MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Cooper S has 6 prior keepers and 112k,

It's got the Chilli pack and factory LSD plus cruise

Chilli Red, Black half leather, very tidy with just a few chips and light marks, notably there are two chips on the roof which is unfortunate when the roof is white but it's fair wear, and the rear bumper on the left has a small crack around 40mm. There are two chips low down on the front screen next to each other between the blade ends, not an MOT concern, and this won't be replaced.

I've already removed the engine, cleaned off all leaked oil, removed the gearbox, cleaned leaked oil from in the bell housing, renewed the clutch with an LUK item, renewed the rear main seal with a Victor Reinz item, and renewed the oil filter housing seal and heat exchanger seals with OEM items, plus the crank sensor 'O' ring with an OEM item.

Oil & filter has been changed, Mann filter used, 5/40 oil.

The car has an aftermarket stock exhaust replacement which I don't think is that old, trims could be better being aftermarket also but they're there.

The car has Bullet rims, Xenons, it's a very quiet motor, drives really well, I've reduced free play at the gear lever and lubricated the linkages. BMW coolant has been used after a full cooling system flush. the fan speeds are tested working, and there are no stored faults in the car.

Work I intend to do is to renew the lower arm rear bushes which will be with stock items as this car is currently totally original in every way at the time of listing, I will also recharge the A/C, and carry out a full wheel alignment after the bushes have been replaced.

As usual, there are documentary photos of work done which the next owner can have some of for their file if required, and more importantly should the next owner wish to modify the car and source such modifications from me, then certain parts can be installed labour FOC, or others at a reduced labour value. So performance cam, supercharger pulley, coilovers, ARB, brakes, hoses, exhaust, you get the idea, parts at list, labour to be agreed where applicable.

Not a 'perfect' car, but an honest and very tidy original one, that will be in demonstrably nicer mechanical order than many at this price or higher. My opinion of course, so come and see it.

There are option wheels which include Crown style that need refurbishing, this can be done by agreement, or I have R98's in very nice condition that separate easily still, with all original titanium bolts, these are a cost option.

There are budget non run flats fitted in 205/45r17 but run flats are available in Dunlop/Firestone mix.

There is no damage history, the car is MOT's to next year, Feb I think, it can be renewed now after a deposit is received if required.

I can see some brake pipes have been replaced, rear discs look very recent, and certainly I noticed the NSF wheel bearing is also.

That covers most of it, any questions ask away, any inspection welcome here, any mechanical issue you wish to discuss is no problem, if it needs doing it will be done.

I think the above makes it a fairly unique opportunity, it isn't the cheapest, but it isn't covered in years of leaked oil either, or suffering from a heavy or worn clutch, or any cooling system problems.

£3750

WP_20200903_005.jpg

WP_20200903_007.jpg

WP_20200903_013.jpg

WP_20200903_014.jpg

WP_20200903_016.jpg

WP_20200817_028.jpg
WP_20200817_032.jpg

WP_20200817_034.jpg

WP_20200817_042.jpg

WP_20200818_029.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WP_20200818_008.jpg

WP_20200818_015.jpg

WP_20200818_019.jpg

WP_20200818_020.jpg

WP_20200809_024.jpg

WP_20200809_001.jpg

I've fitted a new Exide Premium battery to this too, as the other was weak.

Some kerbing exists on the rims but not hideous.

More pics will follow I'm sure....

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
817 Posts
Nice one Sean, looks like a nice one. Useful to have something to price mine against as well....think mines pretty competitive....trying for the same amount👍

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: Dave^

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this now has the front arm rear bushes renewed with Lemforder items

WP_20201104_003.jpg

WP_20201104_002.jpg

WP_20201104_005.jpg

WP_20201104_007.jpg

WP_20201104_009.jpg

WP_20201104_016.jpg

WP_20201104_012.jpg

WP_20201104_013.jpg

Bushes a little tired as you can see 😂

Reactions: Fro-dizzle

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then the rear calipers came off to look at the slide pin bush bore corrosion, common issue, and on this I could feel the car's reluctance to 'roll'. Mostly the O/S is where the issue was. Rear pads and discs are pretty much new. So a simple job.

WP_20201106_001.jpg

WP_20201106_003.jpg

WP_20201106_009.jpg

WP_20201106_011.jpg

WP_20201106_013.jpg

WP_20201106_017.jpg

WP_20201106_020.jpg

WP_20201106_021.jpg

WP_20201106_024.jpg

Quite heavy on this one side, caliper overall in very slightly cleaner condition than the other so not really relevant to apparent age or external condition. I've done many of these with calipers in a variety of conditions.

Cleaned the calipers up a bit, not into painting stuff up. Pads are Brembo. Calipers reset, feels freer now(y)

Gave the wheels a clean behind the spokes, looks like they'd never had it done😂 can't see it but looks better, didn't take pics.

I also had some other SS+ rear shocks so swapped them for the existing, only because the OS was pretty rusty, the replacement still is a bit but it's much better, spring is too.

Then took it for four wheel alignment. Had the target data changed to reflect what setting I wanted, just slight variations to toe. So only toeing in a few minutes each side front and rear, with rear camber brought in a little and a thrust angle of zero, steering wheel aligned which was pissing me off (y)🏁 The purpose of deviating from OEM spec is to slightly reduce understeer, preserve front tyre edges, sharpen turn in a touch, and reduce rear tyre inner shoulder wear whilst allowing a slightly better rotation. That's the way I see it. It does introduce a slight left pull doing this but the car is more responsive and suits a slightly more spirited drive imo. If someone wants is to factory numbers I'll change it back but most won't.

Anyway, just info. The car's nice. This isn't a build thread so there's no refurbing going on, just some nice bits to make it better for the next owner.

I'm sooo tempted to stick a final drive kit in this😂 I have one about to reach completion which is going in a pre facelift BKD gearbox, most likely with an ATB diff, and in this totally standard car it would be great to demonstrate just what these kits do for the R53. Just the FD and a simple mild cam with a K&N drop in element and this will fly along. If a light flywheel was added it'd be even better, for an otherwise stock R53 it would be a unique thing on UK roads and an impressive fast road toy.

The box installed has a £3k+ value on it's own. If interested it can be installed ready to go, with said cam if req.

I will re-gas the AC soon enough.

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, yes I most likely will be, currently only two R56 N14 S's with engine refreshes and an R60 with similar, two available and one in progress.... in the MT ads ;O)

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanks, yes I most likely will be, currently only two R56 N14 S's with engine refreshes and an R60 with similar, two available and one in progress.... in the MT ads ;O)
Ok yes I saw the one posted. I like what you're doing, its great to know what's gone into a potential purchase, its a bit of a lottery otherwise.
I'm looking for a Tritec engined R56 2005-2006 with the 6 speed box.

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
708 Posts
Well I’ve had this car 6 months now, looks somewhat different to the pics though!

In that time the only issues I’ve had is a sticky chain tensioner (sorted by Sean) and the track rod ends are seized so they need renewing sooner rather than later

really pleased with it, it’s of course been remapped by 1320 and is putting out 195bhp at the wheels so it’s a bit of a monster now

Sean is also to blame for me buying an R56 as a commute car after he took me out in the R56S he has for sale at the moment!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I’ve had this car 6 months now, looks somewhat different to the pics though!

In that time the only issues I’ve had is a sticky chain tensioner (sorted by Sean) and the track rod ends are seized so they need renewing sooner rather than later

really pleased with it, it’s of course been remapped by 1320 and is putting out 195bhp at the wheels so it’s a bit of a monster now

Sean is also to blame for me buying an R56 as a commute car after he took me out in the R56S he has for sale at the moment!
Very cool to hear the feedback!

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you mean a facelift R53 then, a code unique to the Tritec supercharged motor which has the six speed,

fwiw I do have one that can be available but it would be significantly more money than this car above,

I don't expect for one minute it's for anyone on here actually but I will give some info....

a May '05 car that only has 61,000 miles with a fairly desirable factory spec of chili, visibility, chrono, chrome line in and out, extended storage, lsd, sun protection glass, full black leather, patina trim, split rims, 668 black paint, no sunroof, two working undamaged keys, winter and summer mats, boot liner, all original spec not a bitsa, as well as being in a decent mechanical condition compared to many typical cars for sale.

It was already stripped and rebuilt at 49.5k just with new bearings and cleaned etc.

It isn't advertised, it's just there and largely unused these days bar the odd lift or demo it seems,

It'd end up with a further partial refresh due to reinstatement of stock parts, various things unless the items are bought to be left on/refitted which wouldn't have a labour cost etc. Just that saving would have significant value I'm sure.

It's complicated really, it's got all sorts that nobody would ever pay for in one go so has to go back to stock if ever sold imo, I'd sell those parts to other customers in time as usual if a buyer didn't express a desire to purchase things.

parts actually on it now are:
ZRP 'H' beam con rods and L19 bolts
King race type rod bearings
ARP head studs
Allstage cylinder head
Larger exhaust valves in better quality
Better quality standard size inlet valves
Supertech beehive valve springs with titanium caps
EW02 performance camshaft
GP1 intercooler
JCW210/GP1 air intake in full operating condition with ATI cleaner element fitted new ~2016/17
ATI 0% crank damper
GTT rebuildable aluminium flywheel
Helix sprung clutch disc
GTT 17% pulley (interference fit)
GTT oil catch can
Canton coolant expansion tank
Stant lever vent coolant cap
Vibratechnics competition engine mounts x3
Powerflex Black series lower arm rear bushes, front ARB bushes and steering rack bush
Front ARB currently not installed
Standard (brand) monotube twin perch pillow ball front and rear adjustable coilover suspension
Hotchkis competition 25.5mm rear ARB
R56 trailing arm conversion including calipers and park cables (OEM)
R56S GP2 size front and rear brakes, 330/280 with Brembo 6 pot Monobloc front calipers (BMW Performance variant) all in Phoenix Yellow
Innovate LC1 AFR gauge in left centre dash air vent
ByteTroniK Full Access DME software with various custom maps and Miniport for logging and coms, plus OBD extension cable
ECU Master classic standalone ECU and plug and play adapter with harness routed into glovebox, not mapped,
OEM R112 Challenge style rims bought new in 2017
JCW cat back exhaust fitted new ~2016
Maniflow custom variant of 4:2.1 manifold developed in conjunction with R Longman Racing, in stainless steel (309) with additional wideband port, 200cpi sport cat not fitted,
Bosch (Ford Motorsport) 550cc injectors
FD conversion in semi helical cut 20mph/1,000rpm
Involute 6 speed straight cut dog engagement gearbox conversion 18.5mph/1,000rpm
MFactory ATB differential
R56 OEM wheel bearings all round with R56 larger wheel bolts
R56 rear subframe and 2x control arms
Sparco Rev2 GRP seats
Race Safety Accessories adjustable aluminium rails
Sparco road legal four point safety harnesses (OEM stalks/pre-tensioners deleted) using OEM mount points
Carpeted over rear floor while seats removed
Coolerworx gear lever installed with new cables
Option spark plugs

other bits available include alternative cams and heads including Cosworth and Lohen or JCW and Allstage, BKD gearbox with new helical (quiet) final drive conversion, Quaife diff, KW Clubsports, SPEC alloy flywheel, FK400 clutch kit, TTV steel flywheel, AP Racing clutch kit, Link G4+ ECU, turbo conversion kit, Brembo 4 pot brakes kit (Renault Sport) with GP2 330MM discs and Reyland carriers plus HEL lines with PBS pads, Cobra Suzuka Pro Fit GRP seats, K Sport 330mm 8 pot brakes with two piece discs, Team Dynamics ultra light (and rare) TD1's in 17, BBS RC323's in 17, Cup 2's 215/45, Alta PSRS bushes, Carbon blade adjustable G Wing, probably more, so the options are unlike anything else really, the transmission options alone make this car a very unusual and rare spec for a road car.

so to reinstate things it'd have a new head gasket again, new sump gasket, new clutch disc only (OEM cover and bearing is recent), new rear pads and discs, possibly fronts,

base car is £6k or it can be left in a rapid format at a much higher price. It's easy to work out the rough parts cost.

Currently limited to 250whp @ 8160rpm, max geared (rpm limited) speed ~146mph

some years ago stock:
100_3410.jpg

current:
WP_20190426_010.jpg

worth a mention I suppose ;O)

Reactions: JKo and shiftspark

·
Registered
7 Posts
you mean a facelift R53 then, a code unique to the Tritec supercharged motor which has the six speed,

Currently limited to 250whp @ 8160rpm, max geared (rpm limited) speed ~146mph

current:
View attachment 103738

worth a mention I suppose ;O)
Definitely worth a mention, that's amazing, its a race car really.. I recognize those BMWP 6 Pots as upgrades for my car BMW130i, thanks a lot for sharing this..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts