EDM Racing Front MINI R50 R53 front wishbone rear brackets

Thread: EDM Racing Front MINI R50 R53 front wishbone rear brackets

Potential Post Whore
    Post Thanks / Like

EDM Racing Front MINI R50 R53 front wishbone rear brackets

Edm Racing are producing the front wishbone rear brackets pre installed with Powerflex bushings. EDM claims, "An easy unbolt- bolt-on solution saving you considerable flaffing about trying to press out the old & press in new bushes.".

Does the subframe have to come off to install these, or is it as described, an easy unbolt, bolt-on solution?

2. # ADS
    MiniTorque Ads

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, subframe off

MT Virgin
    Post Thanks / Like
    To remove the brackets you do need to drop the subframe.

You can change the bushes with the brackets in place and the subframe in situ but you need the BMW tool to do so. Some garages have fabricated a tool to do the same job.

Aftermarket bushes such as Powerflex are easier to fit than the OEM bushes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MiniTorque.com
    Advertisements

MT Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did mine with the subframe off as I was taking it off anyway but I have removed similar bushes on other cars in situ before in a fairly simple way, (especially if refitting with poly bushes) although I didn't notice what access was like to do it this way on the r53.

12mm drill through the rubber of the bush right next to the tube, then a hacksaw blade in this hole to cut the and they come out quite easily with a screwdriver/small prybar.
    Last edited by E-R53; 14/08/19 at 20:41.

Potential Post Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by E-R53 View Post
    I did mine with the subframe off as I was taking it off anyway but I have removed similar bushes on other cars in situ before in a fairly simple way, (especially if refitting with poly bushes) although I didn't notice what access was like to do it this way on the r53.

12mm drill through the rubber of the bush right next to the tube, then a hacksaw blade in this hole to cut the and they come out quite easily with a screwdriver/small prybar.
    Any particular press or technique to get the poly bush in?

MT Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    Poly bushes tend to just pop in but these ones are a bit more difficult as they have a lip on both sides IIRC.

One positive of trying it on the car is that the metal outer is solidly mounted on the car, so it should still work with a bit of lube (OOO ERR MISSUS!) and a large socket to push it in.

Potential Post Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by E-R53 View Post
    Poly bushes tend to just pop in but these ones are a bit more difficult as they have a lip on both sides IIRC.

One positive of trying it on the car is that the metal outer is solidly mounted on the car, so it should still work with a bit of lube (OOO ERR MISSUS!) and a large socket to push it in.
    So, lube it up, ease it in from the front and have a finger at the rear just waiting for the flange to pop through?

MT Regular
    Post Thanks / Like
    That would be my best guess.

Basically if you can remove the old one that is going to be the hardest past.

Thread Information