MiniTorque.com banner

141 - 160 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Excellent work mate, such patience and attention to detail, out of interest are you going to do all the front subframes and stuff once you have got the rear all finished!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Excellent work mate, such patience and attention to detail, out of interest are you going to do all the front subframes and stuff once you have got the rear all finished!
I Will be doing the front, but the length of time this has taken me, it will be at the very earliest next year

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #151 (Edited)
Eventually after close to 10 years of ownership I have replaced the front drivers side speaker.

Unfortunately it never stops there, well the door card was off.

Now in body colour, passenger side to do next.

Door stay has had the rust removed and paint applied, and some sound installation placed on the inside of the door.

Installed speedo and tachometer polished aluminium covers

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Got the passenger door trim repainted in body colour.

I thought I'd have a go at replacing the front wheel bearings and my favourite element of my car (rust) unfortunately has extended the time frame, so not wishing to do half a job I have started trying to eradicate the rust.

Bolts holding the existing bearing in would not move so ended up having to remove the hub.

Soaking in a bucket of bilthammer deox C, never used this before and makes things so much simpler.

Repainted and assembled ready to put back in once I sort out all the other rust.

Sorted out the brake calliper carrier whilst I was in there

Random image before I started all this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Brake calliper carrier repainted

Strut area and arch repainted as the hub needed removing the coil over was taken out also.

Wishbone soaking with the brake disc getting a quick dip in the rust removal solution.

The parts left behind to clean up and paint (awaiting another delivery)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Removed the brake disc from the deox c water bath and it looks like new.

So as I had planned to replace the rear pads I dropped the rear disc in there to.

The ABS sensor would not come out of front hub it was rusted in solid and I ended up breaking it, so I had to purchase a new one.

Sensor hole completely cleaned up with the sensor installed and all bolts torqued correctly.

I have purchased some bilthammer deox c gel to coat parts I did not want to remove at this time.

Driveshaft before and after with the gel coat

Brake calliper piston

Coilover cleaned up with a quick touch up of the top mount

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Removed the wishbone from the magical rust remover bath, gave it a quick going over with a wire brush attachment in the drill, very good results from where I started. Then applied zinc primer and 3 top coats.

The deox c gel has worked well enough on the brake calliper, which has also been given another dusting of paint.

The hub assembly is now complete after receiving a new brake disc backing plate.

I've got the drop link soaking in a new bath of deox c and the drive shaft has had a second coat of the gel.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
It’s a slippery slope this rust removal, I’ve just removed my side skirts on the hunt!
Thankfully everything was OK behind the side skirts, it is of course now coated in far too much cavity wax.

141 - 160 of 196 Posts