Switchable maps ?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Switchable maps ?

Post Thanks / Like

Switchable maps ?

Is it possible to modify the ecu etc so that you can switch between different programmed maps on the R56 ? Perhaps by utilising the sports button that is already there on the r56 s....

Ive thought recently that it may be a good feature to be able to switch between an mpg/cost saving mode map and sports mode map...

There is the sport button which quickens up the steering and throttle response but I was thinking something along the lines of making the impact bigger by also including an extra 40bhp with the sport button on. ie. normal mode is standard OEM normal driving conditions map / Evolve mpg fuel saving map, while when you hit the sport button the steering/throttle does what it does as normal when you press the sport button but it also switches the car over to your tuned map with all the lovely extra grunt

Im probably over simplifying this concept and it may actually be really difficult/expensive to achieve but is it something that could be done within the current scope of what you can tinker with on the r56 ????

Or would you need some new ECU or electronics and masses of rewiring etc etc ???

Also, does overboost only work when the sport button is on? Cant say ive really noticed it...

Does any of that make sense ?

2. # ADS
    MiniTorque Ads

Post Thanks / Like
    subscribed

Post Thanks / Like
    In theory it should be possible but probably not at the flick of a switch. I think, the complexity lies in the dependencies between boost, fuelling and ignition timing, which will be different in pootling mode and grunt mode.

The M5 has this feature. Switching from P400 to P500 mode adds hundred bhp. But that engine is NA and has throttle bodies per cylinder. Very different from the R56 altogether.

You can always choose to drive the car less aggressively instead. Earlier gear changes for example and selecting a higher gear.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MiniTorque.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    We had this with the E46 M3 and Z4, as that has a sport button which sounds to be the same as the R56. As throttle responce is quicker on both, and steering is stiffer on the Z4 with sport mode activated. But trying to get a different map linked to the ECU map was not an option, so wait and see if the R56 is the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can't. The sports button uses 2 different throttle maps, but that is it. I'm looking into the ability to make WOT only 70% in normal mode and full in sport mode. Not much use in a normal car, but can be useful in a tuned one.

Even a fiat 500 has two different maps for normal and sports mode

Post Thanks / Like
    You can have switchable maps using the Cobb AP unit however I do not know if you can switch maps on the fly.

Another option would be to use a "piggyback" - I had one on my R53 for years with switchable maps that you could change on the fly.

Another option would be to get a sprintbooster type unit.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Could be possible with something like an eboost2? I have one for sale if anyone wants to give it a go

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loui View Post
    Could be possible with something like an eboost2? I have one for sale if anyone wants to give it a go

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducks View Post
    The sports button uses 2 different throttle maps, but that is it.
    Couldnt one of those be tinkered with if it has two ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLC View Post
    You can always choose to drive the car less aggressively instead. Earlier gear changes for example and selecting a higher gear.
    Thats what gets done when in normal/fuel saving mode anyhow. My idea, such that it is, is to be able to bang the performance up with the sports button for the times when you do fancy putting the boot down... kinda along the lines of the M5 button as you mention, where it chucks in another 100bhp at the flick of the switch...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information