MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had left the mini sitting for a period of around 6 weeks and stupidly hadn’t and it during that period. I jumped in it and the starter motor just clicked , I thought the battery was just dead so I put jump leads onto the front and the starter turns but it sounds like it’s turning slower than it should and after a few turns it dies , almost seems like it’s not getting enough juice . I’ve charged the battery up and still the same . Tried jump leads on rear of car and still the same . I thought it be an issue with the starter motor so I bought a replacement , fitted it yesterday and still nothing . Starter motor turns once at most at an absolute snails pace . I also checked the engine to chassis earth and that seems ok . Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’ve had a look through the search but can’t see anything that seems similar .

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
When jumping are you leaving the other vehicle running for a while with some low revs before trying to start the mini? Had the same with mine but just left it for a while whilst the leads were connected then tried it and it fired up.

Sounds like your battery is beyond knackered though, have you measured it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you checked that the battery is producing enough power? That would be my first start, even if you charged it again it might not be any good and giving enough power to the starter motor.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
I'd have been fitting another battery before a starter personally

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies , I stupidly assumed that because the battery was less than a year old it should have been ok and it would have jumped regardless . I did go out and leave the jump leads on for longer and the starter did turn a lot quicker and almost enough to get it going

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 195bhp (so far!)
541 Posts
I had a similar issue with my blue car, bought a new battery, started a few times then just wouldn’t start, just click click click, and that was with a 3 day old battery!

bought a new starter as I thought it was that then I went out one morning before actually fitting the new starter and shoved the key in it, turned it on the off chance it would start and low and behold it did!

the issue I had was indeed the earth strap between the engine and body was not tight/secure enough, when I touched it purely by chance after the car started it was red hot to the touch, when I jiggled it to one side by a few MM the heat from the securing bolt on the engine side dissipated instantly andI never had an issue with it starting again!

worth a look at again maybe as mine looked perfect but obviously wasn’t doing the job right, see if there is any heat on the bolt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So, ordered a brand new battery which arrived today , installed and still the same . I’ve taken a video which I’ll try to post if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Ive got The Chase on telly and a crying 4 month old on my knee so will listen again later but could it be failed flywheel/ring gear?

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Id firstly look down to the crank pulley to see if its moving on the ignition, if not Id go with flywheel.
If it is then whip the rocker cover off and see what the chain status is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will need to check this when it’s light and I have the time . It’s odd because when I put on the jump leads the starter seems to go quicker . Almost like it’s not getting enough power

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had left the mini sitting for a period of around 6 weeks and stupidly hadn’t and it during that period. I jumped in it and the starter motor just clicked , I thought the battery was just dead so I put jump leads onto the front and the starter turns but it sounds like it’s turning slower than it should and after a few turns it dies , almost seems like it’s not getting enough juice . I’ve charged the battery up and still the same . Tried jump leads on rear of car and still the same . I thought it be an issue with the starter motor so I bought a replacement , fitted it yesterday and still nothing . Starter motor turns once at most at an absolute snails pace . I also checked the engine to chassis earth and that seems ok . Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’ve had a look through the search but can’t see anything that seems similar .
tap against the gas tank from the down side of the car ... its the fuel pump

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
something quite wrong there by the sounds of it

I doubt very much it's anything to do with the fuel pump:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Tap the side of the car 😂 😂 Ingo youre funny 😂😂
Could try hopping on one leg and counting backwards from 10 in Dutch too 🥴 .

·
Registered
464 Posts
that sounds like there is far more resistance against the starter motor than there should be. Why that is the case needs investigating.

I would try taking out the starter motor and turning the ley to see how the motor turns once disengaged for the flywheel. If it spins freely then the problem is in the engine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I’ve pretty much done most of the above and still can get this bloody thing started. It feels like it’s electrical because when I’m turning the key there is a lot of clicking in the background , anyone any other suggestions

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Sounds like the first place to start is to charge the battery.

Check all high power connections at battery, alternator, starter, engine earths.

Then do a compression test.

Check the plugs for fuel.

Check the plugs are sparking.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts