside out. Surface repairs won't work and as you know end up being a waste of time and money.

A larger rust patch under my rear light turned out to be the result of surface fixing that never addressed the source of the rust. Became a much bigger job.
Yes mate quite likely. That said the metal underneath seemed pristine and I couldn't see any real problem from behind with the lamp cluster out. I think in my case some surface rust had developed on the seam in the light cluster cavity and had managed to gradually work it's way under the paint. Definitely doesnt seem to be the case the whole panel is being eaten....but that's only what I can see. Will keep an eye on it and look to get it addressed in future if it persists to be an issue (y)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
.....haha so a little bit of maintenance scope creep.....having the idler pulley changed as well just because.

Going corteco crank pulley (OEM was 200 quid + vat....no thanks), OEM oil seal (still 25 quid + vat) and the idler pulley will depend on the prices (still TBC).

Looking forward to getting it back...hopefully in top notch running order too...fingers crossed!

Found out it's still leaking oil from somewhere too, where exactly still TBC but wouldn't be surprised if it weren't the oil pan gasket or rear main seal......never ends does it?!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
I'm sure all will be forgotten once you get it back and take it for a blast, won't be much left to go wrong soon!
I'm hoping it'll be kind to me for a while mate.....bloody better be 🤣 🤣 (y)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #255 (Edited)
Scope of the maintenance has changed a little......I've decided not to do the crank pulley damper and front main seal as already spending a small fortune on the thing and my mate said it wasnt worth doing at this point just because (as it looks just fine). I figure at some point I have to draw the line.

Am going to get the PCV valve changed for an OE one however.

I figure once the clutch needs doing I might well do it all then along with the rear main seal......

·
Registered
136 Posts
😂😂

Scope of the maintenance has changed a little......I've decided not to do the crank pulley damper and front main seal as already spending a small fortune on the thing and my mate said it wasnt worth doing at this point just because (as it looks just fine). I figure at some point I have to draw the line.

Am going to get the PCV valve changed for an OE one however.

I figure once the clutch needs doing I might well do it all then along with the rear main seal......
And an LSD whilst it's apart.... 😁

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
.....oh and my exhaust hanger bolts have sheared (whilst mate was trying to adjust the exhaust)....another thing to sort 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
136 Posts
😂 Good stuff!

Sheared bolts always scare me when working on cars of age at home, at least it's happened in his capable hands.

241 - 260 of 282 Posts