MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S with Milltek etc.
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Only joined a moment ago but I've been on the forum quite a bit in the past for advice so thought it was about time I joined and thought I might as well put some details up about my car...if anything might give one or two of you something to read for a bit!

So this is my 2nd 1st gen Mini....I very briefly bought and ran a 2005 facelift BRG Cooper with 18" R105 JCW wheels which I really liked....but after owning the car a few weeks this S came up for sale just around the corner from me (a car I had coveted and hoped would come up for sale...and it did) and I couldn't not buy it. The Cooper had to go sadly but I cant say I really regret the change!

So the car is a June 2006 build with a nice optional spec of Chilli Pack with Black half leather interior, Bullets, LSD, Sun Protection Glass and Chrome mirror caps (not something I personally would have chosen but nice all the same). Had just a shade over 80k miles, excellent history and was generally in excellent all round condition. Currently on just over 82k.

Main reason I was keen to buy it was down to it's relatively low miles, great history and that it had obviously been very well cared for.

Car was completely stock when I got it bar some different exhaust tips (cant say I'm a lover of the coke cans anyway) and a half decent Sony DAB/Bluetooth head unit but I've since done some basic mods to it to make it a bit more interesting.

Was originally my intention to keep it completely stock as whilst I've bought it for a bit of fun and as an A to B car it was also somewhat with the intention of getting it as close to A1 as my pocket can justify with the hope values will rise and it might do me well one day if I ever choose to sell it....not that that's seeming likely! However upon getting it home shortly afterwards I found both back boxes were shot to bits and was a case of replacing the exhaust before its impending MOT......with the OE item being so expensive I went Milltek non res catback. Loud but I like it.

When I got the car I very quickly had it Inspection II serviced with an OE service kit and decent to specification oil but went a step further and had the gearbox oil and fuel filter changed as well. I also found the Xenon pump had failed...thankfully it was just the pump so a cheap breakers part later and they were fully working again. More recently had the supercharger serviced as well as a preventative measure.

Had the thing fully stripped down and checked, rotors all good for the miles, no play in the bearings and all looking good inside both gear cases and the PTO linkage was fine. Tons of oil came out both ends too (just very black) so was reassuring to know the seals are good it's in very good health. All banged back together with the correct loctite 574 anaerobic sealer and filled with proper spec oil. Naturally put a new water pump on, all new related seals, new link pipe to the BPV and the crank sensor o ring was replaced along with the dipstick seal. A big (expensive) job but glad it's done. I have a feeling my crank O ring was leaking like a sieve too so believe its resolved that.

I've done quite a bit of preventive maintenance/improvements on the car as well as I'm quite OCD and the below list covers most of it:-

Heater control panel fan dial replaced (original had its illuminated section pushed in)

Heater control illumination bulbs both replaced (a job I dont want to have to do again in a hurry!)

Both sunvisors replaced (the usual broken mirror flaps)

Front wiper arms replaced with Genuine Mini tems as the originals were badly pitted

Genuine Mini aero wiper blades and rear wiper blade

Genuine Mini OE replacement gearknob (wasnt cheap!)

Genuine Mini OE replacement handbrake lever in black (was cheap!)

Genuine Mini sport antenna to replace the original whip antenna which had seen better days

Genuine Mini 3rd brake light replacement (old one had lost a couple of LEDs and fell apart on removal!)

Genuine Mini rear tailgate handle gasket replacement (original hadnt failed it transpires but it's been done).

Drivers door woofer blew so replaced both woofers witn 6.5" JBL polypropylene units from a component set with spacers and wiring harnesses (certainly take more punishment and should last longer) retained the stock tweeters and rear 6x9s as they are fine.

Fixed a broken rear 12v socket and replaced the front one. Also got rid of the lighter in place of an OE cigar socket blank (how OCD is that!)

My remaining plans for the car are:-

Get some minor rust fixed that's appeared at the bottom of the rear tail lights....most frustrating as they were perfect weeks ago so a very recent thing.

Get the wheels refurbished in BMW Orbit Grey and have the front Chinese ditchfinder runflats changed for Hankook S1 Evo 2's (BMW Mini RSC approved....have already done the rears).

Install an Orranje Stelth intake

Replace the mirror caps with white painted genuine OE items to match the roof (would have been how I would have ordered it....had a disastrous effort with plastidipping which I wont attempt!).

I might do the R56 Cooper S brake conversion in time when the front brakes need work.

Anyway hope that's kept a few of you busy for a few....I will post some pics separately.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
IMG_20190512_101853.jpg

My old BRG Cooper.....was a decent car and would have stayed had I could have afforded to keep both. Wheels were shagged but would have been lovely with a refurb...part of me still regrets not getting them swapped over.

Loved the colour of this thing as well, being all completely green. If I could have picked up an R53 in the same combo would have been the dream.

This was actually a really nice car....not as well loved as my R53 but surprisingly lower miles (just below 80k) and the spec was quite nice. It had the pepper pack so all the little bits that are good from the Chilli pack bar the seats, boot spoiler and (importantly) stupid hard suspension but it did also have the visibility pack which I must say is something I do miss on the R53. The heated screen was a bit of a trinket TBH (it did work) but I do miss having an auto dim mirror and auto lights (wipers not so bothered about as they were crap).

Bar some fairly long running issues with it spilling coolant (which turned out to be nothing more than faulty pressurised thermostat caps...following a thermostat replacement, febi cap which didn't work then an OE one that did) didn't give me an ounce of bother.

Also had both the internal and external chrome packs which whilst not really my thing did wear well (the interior chrome unmarked, whereas the regular grey finish in the R53 marks if you breath on it lol).

Did OK out of selling it, wouldn't say I quite got my money back but it wasnt too bad....new owners got a good little car there.

In some ways I miss it....it wasnt slow and in certain respects was as much fun to rag around as an R53.....mainly because the chassis is so good (this benefited from big wheels and softer suspension IMHO) and you can push it harder without the risk of carrying too much speed (and getting in trouble). Cant help but think these make a seriously great 1st car for a younger (albeit sensible) petrolhead.

I still should have bought some smaller wheels to swap onto it to have kept and refurbed the R105's.....would have done OK out of reselling them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For someone wanting a laugh...here's how not to plastidip......

1. Mass overspray despite masking up
2. The stuff clearly didn't like my Karcher

To be fair I did it in failing light, with a breeze and didn't warm the cans up first. Made such a hash of it decided I wouldn't try again.....but has gotten me to decide white mirrors are the way forward. Blew my bloody S decals of the side of the car though in the process of getting all the dross off the paintwork!
20200502_213428.jpg
20200502_213438.jpg
IMG-20200503-WA0001.jpeg
IMG-20200503-WA0003.jpeg

Is funny....I'm not big into chrome, and I have seriously considered dechroming....but I think these cars are one of the few cars that can wear a bit of chrome quite well....also with respect to keeping the car as standard as possible I've decided against it. The wing mirror caps are a step too far though 🤣

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Hi, welcome.
I like that version of blue and not averse to a bit of chrome too. Not sure Id want the chrome mirrors though.
Im glad you did swap the wheels over from the green one 🤢
Great work already, I look forward to seeing more updates 👍

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Maccmike. Mines probably a bit boring compared to some as I wont be going very crazy at all with it....but hopefully people will appreciate it being a tidy car and the originality of it.

Yeah I guess the wheels do divide opinion....they were genuine JCW R105 18's.....in good condition worth more than the car ironically. I was originally going to get them refurbed dark grey or black as I hate diamond cut wheels (great when new but dont last). I like the Bullets though and dont mind runflats (appreciate they drive better on normal tyres but I like the mobility they afford) so probably for the best they went with the car.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
I like bullets but theyre not the lightest and then factor in runflats - thats a heavy combo bud. A lighter combo would make a much nicer drive imo.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah for sure, of the Chilli pack wheels available would have been what I would have chosen I guess as every man and their dog had the S spokes back then.

There are other OE wheels I prefer.....the R90's are nice (plain or split rim style) and also quite like the R112 challenge rims.....if I found a set cheap I'd consider it. Not too bothered about the weight to be honest.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
194 Posts
I’ve got a pair of spare oem white mirror caps if your interested in a swap for the chrome ones, took em off my R52 last week as I’ve swapped to black detailing but your chrome caps might look good on mine as I’ve got the convertible chromed up

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve got a pair of spare oem white mirror caps if your interested in a swap for the chrome ones, took em off my R52 last week as I’ve swapped to black detailing but your chrome caps might look good on mine as I’ve got the convertible chromed up
Hi BigJim, not averse to the idea mate but have to say they arent completely perfect. The drivers one has pitted a bit (looks fine stood by it but close up it's not wonderful) and I think a clip might be busted on the passenger side as it does rattle around slightly. Completely serviceable hence why I've not bothered doing anything yet. Not sure if I'd damage them further getting them off :ROFLMAO:

I also sort of figured I might hold onto them so I could sell them with the car if someone was desperate for that level of originality

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
......I might also in time fit JCW injectors and have it mapped (I have a Celtic Tuning dealer nearby).

Draw to install a tomcat'd Janspeed manifold down the line is quite strong too as like the idea of getting a bit more power whilst retaining the stock cat but I'd imagine it'll end up way too loud...pretty noisy as it is :LOL:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh thank fuck for the last post.

Keep the cat in but get a manifold.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
100% mate..... "If" I did the Janspeed I'd tomcat the OE Cat and keep it in....wouldn't decat. If it were silly I'd probably get the res section for my Milltek to try to quieten it down.

I'm on the fence a bit as it's already quite daft with the non res Milltek and dont really want to make it a nightmare to drive around in noise wise....few extra ponies wouldn't go a miss tho!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
.....maybe long term a Newman PH2 cam as well.....keep changing my mind on how far I want to go with it...cant make my mind up 😂😂

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Enjoy the rabbit hole. Let's see how far you go

Get a CatCam.

It's impossible isnt it mate....the lure to do things is too strong lol.

Is the consensus Catcam is better than Newman. Are there any you can get away with without a remap initially? If I did anything I wouldn't want anything too daft...fast road about the limit

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes. Get a CatCam.

Always get a remap.

Lots of wallets and souls lost to the MT lure. It will be on track by next year I bet

🤣🤣

1 - 20 of 86 Posts