MiniTorque.com banner

1.8 Stroker

8K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  Lee07771 
#1 ·
Hi,

Im looking to upgrade my engine in the following year or so and i was looking at RMW 1.8L stroker and i have a couple of questions....i know im annoying :)
RMW is not replying or anwsering phones now its maybe because of covid or bad customer support... so thats why im here

I would really like to have a reliable car so that said i would rather loose a couple of hp that have a blown motor. (already blown one) .. i guess im asking how is the reliability on these stroker kits?

when i will opt for upgrades i will also get a BVH to match and was thinking of a RMW again, does anybody have one that could give me some pointers or maybe so other brands?

and finally, is the stroker actually worth it since i dont know the price... is the good 'ol forged piston and rods and BVH a better choice?

I really appriciate anybody who replies and helps :) thanks you

#4 ·
personally i did get the same vibe from him since i sent him an email regarding this subject and he literally told me nothing about it just the price and delivery rate.... that beeing said, since i live 30min away from crankshaft modification shop i will probably do my crank there and get forged rods and .0.5 overbore forged pistons, and a little crank shave and polish...

#8 ·
Sleeves wont solve the issue. The block itself is crap for running higher power, waterways are not up to it. I've seen a few people I know closely spend fortunes (in one case enough to buy a 911 GT3) trying to make silly power out of a tritec.

Its a small SHOC engine developed on a budget. Its not going to take double its power and last long. Look how often the turbo cars seem to need a rebuild.

If you spent the amount you're thinking of spending on the engine, on the chassis, then you would have a quick mini. 280bhp can be had reliably (ish) out of a Cooper S with bolt on's, going beyond that is the wall of death.

#9 ·
interesting information... ive heard from other people the healthy bottom end is supposedly strong as it goes for non modified engines...

My chassis is 95% already done so thats been taken care of, now at it goes for the engine by your recommendation i was thinking of an BVH some intake/exhaust manifold porting, stock sized forged pistons and forged rods, complete engine ARP bolts, some new cams, 5kg flywheel (already have it just not installed), crank balancing, some bigger injectors, damper, pulley, tune, intercooler, headers, baffled sump..... any more recommendations are welcome... id rather loose a few hp than blow it

#16 ·
Hi,

Im looking to upgrade my engine in the following year or so and i was looking at RMW 1.8L stroker and i have a couple of questions....i know im annoying :)
RMW is not replying or anwsering phones now its maybe because of covid or bad customer support... so thats why im here

I would really like to have a reliable car so that said i would rather loose a couple of hp that have a blown motor. (already blown one) .. i guess im asking how is the reliability on these stroker kits?

when i will opt for upgrades i will also get a BVH to match and was thinking of a RMW again, does anybody have one that could give me some pointers or maybe so other brands?

and finally, is the stroker actually worth it since i dont know the price... is the good 'ol forged piston and rods and BVH a better choice?

I really appriciate anybody who replies and helps :) thanks you
did you leave messages or email me?

#30 ·
sure, let spit in your face and you sit there and take.....

#29 ·
A company called 1320 mini build Turbo R53's which can handle 350 whp on standard rods,block and crank without issues .A customer of theirs (not mentioning his name) does over 30k every year and drives like he stole it with no issues.If you want to be bullet proof then sleeve the block (£2000) with spun ductile sleeves.I am running 270 whp with a TVS conversion without issue on stock bottom end.I personally would not deal with any suppliers that are too far away as if there are any problems you really don't have any control with the outcome and once your money is paid buyer beware.

#31 ·
I've seen nothing but problems with those cars, they are always in the shop getting repaired. You cannot safely run 350whp on stock internals on pump gas. Cylinder pressure is too high. If you understood the engine design you would know that. Those same people said that sleeving it was taking people's money when I did it in 2006 up until a couple years ago when they tried to stem their own blown motors. And from watching people sleeve them in the UK, they have failed at doing it as it's not as easy as they thought with the siamesed walls

#32 ·
I beg to differ jan as i have seen the cars for myself they are run on premium gas not supermarket gas .As far as sleeving goes thats not that difficult as people have been sleeving cars for years over here as long as its measured correctly.There are a few track cars that are sleeved and have been for a few years but it is not publicised so you would not know as people who know don't post on forums anymore as people love to add their comments without knowing all the information.It is a shame because there is a lot of info out there but people keep it to themselves i guess forums have become a victim of their own success.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.