MiniTorque.com banner

221 - 240 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #221 (Edited)
Nice work gents :cool:
Cheers bud, definitely works by the way. Dimming on the mirror I have seems very subtle because its green and am used to having a black tint mirror on my daily that goes dark to the point it's like someone's turned off the lights!

Tested it a few times....I gradually start looking very seasick in the reflection.....let go of the sensor and springs back to normal quite amusing 👍🤣

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
So guys Maccmikes PU mount is on it's way so am looking forward to receiving that. I think my current one is that shot its led to my exhaust being moved around from the engine movement....keep having to push the exhaust back to centre 🤣👍

Also looking at even more bloody money being spent.....been putting it off as even a decent pattern part ain't cheap but as the belt and tensioner is gonna be off the car figure it's high time I get the front main seal and pulley damper replaced. I get a ticking under acceleration which definitely isnt the chain and have put it down to being my crank pulley. Figure I will in time get the clutch and rear main seal done but enoughs enough for now 😂

Also I think my rough running will be down to a loose or broken map sensor vacuum pipe so that needs investigating too.....have ordered some new HT leads from Euro Car Sharks just to be sure it's not those.

These things are just money money money, can see quite why these cars end up in such bad shape when people dont spend out on them!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Careful when pushing on until the mount is fixed as it can impact the flexi between the manifold and the cat and it's in an awkward place to get to, manifold off job to repair.

The fluid mount and the lower mount were finished when I bought mine and pretty sure that's what has caused the flexi on mine to fail and emit a slight noise under load since I got it.

Unfortunately due to their age and type of car they are plus the fact that your average car owner tends to opt to keep driving until a point of failure rather than checking for wear and tear or reacting to symptoms that occur.

Prime example being the steering rack on mine, it had failed and the dust boots were holding fluid. The PS pump was replaced not long before it went up for sale, they should have checked it then, although perhaps they did and that was what pushed them to sell?

When's the date for yours to go into the garage?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #224 (Edited)
Careful when pushing on until the mount is fixed as it can impact the flexi between the manifold and the cat and it's in an awkward place to get to, manifold off job to repair.

The fluid mount and the lower mount were finished when I bought mine and pretty sure that's what has caused the flexi on mine to fail and emit a slight noise under load since I got it.

Unfortunately due to their age and type of car they are plus the fact that your average car owner tends to opt to keep driving until a point of failure rather than checking for wear and tear or reacting to symptoms that occur.

Prime example being the steering rack on mine, it had failed and the dust boots were holding fluid. The PS pump was replaced not long before it went up for sale, they should have checked it then, although perhaps they did and that was what pushed them to sell?

When's the date for yours to go into the garage?
Thanks pal, yeah I must confess I am now trying to drive the car infrequently and only then it's a trundle to the shops.

I did go for a bit of a hoon with a mate (a fellow 2006 R53 owner) a week or so ago which looking back on it probably wasnt that sensible but hey ho what's done is done 🤣

I'll get my mate to check the other mounts and the flexi whilst its with him.....if the flexi ends up being shagged I think I'd have to bite the bullet and get a Janspeed and Tomcat sorted as that was my plan longer term anyways......hopefully its OK tho......

Goes in on 6th July....lots to be done incl. Oil service, Helix short shift (and check to see if anything can be done to eliminate the mild neutral slop it has), PU engine mount, belt, tensioner, crank pulley damper and front main seal, vacuum/boost piping check and exhaust checked/recentred/adjusted, 1st speed fan fix.......never ending!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
...I guess that's the sad thing with the 1st Gen Minis...they all rather become money pits as they get older whether they are good or bad. Starting to accept thats rather just the nature of the beast......but if it weren't as fun and as endearing as it is I think I'd have packed in with it some time ago 🤣👍

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
are you sure the noise under load isn't just manifold related?

if renewing the crank damper try to avoid ebay junk, it might do the job and fit etc but try to get it off and a world of aggro might be the outcome, just sayin'. Two options, FL OEM, or ATI imo, at least that I've got off ok haha.

as above, if not proactive with repairs, anyone will spend more reacting to failures, also just guessing at solutions inevitably leads to similar, unfortunately where labour costs can be involved some might be tempted to take the approach of a 'while one is in there' to add other stuff, although if only ever using cheap factor parts in lieu of often better quality OEM items or at least trying to get OEM quality which could still outlast a new cheap version, that might not necessarily be a great way to curb costs in the long term.

Most won't be keeping the car for another 15 years though will they so probably won't care, the knock on is a next owner having to do it, the result eventually is having various manufacturer parts scattered all over the place. Nobody keeps a record of what went where I'm sure, joints and bushes, pulleys, clutches, shafts, service stuff. Most garages don't give anyone an option, they just use parts with the best margin, so that makes it worse, people couldn't have a record if they wanted haha. Most aren't bothered like I say.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Could well be Sean, that said it's done it since I've had the car and when I had the Milltek installed my mate made no noises about manifold leaks etc. I will get him to check it out however.

It is only that I have read that people have experienced a similar ticking that's not audible unless being driven under load and its ended up being the pulley damper at fault.....gather these are a bit of a weak point on the car whether they've split/starting to split or not and can just become noisy.

Know exactly what you mean about cheap parts....I do try to get OEM where possible but sometimes availability and the price of them just makes it untenable. The pulley damper will probably end up being Corteco or similar which I gather is OK...gonna leave it to my mate to source. Is times like this I wish I was more handy with the spanners but cest la vie such is life 😂 (y)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
To be fair as well, worth bearing in mind it's a 2nd car that isnt key to us being able to get around. It's more a play thing for me and occasional run about for the wife and kids if I am ever away for work with our main car. Its only done about 2k in the last 14/15 months I've had it. I do however want to get it to a point it can be relied upon as I might look to take it on a run for work at some point....unlikely due to the fuel consumption but is a maybe.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
...christ well it's just one thing after another with this thing 🤣 🤣

So my leads turned up from Euro Car Sharks......Prospark branded but I assume ECP own brand (or commissioned) anyway. Seem much as well made as the OE ones, fitted OK and the right lengths etc...runs fine with them too. Made in the UK and came with a little cable retainer which has meant I've been able to tidy the layout of the wires a bit which was handy.

Pick up seems a bit better with the new leads...might be placebo but seems a little better.

However after changing them and cranking the car the first time the P1242 code appears again along with P0138 (O2 sensor circuit high voltage bank 1 sensor 2) which is lambda related. Cleared both codes, crank again no issues, go for a drive and all is well so hoping that might just be from changing the leads over.......

However......I have also noticed I have NO oil pressure light.....like none what so ever. I think it might have been this way for a little bit but I've only just noticed. Any ideas why this might be? Thinking my pressure switch might be goosed or may have become disconnected or something (probs when the car was in bits having the SC service)......cant imagine the dash light itself will have failed will it (know it has yellow and red lighting in it). Opinions welcomed!!

20200630_132848.jpg
Screenshot_20200630-131009_Carista.jpg
IMG-20200630-WA0010.jpeg

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Well it's not the cluster as its passed the cluster test with flying colours.....reassuring to know it isnt the cluster!!

IMG-20200630-WA0010.jpeg
20200630_144111.jpg
20200630_144104.jpg

I know it was unlikely to do ought but I also did the 21 cluster reset (which I understand is similar to disconnecting the battery).

I wasnt expecting to do shit.....but you know what whilst beforehand (even after the HT lead change) it was running a bit crap....now it seems to start and idle alot more smoothly and without the hesitation/feeling of wanting to misfire on quick throttle on/off.....most strange as my understanding is this doesnt reset anything in the actual DME/ECU.

I don't know whether it was just a one off thing (gonna take it for a drive in a bit to see how it is) or if it's taken a couple of starts for the new leads to settle but there seems to have been an improvement which isn't just placebo....watch this space!!

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
people disconnect the oil pressure switches due to stuff, you'll be able to see if so, ECP have switches if required, the last few I've bought have been genuine ones, as in BMW labelled

maybe in doing things with the dash you've reset the adaptions somehow, which can make them seem a little different

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
people disconnect the oil pressure switches due to stuff, you'll be able to see if so, ECP have switches if required, the last few I've bought have been genuine ones, as in BMW labelled

maybe in doing things with the dash you've reset the adaptions somehow, which can make them seem a little different
Cheers Sean, I guess no dash light means disconnected most likely then? Will get it checked out.

Have to say after the dash cluster reset and the replacement leads it seems to be running better than it did, though putting it down mostly to the leads.

I think my cars throttle body MAP vacuum pipe is leaking TBH.....when the cars running at idle I can hear quite an obvious hissing from that area (by the airbox).....I wonder whether it was going and has probably gone as a result of the SC service it had (as in most likely put together again but hasnt stayed together).

With the codes it's been throwing and the wobbly idling etc I think it'd make sense?

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
it's also worth checking the left breather tube is connected to the boot

Reactions: pipsyp

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
it's also worth checking the left breather tube is connected to the boot
Is that the one that goes into the back of the IC horn m8? Looks attached at that end for what its worth.

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
rocker cover to intake boot

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #236 (Edited)
So the failed rear quarter repair was showing some v minor signs of bubbling under the paint again so did some investigating.

Peeled a little of the paint back to find there was still evidence of rust particles there but the metal underneath looked sound enough. Can only think it wasnt sanded back far enough originally or some rust particles were left behind when the new paint was applied. In any case touched it back in, lacquered and polished it back and it looks OK.....not perfect close up of course but in the flesh you'd hardly tell unless you were looking for it.

I figure in time I'll have to get it looked at properly by a bodyshop but for now it'll do and I'll just keep an eye on it. Am glad I got my money back on that tho now (y) (y)
15936876210966303588142368158810.jpg

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Well wasnt overly happy so after a bit more touching in, lacquering and flattening off has ended up like this. Better I think certainly much smoother and less obvious to the eye

Where the paintwork had been originally repaired the paint is relatively thin and kept seeing hints of the primer they used poking through in a couple of tiny places so called it a day.

20200702_172621.jpg

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good job on getting your money back for it and also for the temp repair really have to look for it. Hopefully that should halt the spread!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Good job on getting your money back for it and also for the temp repair really have to look for it. Hopefully that should halt the spread!
Cheers man, bit frustrating but hopefully keeps it at bay hey?!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
.....So cars going in tomorrow for what is now quite the list of work. I never thought a Mini would nearly end up bankrupting me but it's running me feckin close at the moment bastard thing 🤣 🤣

This in no particular order (and I'll probably miss something....I wrote it all down last night and was a job in itself)........

Oil service and pollen filter using genuine parts and Motul 5w40 oil

New crank pulley damper, front main oil seal, tensioner and belt

Check for vacuum/boost leaks, particularly around the IC boots and TMAP sensor (I think my TMAP sensor vac line is loose or buggered completely contributing to the poor running/throttle response particularly when cold....definitely can hear quite a hiss from that area at idle....guess we'll see)

Check PCV valve operation and replace if necessary.

Replace top engine mount for Maccmikes PU filled beauty and check other mounts for possible damage due to top mount failure

Check manifold flexi for damage/leaks

Replace PS fluid reservoir clips due to fluid weep from tank

Replace fan switch (to resolve 1st speed fan issue)

Re-centre and drop exhaust back box (currently vibrates against valance and has melted it ever so slightly in one place...not that you'd notice)

Fit Helix Short shift and try and sort out the minor gearlever slop in neutral - the only mod but one I am v much looking forward to.

After that little lot I dont plan on touching the car for a good while as what with the recent supercharger service and water pump I've spent a lot on it of late.....really just want it running well and up to full power so I can just enjoy it for the time being. Certainly the thing was rapid with the pulley until the belt slackened off so having that performance back will be welcomed....fingers crossed!!

221 - 240 of 245 Posts